still using helpers?

Hangingon

We have been told that we'll be using them into January. Everyone is still in the red. Another reason I'm glad they haven't sent my Q list Feeder driver behind back to package yet.

smokey711

I was told my last day would be Christmas Eve. They called me yesterday to tell me I was working today and all of next week. Aren't they supposed to stop using helpers by the end of the year?

EAMKing

I thought they cant use them after peek, Isnt it a union valiation. Part-timers are waiting to to full-time and they are using helpers in January, Same thing with casuals.

705red

Browncafe Steward
File grievances people unless you supplement allows them to use helpers and seasonal drivers. Also file for your guarantees this week, because of the seasonal helper driver working. Next week starts the 9.5s again.

This week they started handing out lay off letters for next week already and we are using temporary help? How does one get into the IE department? Do you need a letter from mommy saying that you were dropped on your head multiple times as a baby?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Just dropped my helper off. Five plus hours for him. I've been posting on this post peak "peak" in several threads for days and got no responses. Taking my two ten minute breaks before I head in. Fourth year running in my area for this so called anymoly. It will continue through most of January. Watch for air drivers and supes driving as well and file, file, file. They will cry, but just tell them it's the price of doing a booming business. Our supplement allows for helpers outside of the peak season only upon agreement with the local, which hasn't happened. The company wants these concessions without making any themselves. I guess we'll just have to take ours.

EAMKing

The think with me is that im a part time air driver waiting to go full time. If I file they will remember me and make sure to make my life miserable. I dont have any problems with my center manager and i want to keep it that way.

Brown Rocket

We just used our golf carts for the last day today. Helpers today. They said that today was the last day for both. Yesterday the bottom guy on the seniority list (FT driver) was laid off with no 7 day letter or anything. I am next and was told it would be a little while longer.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
The think with me is that im a part time air driver waiting to go full time. If I file they will remember me and make sure to make my life miserable. I dont have any problems with my center manager and i want to keep it that way.

lol, I hope you stay part time, forever.

UPSGUY72

Can't use helpers here after Dec 25. part of our rider. Next monday we are starting at 8:15. Suppose to be reall heavy next week. Hopefully everyone shows up to work next week the last two days 6 drivers have called in.

I thought if there still using helpers after the 1st they become permant UPS employees.

UPSGUY72

Aren't Oct. Nov. & Dec. considered a free period. Meaning they can use helpers during this time?

yes but Jan isn't if your helper is working after jan 1st they could fight and get a permant PT position. that is why UPSlay off all the helper inside and out before the end of the year.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Gonna send a big thank you to the local here. They have approved us to use outside helpers all Januaury. Oh by the way, I will not be laying off any drivers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

You have no right to file on this issue until you are a full time driver.
It's not your work yet.
Sounds like your center manager will continue to love you with that rationality.
He'll play you like a fiddle if you don't stick up for yourself and your contractual rights.
Right now it's time for the seniority full timers to stick up for you and the contract.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I used my Helper today. The Helpers we use here after Christmas are all Preloaders. They made them turn in their uniforms and then turned around and had to give them back out. Supposedly the Cover Drivers were to be laid off this week, but I see them everyday and split routes are still being put in. Once again, we were told "the volume numbers surprised us".

Overpaid Union Thug

Gonna send a big thank you to the local here. They have approved us to use outside helpers all Januaury. Oh by the way, I will not be laying off any drivers.

Who usually makes the decision to layoff in each center? The manager? Or higher up? We have never laid off in my center. Its always on a day by day basis and extras are no problem because there is always someone wanting a day off.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Who usually makes the decision to layoff in each center? The manager? Or higher up? We have never laid off in my center. Its always on a day by day basis and extras are no problem because there is always someone wanting a day off.

Some pencil neck geek with a laptop hundreds of miles away makes all the decisions.
None of the managers that you know by name make any decisions, they facilitate the decisions mandated by said "geek".