Still No Time For Lunch

ajax25

I completely agree with the above post I started off focusing on being fast and felt stressed and worn out by the end of the day and still was way over allowed, I'm now on day 24 of my 30 and I've learned how to be smoother and I land somewhere between scratch and 15 min over. Smooth is fast

Sent using BrownCafe App

I completely agree with the above post I started off focusing on being fast and felt stressed and worn out by the end of the day and still was way over allowed, I'm now on day 24 of my 30 and I've learned how to be smoother and I land somewhere between scratch and 15 min over. Smooth is fast

Sent using BrownCafe App

You're welcome, grasshopper.

mrbrownstone

I have a few questions.

1) during the day when you "dont" take a lunch, are you punching out for the lunch and continuing working? Or, are you "NOT" punching out and running a straight day?

2) Are you running the same route, like a training route or are you jumping around from route to route?

3) Have you notified the center team that you are unable to take your state required lunch and breaks and be into the building "ontime" ?

4) When you were trained, did you have a ride along or an "OJS" where the onroad sup spent a few days with you? If so, were you able to take lunch on those days OR did the sup ask you to skip lunch when you were doing the route?

TOS.

1. I punch out but continue to work straight through both my hour and my 10 minute break. In fact I don't even punch out for them until I get back to the building since I don't take them anyway. I work straight through. Don't eat a single thing lol not even a cracker.

2. I'm running the same route and it's a training route.

I haven't notified the center team because I am afraid they will just yell at me for not being fast enough to take a break.

4. When I was trained the 1st 2 days we took a half hour and then a spread out the rest of the hour in between pickups. We never took an hour straight. I think my 3rd day we didn't even take a whole hour.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
1. I punch out but continue to work straight through both my hour and my 10 minute break. In fact I don't even punch out for them until I get back to the building since I don't take them anyway. I work straight through. Don't eat a single thing lol not even a cracker.

2. I'm running the same route and it's a training route.

I haven't notified the center team because I am afraid they will just yell at me for not being fast enough to take a break.

4. When I was trained the 1st 2 days we took a half hour and then a spread out the rest of the hour in between pickups. We never took an hour straight. I think my 3rd day we didn't even take a whole hour.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Always eat at least a snack during the day. Im takin it that you can somewhat multitask, if you cant multitask at all I suggest you turn in your resignation papers now Youngblood lol. Im playing with ya dude, but you get what im saying, its not healthy to not eat anything all day. I always snack on fig newtons during the day when I feel my blood sugar slip in the least little bit.

BigBrown3605

Once you are finished through the 4000 shelf, park the truck under a tree for shade, clock out for lunch, and set up your entire truck for the rest of the day. While you doing this, eat something!!!! Like Jumpman said, its not healthy. I eat a lunch and snack on fruit all day just to keep my energy.

30yearstolife

I would love to see the math to back up your claim.

Easy. I get progressively farther and farther away from my pickups when delivering in the afternoon. If I take my lunch before the pickups, instead of at the end of the day, I am much closer to my pickups (10 miles one way) when I need to break off from deliveries for pickups.
10 miles + 10 miles= 20 miles

Griff

I'm 16 days in and still find no time to take a lunch yet punch in a full hour plus my 10 min. Maybe I could actually take some of that in between pick ups like 10 min here or there but right now I'm barely making book working straight through my whole day literally.

I figure I'm not being dishonest because I waste time in different ways cause I'm new. Such as, I may pass stops or couldn't always deliver my grounds with my airs, or loose time not being organized enough. I'm sure there are other ways I loose time too.

Anyway, it seems that the lunch topic is a hot topic around here lately so I'm wondering at what point you guys think I should be able to actually take one? And I also wonder if most guys actually take an hour or just a half hour? How long were you doing the job until you said it was time to actually take a lunch?

Right now I'm doing the best I can everyday but I just don't have the time to eat. I love when people tell me just take 5 min to eat a food bar or something. I would love to but that 5 min may cost me a stop or for that matter 2 stops.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Problem is you are thinking like UPS management wants you to think. Lunch will cost you a stop or two? Who cares.......

Future

Victory Ride
I ran my arse off my first 30 days, and gulped down crackers and cheese when i could. my 31st day, i ate the best lunch I had ever eaten!
you are held to different standards your first 30,so make the most of your shot!!
Did you was down those cheese and crackers with a little white wine?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Problem is you are thinking like UPS management wants you to think. Lunch will cost you a stop or two? Who cares.......

The kid is trying to qualify----I don't blame him for not wanting to stop for a full hour; however, I do suggest that he eat something during the day. Going the whole day working his butt off without eating a thing is not healthy.

IMO an hour is too long for a meal break. We are required to take 45 minutes but I would prefer lowering that to 30 minutes.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
We get a half hour lunch and two ten minute breaks. I think I would go nuts if I had to sit for an hour while I have stops hanging.

mrbrownstone

Well on Wed I was 2 clicks over and Thurs I was 31 clicks under so it seems like with a little more time I should get better at figuring out how I am doing so I know how to gauge when to eat. Part of my problem besides trying to qualify is that I don't really know if I'm running ahead or behind so it's harder for me to know where I'm at.

Basically I just keep telling myself I'm running behind all day so I push harder.

You guys are right though. I have to get myself to at least have some healthy snacks. Even my family is constantly telling me that I really have to put something down.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

By now you should have some feel that you need to be at this place by this time and can tell if you are running ahead/behind by those types of checkpoints. For example, I normally get to the college by 11. I know it will be a good day when I am there early and that I may need to step it up if I am there later.

Your family is right----you need to eat something during the day.

Geo926

I take about 15, 20 mins to grab a bite to eat. I'll take another 20 mins to sort the truck so it's smooth sailing for the rest of the day. You really don't need the hour every day.