Still No Time For Lunch

mrbrownstone

I'm 16 days in and still find no time to take a lunch yet punch in a full hour plus my 10 min. Maybe I could actually take some of that in between pick ups like 10 min here or there but right now I'm barely making book working straight through my whole day literally.

I figure I'm not being dishonest because I waste time in different ways cause I'm new. Such as, I may pass stops or couldn't always deliver my grounds with my airs, or loose time not being organized enough. I'm sure there are other ways I loose time too.

Anyway, it seems that the lunch topic is a hot topic around here lately so I'm wondering at what point you guys think I should be able to actually take one? And I also wonder if most guys actually take an hour or just a half hour? How long were you doing the job until you said it was time to actually take a lunch?

Right now I'm doing the best I can everyday but I just don't have the time to eat. I love when people tell me just take 5 min to eat a food bar or something. I would love to but that 5 min may cost me a stop or for that matter 2 stops.

Sent using BrownCafe App

30yearstolife

Make your probation, then take your full hour. If you start becoming more efficient, take 10 minutes to rest. You will end up having more energy and making fewer mistakes. Once you make book, forget about skipping break. Many, many routes have an unrealistic time allowance so don't feel you need to be under allowed. They will also change the allowance if you start coming in early. At some point every driver wises up and does not give them time. The ones who skip break past the initial period are just cheating themselves and their families.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I ran my arse off my first 30 days, and gulped down crackers and cheese when i could. my 31st day, i ate the best lunch I had ever eaten!
you are held to different standards your first 30,so make the most of your shot!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Like stated above, get the job first. Then take your whole hour lunch between the third and fifth hour. If you have too many stops, call your supervisor and put the problem on them. It will get fixed that way. Personally, I take a ten minute break around eleven, take 25 minutes around 1:30-2PM to eat lunch, 10 minutes at four when I finish my pickups, then I take the last fifteen minutes before I drive back to the building. I have no restaurants on my area, I always bring my lunch. I never take lunch back at the building at the end of the day. Thats not "lunch".

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I was taking the full hour all through my packet, but I seemed to catch on quickly. Do what you have to do to get through the first 30, then take your full lunch after that. Anyone who burns through lunch or saves it for the end of the day is not doing themselves or anyone else a favor.

30yearstolife

Saving some lunch for the end of the day on some routes (such as mine) can actually make the paid day longer. I realize this is not usually the case.

Quigley

Saving some lunch for the end of the day on some routes (such as mine) can actually make the paid day longer. I realize this is not usually the case.
I'm confused how that makes your paid day longer. If you take an hour between 12 and 1 get back to the building at 6. Or you skip lunch and come in at 5 and take lunch between 5 and 6. How is that longer? Am I missing something?

9.5er

Once you make it through your 30 days you can then take lunch. I have always taken my lunch break in the middle of the day. It helps me get relax and when I get back to work afterwards I'm focused and more efficient than if I didn't stop.
Taking a break makes a big difference IMO.

32F driver

Definitely take a full hour lunch on day 31 & beyond. UPS will dock your pay 1 hour every day whether you take lunch or not. They have very deep pockets, don't give them an hour of free work.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
You know those days, you just didn't freshen up like you should then you find yourself fighting to make air commitment and you get that itch and you just don't have the time to scratch it?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm 16 days in and still find no time to take a lunch yet punch in a full hour plus my 10 min. Maybe I could actually take some of that in between pick ups like 10 min here or there but right now I'm barely making book working straight through my whole day literally.

I figure I'm not being dishonest because I waste time in different ways cause I'm new. Such as, I may pass stops or couldn't always deliver my grounds with my airs, or loose time not being organized enough. I'm sure there are other ways I loose time too.

Anyway, it seems that the lunch topic is a hot topic around here lately so I'm wondering at what point you guys think I should be able to actually take one? And I also wonder if most guys actually take an hour or just a half hour? How long were you doing the job until you said it was time to actually take a lunch?

Right now I'm doing the best I can everyday but I just don't have the time to eat. I love when people tell me just take 5 min to eat a food bar or something. I would love to but that 5 min may cost me a stop or for that matter 2 stops.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I have a few questions.

1) during the day when you "dont" take a lunch, are you punching out for the lunch and continuing working? Or, are you "NOT" punching out and running a straight day?

2) Are you running the same route, like a training route or are you jumping around from route to route?

3) Have you notified the center team that you are unable to take your state required lunch and breaks and be into the building "ontime" ?

4) When you were trained, did you have a ride along or an "OJS" where the onroad sup spent a few days with you? If so, were you able to take lunch on those days OR did the sup ask you to skip lunch when you were doing the route?

TOS.

upschuck

I would love to see the math to back up your claim.
(-
inf.gif
, z) = 1/2 + 1/
sqrt.gif
(2PI)
lsigma.gif
(k=0..
inf.gif
) [ ( (-1)^k x^(2k+1) ) / ( (2k+1) 2^k k! ) = 7 extra minutes.

Slow down OP. Become smooth, not fast. Smooth doesn't make mistakes. Not making mistakes prevents wasted time. Job gets done right the first time and you'll have time for a break and your numbers will look better.