Stopping the next Sandy Hook massacre

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As someone who has dealt with a family member with mental illness I know how difficult it is to get help - especially after that person turns 18. Waiting for someone to injure or kill someone makes no sense. The US mental illness policies and laws must be changed.

Although I see no plausible need for assault rifles and 100 clip magazines, concentrating on the means of destruction is weak-minded.

I am Adam Lanza's Mother - The Blue Review | The Blue Review

W

want to retire

As someone who has dealt with a family member with mental illness I know how difficult it is to get help - especially after that person turns 18. Waiting for someone to injure or kill someone makes no sense. The US mental illness policies and laws must be changed.

Although I see no plausible need for assault rifles and 100 clip magazines, concentrating on the means of destruction is weak-minded.

So, I did a little checking of the definition of assault rifle. Best I can tell, they must be capable of selective fire i.e. semi-auto to full-auto. The weapon used was not. So, would it have prevented the tragedy(banning)? No. But, yet they are calling for a ban. However, the rifle involved could by definition, be classified as an assault weapon. So, let's at least get that straight. Weak-minded Democrat politicians playing to weak-minded Democrat lemmings.

Just_another_day_at_work

IMO it's hard to cure something that is not human (that's a conspiracy nut-job here)... Especially when that Sandy Hook map was in (plain sight) the Dark Knight Rises movie as strike zones(that's not a conspiracy). Maybe our Rand Paul is right "something sick out there..." and it's jumping on these patterns until it gets broken :peaceful:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Lets pretend for a minute that the so-called "assault weapons" used in the massacre were in fact banned and had been wiped completely off the face of the earth.

Adam Larza could have walked into that school armed instead with a pair of "old-fashioned" .357 revolvers, a couple of speedloaders for them, and a vintage Winchester Model of 1894 lever-action 30/30 deer rifle with a few extra shells in his pocket.....and the outcome of the massacre would have been EXACTLY the same.

When you are a lunatic with a premeditated intention to commit mass murder in a "gun free zone" against victims who you KNOW will be unarmed....it doesnt really matter what sort of guns you use or how many bullets they hold.

The way you prevent massacres is not by inventing silly, feel-good laws about guns that (a) dont make a difference and (b) wont be obeyed by criminals in the first place. The way you prevent massacres...is by making sure that would-be victims have the means to fight back.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The way you prevent massacres is not by inventing silly, feel-good laws about guns that (a) dont make a difference and (b) wont be obeyed by criminals in the first place. The way you prevent massacres...is by making sure that would-be victims have the means to fight back.

That is the approach I take now to protect myself and my family...

Or change our laws and societal attitudes regarding identifying and then locking away mentally ill people who have the tendencies to execute these acts.
American laws do not provide for locking away and helping these people until they commit an act of violence.

soberups

That is the approach I take now to protect myself and my family...

Or change our laws and societal attitudes regarding identifying and then locking away mentally ill people who have the tendencies to execute these acts.
American laws do not provide for locking away and helping these people until they commit an act of violence.

The answer to the problem of school shootings is both complex and comprehensive.

It will not be found in simplistic, feel-good, sound bite "buzzword" solutions like "ban assault weapons" or "no guns in schools" or, even "arm the teachers."

We need to take a long hard look at how mental health care is delivered in this country. We need to take a long hard look at how easy it is for the mentally ill to obtain firearms. And we need to be brutally honest with ourselves about what a dismal failure the so-called "gun free zones" have really been in terms of preventing the tragedies at Thurston...Columbine...Virginia Tech....Aurora...Clackamas Town Center... Sandy Hook Elementary...and all of the other places where criminals who ignored the laws were granted a legal monopoly of force on helpless victims.

Both "sides" are going to have to "give" something up on this one. There arent any quick and easy answers that will fit neatly into anyones preconceived notions about guns or the mentally ill or violent media or the breakdown of the family unit in todays society.

Mike57

Exactly. Then you have the NRA calling for MORE guns.
I just got a email from someone/group calling for the end of gun free zones and you guessed it, MORE GUNS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Lets pretend for a minute that the so-called "assault weapons" used in the massacre were in fact banned and had been wiped completely off the face of the earth.

Adam Larza could have walked into that school armed instead with a pair of "old-fashioned" .357 revolvers, a couple of speedloaders for them, and a vintage Winchester Model of 1894 lever-action 30/30 deer rifle with a few extra shells in his pocket.....and the outcome of the massacre would have been EXACTLY the same.

When you are a lunatic with a premeditated intention to commit mass murder in a "gun free zone" against victims who you KNOW will be unarmed....it doesnt really matter what sort of guns you use or how many bullets they hold.

They don't even need to be in the school. If they r that bent on raising hell walk up to the windows of the classroom and throw some pipe bombs thru them.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I just got a email from someone/group calling for the end of gun free zones and you guessed it, MORE GUNS.

What have gun free zones done to prevent anything? They don't work!!! I'm all for more people with guns. Only with proper training and background checks though. I'm also with hoax I see no logical need for 100 round clip weapons.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It is a diverse.... and complex issue.

