Still waiting.

Well,it's been two weeks since I did the drug test and DOT physical and still waiting to start as a courier.Does it normally take this long?I know I passed everything.And what is courier school about because I believe that's the next phase?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Seems like it's taking a little longer than usual. Maybe they don't need another person right away. I'd use this time to look for a real, better, job.

Courier school is one week, paid, with meal stiphen, somewhere with about 5 other newbies. You'll learn how to pup and del pkgs. Piece of cake.

dezguy

It took my station over a year and a half before I went to courier school. Total waste of time and money because by that time, I already knew everything we were learning.

vantexan

What Mr. 7 said. Use this time wisely and be looking for something better. Fedex is a dead end.
I'm in a large city, about a million in the metro area. Plenty of jobs but very few pay anything without certain skills and experience. My best bet looked like long distance truck driving and I was going to have to pay some dues to get to better pay. There are only so many decent jobs assuming you have what they're needing. Looks to me to have anything for many means working at least 2 jobs. Otherwise expect a very restricted life with very little to look forward to. In that light FedEx looks better all the time. We can talk about how they pay so much less than UPS, etc, but the nature of the modern workplace means UPS will eventually get drug down much closer to FedEx than FedEx will get closer to them. This is the reality many millions face daily. If you are one of the relative few who don't have skills that pay but have landed with FedEx or a similar paying company you should hit your knees and be thankful. Hate me for saying it, but if you've been working for FedEx for a long time and think you're getting screwed, you may have lost touch with the realities out there. Sure, I'm disappointed with what they did with the pension and wage progression. But after looking for work for months what FedEx is offering looks damn good. Do yourself a favor. If you want to quit, only do it after getting serious training on your off time and get a guaranteed job that pays. Otherwise, no matter how much hatred and anger you may feel now, you will greatly regret walking away from this job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well,it's been two weeks since I did the drug test and DOT physical and still waiting to start as a courier.Does it normally take this long?I know I passed everything.And what is courier school about because I believe that's the next phase?

God is sending you a message. Read between the lines.

MAKAVELI

I'm in a large city, about a million in the metro area. Plenty of jobs but very few pay anything without certain skills and experience. My best bet looked like long distance truck driving and I was going to have to pay some dues to get to better pay. There are only so many decent jobs assuming you have what they're needing. Looks to me to have anything for many means working at least 2 jobs. Otherwise expect a very restricted life with very little to look forward to. In that light FedEx looks better all the time. We can talk about how they pay so much less than UPS, etc, but the nature of the modern workplace means UPS will eventually get drug down much closer to FedEx than FedEx will get closer to them. This is the reality many millions face daily. If you are one of the relative few who don't have skills that pay but have landed with FedEx or a similar paying company you should hit your knees and be thankful. Hate me for saying it, but if you've been working for FedEx for a long time and think you're getting screwed, you may have lost touch with the realities out there. Sure, I'm disappointed with what they did with the pension and wage progression. But after looking for work for months what FedEx is offering looks damn good. Do yourself a favor. If you want to quit, only do it after getting serious training on your off time and get a guaranteed job that pays. Otherwise, no matter how much hatred and anger you may feel now, you will greatly regret walking away from this job.
Is that why turnover is at an all-time high?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The realities are that you are still getting screwed van. Rationalize it any way you want. Sorry to be so blunt.

vantexan

The realities are that you are still getting screwed van. Rationalize it any way you want. Sorry to be so blunt.
The reality is most working people get screwed to some extent. Quit your job and look for another. You'll find out where you were on the "scale" with FedEx.

vantexan

Is that why turnover is at an all-time high?
A lot of factors go into that. Many find out they are going to have to work hard for less than they thought. Many have put in enough years to realize the tradeoff of hard work for slow pay progression and a greatly reduced pension isn't worth it to them. The point of my post is that the American workplace is brutal for the unskilled. In that light FedEx is one of the better options available. If you are going to leave be smart about it. If great paying jobs were widely available 80% of our workforce would've left already. But if they were, FedEx would be forced to pay better with better benefits. You don't see that happening so what does that tell you about available jobs? Companies have the upper hand and the only reason FedEx pays as much as they do is there are much easier jobs out there for $10-$12hr. Don't shoot the messenger, just pointing out the reality.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Bottom line.
Get some sort of education in a skill that will never go away.
I.e. plumbing, electrician, X-ray tech., etc......

!Retired!

It's amazing that has everyone above has the answers on what you should do, yet they're still working at FedEx.

meancaffeine - I'll tell you what I tell our kids. 'If you don't like the job you're doing, no amount of money will make you like it more.' Give FedEx a shot or don't, it's up to you. You can always take the 'experts' above advice and do something else. I'll be honest.....yes there are jobs with better pay, insurance, retirement, etc. But, no matter what job you get, there will always be something 'better'.

Good Luck

vantexan

It's amazing that has everyone above has the answers on what you should do, yet they're still working at FedEx.

meancaffeine - I'll tell you what I tell our kids. 'If you don't like the job you're doing, no amount of money will make you like it more.' Give FedEx a shot or don't, it's up to you. You can always take the 'experts' above advice and do something else. I'll be honest.....yes there are jobs with better pay, insurance, retirement, etc. But, no matter what job you get, there will always be something 'better'.

Good Luck
So does that make you an expert too?

!Retired!

So does that make you an expert too?
Never said I was. I don't sit behind a keyboard telling someone how horrible my job is and do nothing about it. If I hated my job or the company I work for as much as some of the people postings I read, I would find something else......and I'm almost 50.

vantexan

Never said I was. I don't sit behind a keyboard telling someone how horrible my job is and do nothing about it. If I hated my job or the company I work for as much as some of the people postings I read, I would find something else......and I'm almost 50.

Then give the other side of it, the perks and advantages. They have just as much right to vent their frustrations as you do about their complaining. I know exactly where they're coming from. If that hasn't been your experience then lucky you.

TheKid99

I didn't get a meal stipend
Seems like it's taking a little longer than usual. Maybe they don't need another person right away. I'd use this time to look for a real, better, job.

Courier school is one week, paid, with meal stiphen, somewhere with about 5 other newbies. You'll learn how to pup and del pkgs. Piece of cake.

!Retired!

Then give the other side of it, the perks and advantages. They have just as much right to vent their frustrations as you do about their complaining. I know exactly where they're coming from. If that hasn't been your experience then lucky you.
What other side? I don't recall making posts that FedEx is great to work for. I merely said that that the complainers are quick to tell someone else to go work somewhere else while they stay there.