Stock prices

Purple2Brown

I've noticed that FedEx has a higher stock price than UPS. I don't really know much about stocks. Does this indicate that FedEx is a faster growing and better company than UPS, or will be one in the future? I've worked at both companies and it seems like UPS is a little bit better. I worked for Express but I did go through a ground station once and I have to say that the level of automation and technology at that station was superior to any station, ups or express, than I have ever seen.

bbsam

Staff member
Screenshot_20161223-120249.png

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Look at daily amount of shares traded.
That will tell you how popular a stock is .

Fred S is the darling on Wall St.
Every time he speaks , even bad news , FEDX stock price goes up while UPS' goes down .

Another thing to look at is how many times a stock has split .
FEDX splits a lot .

Re-Raise

How can people not understand this?

UPS is worth way more than Fed Ex. The value of the company is just divided by a lot more shares of stock

Re-Raise

As of today UPS has a market cap of $101B and Fed Ex has a market cap of $51B.

The market cap is the stock price times the number of shares on the market. So basically what it would take to buy the company.

Ms.PacMan

Companies have valuations but some of the price is based on future market share and growth. FedEx has more room to grow and take business from UPS so the stock price is higher based on the expectation of growth.

Fortunately for UPS, online shopping means growth for both companies.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I've noticed that FedEx has a higher stock price than UPS. I don't really know much about stocks. Does this indicate that FedEx is a faster growing and better company than UPS, or will be one in the future? I've worked at both companies and it seems like UPS is a little bit better. I worked for Express but I did go through a ground station once and I have to say that the level of automation and technology at that station was superior to any station, ups or express, than I have ever seen.
With FedEx and UPS it's like comparing apples to oranges.......FDX has just reported for the 2nd quarter of 2017........I think that's what they said. Either way it's not the same as the rest of the companies who are in the 4th quarter of 2016 now. It's crazy!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With FedEx and UPS it's like comparing apples to oranges.......FDX has just reported for the 2nd quarter of 2017........I think that's what they said. Either way it's not the same as the rest of the companies who are in the 4th quarter of 2016 now. It's crazy!!!

FedEx Corporation 's FDX second-quarter fiscal 2017 (ended Nov 30, 2016) earnings per share (on an adjusted basis) of $2.80 fell short of the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $2.91. The bottom line was hurt by higher costs. Earnings, however, climbed 8.53% on a year-over-year basis.

Read more: FedEx (FDX) Misses Q2 Earnings Estimates, Shares Decline

TTKU

moreluck

golden ticket member
FedEx Corporation 's FDX second-quarter fiscal 2017 (ended Nov 30, 2016) earnings per share (on an adjusted basis) of $2.80 fell short of the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $2.91. The bottom line was hurt by higher costs. Earnings, however, climbed 8.53% on a year-over-year basis.

Read more: FedEx (FDX) Misses Q2 Earnings Estimates, Shares Decline

TTKU
I think reporting for a time period that hasn't happened is FANTASY!! How do you compare charts when you want to invest in one of these companies........My formula would eliminate any company that doesn't report the way all other companies do.....therefore, FDX would be off the table.

It will be fine

I think reporting for a time period that hasn't happened is FANTASY!! How do you compare charts when you want to invest in one of these companies........My formula would eliminate any company that doesn't report the way all other companies do.....therefore, FDX would be off the table.
FedEx fiscal year begins June 1. That's how they budget and report. 2nd quarter fiscal 2017 is Sept-Nov. Do you think a model 2017 car purchased now would be FANTASY?