In terms of relativity.... There are growing pains.

Humans, and the planet.... are constantly evolving.... Has been that way for billions of years.

soberups

Sandy Hook Elementary stopped being a "gun free zone" the moment that Adam Lanza set foot on the property on that horrible day.

One could say it is a question of semantics. What you refer to as a "gun free zone" is, in reality, an "unarmed and helpless victim zone" the moment that the Adam Lanzas of the world come calling. The NRA is not so much calling for an end to "gun free zones" as it is calling for a beginning to "armed security for our children" zones.

Armed security is what works in the real world. "Gun free zones" only work in the world of naivete and wishful thinking.

DS

Fenderbender
"We need to take a long hard look at how easy it is for the mentally ill to obtain firearms."

I agree that these situations are complicated to say the least,but the above comment by
Soberups is the first step towards attempting to lessen the chances of them happening.
I realize this guy wasn't even using his own guns,but the fact is ,that he,and probably 20
million other Americans should probably not possess,or have access to firearms.

soberups

"We need to take a long hard look at how easy it is for the mentally ill to obtain firearms."

I agree that these situations are complicated to say the least,but the above comment by
Soberups is the first step towards attempting to lessen the chances of them happening.
I realize this guy wasn't even using his own guns,but the fact is ,that he,and probably 20million other Americans should probably not possess,or have access to firearms.

I would tend to agree with you...which means that I want to make damn sure I do have immediate access to a firearm if I am ever unfortunate enough to encounter one of them.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: Sandy Hook massacre

MSNBC faking another video? Shocker(not so much).Via The Daily Caller:
Another day, another deceptively edited video from NBC News.
Here’s footage that MSNBC has just released of Neil Heslin, whose son was murdered in Newtown, speaking at a public meeting on gun control. It’s presented with the headline, “Emotional father of Sandy Hook victim heckled by gun nuts”:
Except that’s not how it happened. Twitchy has obtained the full, unedited video, and the relevant portion is at the 15:20 mark:

He wasn’t heckled. He asked the question and demanded an answer. There was complete silence. And only then, when he said that not one person could answer it — rather than remaining quiet out of respect for his feelings — did a few people answer it. You might not like their answer if you don’t like the Second Amendment, but that answer wasn’t unprompted. They were not heckling him.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

This is a ridiculous comparision, and to say it would turn out the same is pure ignorance at best. There are fundamental differences between the guns you mention and the actions required to fire them.

The gaps in time alone in changing weapons could be enough to allow people to run away or move to cover.

What I find more interesting is your situation.

People with dependancy issues usually transfer that dependancy to other things. Addictive personalities will always justify the need or use of things to feel good about themselves.

Some justify alcohol, some justify drugs ( both legal or illegal ), some justify guns.

People who are addicted to substances often replace that addiction to other things, like women, rage, hoarding and guns.

Either way, attempting to justify homocides by demonstrating that something could cause the same damage only shows the lack of compassion for the dead children who end up victims of paranoid people.

School shootings are far from over. There are plenty of gun nuts right now building stockpiles of weapons and ammo, camoflauge, gas grenades, armor and planning the next mass killing.

Are they mentally unstable?

No, not really, they are just victims of propaganda blasted at them by right wing sources until they realize they are going to be the ones to start the great revolution and gun battles all the gun freaks are waiting for.

Doomsday preppers is chockful of morons with outrageous thoughts and moreover, serious weapons for a fight they can only pray happens in their lifetimes in order to feel justified.

Unfortunately, that great fight isnt coming anytime soon, and they will all end up killing each other.

Thats how the brain works in the Gun mindset.

Peace

TOS

island1fox

TOS,

If school shooting are far from over as you state --why not do something real to protect them such as armed guards--like the ones that protect Politicians, Hollywood stars, Banks, Sporting events etc etc --why not protect the children ?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
TOS,

If school shooting are far from over as you state --why not do something real to protect them such as armed guards--like the ones that protect Politicians, Hollywood stars, Banks, Sporting events etc etc --why not protect the children ?

YEAH ISLAND, armed guards.. theres a solution.

The weapons we are talking about banning can shoot at high velosity for up to two miles and penetrate light armor killing whoever is wearing it.

The NUT CASE who shot and killed those firemen over the holidays were shot at a distance of a 1/2 mile away with a bushmaster .223 with a scope and bipod.

You think any PARAMILITARY gun freak is just gonna walk up and introduce himself to "armed guards" before a rampage??

An armed guard is nothing more than another thing to plan for before a massacre.

The "assault weapons" that are being bought and sold in this country are outrageous and dont suit a personal need in this country other than to satisfy the egos of the maniacs that want to possess them.

A majority of the holders of these weapons have "other" mental issues to deal with instead of stockpilling ammo clips and bullets.

"Armed Guards", give us a break.

peace

TOS

bbsam

Staff member
Look. We aren't going to put armed guards in all the schools and we aren't going to ban assault weapons or any other gun. Now, who is up for a tax increase to fortify the schools?