Still no vacation check

M2UPS

My husband has been with ups going on 12 years. He took his vacation the week of January 23rd. Usually we would get a vacation check 2 weeks prior to his vacation. Here it is Feb. 7th and we still have not received a check. My husband had requested, since his vacation was entered late, due to the amazing management at UPS (insert sarcasm here) that his vacation pay fall in line with his regular pay schedule. Which should have been Feb. 3rd. But we still have no check. Promises have been made of a paper check coming. But upsers is still not showing a stub online. What can we do to get this company to pay us?! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Payroll issues

File a Grievance. Remedy sought.....check be next day. If that doesn't help there is an employee hotline that can be called in order to straighten up the issue.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is simple if your husband has been there 12 years he should know to file a grievance. I believe there is even some type of penalty pay everyday they are late.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The OP said that the vacation was entered late--was it a last minute decision or did your husband request it in a timely manner? It generally takes at least two weeks for vacation checks to be processed. If you don't have it by the 10th I would definitely file a grievance.

UPSGUY72

We had drivers in the past combine 5 of there sick days into an extra week of vacation. However they called in a lot and got paid for the days they called in so when they final took that extra week of vacation it wasn't paid.

Southwestern

Have your husband join the rest of the modern world and sign-up for direct deposit (or alternatively, the pay card) and you'll never have to worry about this happening.

M2UPS

Thanks for all the advice. He's waiting until this Friday and then filing. It wasn't a last minute decision. But vacations were posted late this year so I guess the pay periods got messed up. When the check didn't come 2 weeks prior, he requested that it just come the Friday after. Which normally he wouldn't get a check.

They can cut him a check the same day requested and have it next day delivered (we are a shipping company). Sounds like they are not requesting the check for some reason. Tell your hubby to have his manager call payroll with him in the office so he can hear the conversation for himself.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I Actually had my center manager, write me a personal check from there account, when accounting screwed up a vacation check.......this was back in the good old days, ...when accounting didn't make mistakes (HAHA)

JonFrum

If your husband is covered by the Teamsters Contract, these Article 17 exerpts apply. Just be aware that the vacation must be properly selected, and that the language doesn't clearly say penalty pay applies to late vacation checks, just to "other shortages." And penalty pay would not apply for the week's delay your husband agreed to.

ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME
Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air. Other shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for fulltime employees, and fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees, will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until corrected.

All employees must receive their vacation pay in a separate check before taking vacation. Vacation checks for an employee, who is taking a properly scheduled vacation in accordance with the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum, will be at the operating center on Monday of the week prior to the employee’s vacation week(s). This is to ensure that the employee receives his/her pay prior to taking his/her vacation. The employee will be shown his/her check upon request, but will not receive the check until the regular scheduled pay day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jon, quoting the contract is the easy part---interpreting it for this situation is much harder. The first line of Article 17 states "Wages for properly selected vacations...", which seems to be the problem here.

I would wait until this Friday and file if the check has not been issued.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Jon, quoting the contract is the easy part---interpreting it for this situation is much harder. The first line of Article 17 states "Wages for properly selected vacations...", which seems to be the problem here.

I would wait until this Friday and file if the check has not been issued.

Same applies when interpreting a post.
OP states that the selection process was delayed by management, not her husband.
I would have filed for penalty pay on Friday, my last day of work before the vacation started.
Had he done that, the check would be in hand by now.
The company's labor manager would have taken care of it to limit the companies liability in regards to penalty pay.
Waiting patiently makes an issue a low priority unfortunately.

Kae3106

The OP said that the vacation was entered late--was it a last minute decision or did your husband request it in a timely manner? It generally takes at least two weeks for vacation checks to be processed. If you don't have it by the 10th I would definitely file a grievance.

Manual check (green check) requests are processed the day they are received in payroll. If a check is requested for a vacation and the employee has the time available, the manual check will be issued that day and sent NDA to the center or the employee's home address as requested on the Time and Labor form. Direct deposit is not available on manual check requests. Even if it wasn't entered into the calendar properly or was a last minute request, it should never take two weeks to correct.

I would say that if you haven't received the check yet, Payroll doesn't know about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Manual check (green check) requests are processed the day they are received in payroll. If a check is requested for a vacation and the employee has the time available, the manual check will be issued that day and sent NDA to the center or the employee's home address as requested on the Time and Labor form. Direct deposit is not available on manual check requests. Even if it wasn't entered into the calendar properly or was a last minute request, it should never take two weeks to correct. I would say that if you haven't received the check yet, Payroll doesn't know about it.

I never said it would take two weeks to correct this situation--I said it generally takes two weeks for a properly selected vacation request to be processed.

On a side note---this is why it is so crucial to have an emergency fund.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I never said it would take two weeks to correct this situation--I said it generally takes two weeks for a properly selected vacation request to be processed.

On a side note---this is why it is so crucial to have an emergency fund.

I think Suze suggests having at least 1 weeks worth of pay in an emergency fund.:fightings:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Suze/Nancy chases me around the water cooler when I suggest a grievance. Must be it's ok when a man does it.
I like it when Kae3106 finally pipes up and it gets all uppity over it. Like she doesn't read it's stupid comments that it posts.