Still waiting .. anyone feel the same?

M3styles

i been at UPS 7 years in June and just wondering is anyone still waiting for a driver job. I work out of Ontario California and its just killing me to be not making good money. I mean it was cool for when i was younger where i didn't have many responsibility's . i dont know i just upset that i been there so long and just kind of stuck.

jimstud

Banned
i been at UPS 7 years in June and just wondering is anyone still waiting for a driver job. I work out of Ontario California and its just killing me to be not making good money. I mean it was cool for when i was younger where i didn't have many responsibility's . i dont know i just upset that i been there so long and just kind of stuck.
i started in the mid 80's and it took me 6 years and the economy wasn't in the dumpster like it is now so hold on if you can otherwise good luck in whatever you do.

Overpaid Union Thug

I waited 7 years before going full-time. That two years or more longer than the average wait time in my building. I'd hate to be waiting right now. UPS isn't going to hire any new full-timers unless they ABSOLUTELY have to. They will try and scrape by with less than they think they need until it effects their reports negatively.

negrosangre

You didn't see the article:

The company wants to hire 25,000 new drivers at an average salary of $74,000. » But 30% fail the training . Saw this on Yahoo today. :surprised:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm sorry to hear this. It is a peeve of mine because there are FT drivers being hired with very little seniority in our hub. Infact, there were two employees on the safety committee that were "promoted" to FT drivers on the health and safety memo and neither one had more than a couple years in. I know for a fact that there are a few 5+ year PT vets waiting in line.

p228

The company wants to hire 25,000 new drivers at an average salary of $74,000. » But 30% fail the training . Saw this on Yahoo today. :surprised:

That was the old training. Integrad has a failure rate of 10% according to the article.

"Of the 1,629 trainees who have completed Integrad since it began as an experiment in 2007, only 10% have failed the training program."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are paraphrasing. The article stated that 30% failed when trained using the old training methods. The failure rate among those who have been through Integrad is about 10%. Drivers are hourly employees so we do not get a salary but the average annual compensation is about $74K, more if you work a lot of overtime, less if you don't. Mine was $69K last year.

I had not yet seen the article yesterday but had 3 people comment it and each comment was filled with disinformation. One person thought we were hiring 50K this year.

M3styles

Ya I seen that article after I posted like 2 years ago they had me line up to take the class but they never called I also have freinds that have gone through the class twice if anyone knows of anyone lesser sonority then me (6-2-03) let me know in any inland empire California Facility pm me

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seniority only applies to the facility that you work in. If your center is like mine, there should be a list of all employees, FT or PT, listed by seniority date. This should answer your question; if not, your steward can easily get this information for you.

SWORDFISH

There really is no answer to how long it will take. It took me 5yrs and some as many as 8 years. We also had about a 6 driver streak where they had less than 2 yrs experience each. We seem to only hire 3 new drivers for every 4 that leave. So we lose a quarter of a driver every time one leaves.