Strange Request From Supervisor

J

jibbs

Towards the end of my preload shift today a supervisor told me to come see him before I left, and not to clock out. When I was all wrapped up at 8:05am, I went to see him and he said, "Do me a favor," as he looked at his watch, "On the sign-out sheet by the door write down 4:05am as your leave time." This sounded kind of strange so I asked him if I was getting paid for today's work, to which he replied, "Of course, I'll let you know exactly what I did when you come in tomorrow morning." Sounding even stranger, I just said okay, went and clocked out as usual but signed my leave time as 4:05am.

I'm just curious what this might be all about? I know nobody knows specifically, but what are some of the reasons I might be asked to falsify my leave time and to not clock out before I leave the center?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Sometimes the hubcom time-clock system in my area is wonky, so they'll ask us to write out start/clock-out times when we leave so it can be manually entered post sort. But that's a rarity.

Did you actually finish working at 4:05 AM? What time did you actually clock out?

J

jibbs

Sometimes the hubcom time-clock system in my area is wonky, so they'll ask us to write out start/clock-out times when we leave so it can be manually entered post sort. But that's a rarity.

Did you actually finish working at 4:05 AM? What time did you actually clock out?

The shift started at 4:00am, I was finished working by about 8:00am and clocked out at 8:06am after I had to find the supervisor and have that quick exchange with him.

Kis124

I see you are in MD...although I don't think you are in the same building as I am..I wouldn't have done that, at least not without a steward present to CYA...what if you had gotten hurt? the sign sheet says you weren't there...I see major reprocussions. If you are in my building, There are only a few sups that are "honest" And I wouldn't break any rules for about 98 percent of them

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Could possibly be paying you from 12am to 4am and coding your hours to a different shift or area. Doesn't make it right, but isn't really putting you in harms way of anything. Still getting paid. The supervisor, on the other hand, could get into some trouble...

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The shift started at 4:00am, I was finished working by about 8:00am and clocked out at 8:06am after I had to find the supervisor and have that quick exchange with him.

Sounds shady. He might be trying to shuffle time around to make his numbers look better - which is falsification of records. We used to have a FT supervisor that would shave OT off an hourly's time and put it on the next day. Never got caught at my hub (which is the 5th or 6th largest in the US) but when he was promoted to manager of a smaller building nearby, he got nailed for it within 3 months.

Check your OP report when you arrive tomorrow.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Let me clarify. I don't think the supervisor is trying to screw YOU in any way, shape, or form. There are few legit reasons that he would ask you to do what you did, but HE is the one who will be getting screwed in the end if it all comes out. End of the day, if there were a dispute and your honesty came into question, just ask them to look at the security camera that shows you walking out the front door at 8am. That, alone, will be enough to prove where the dishonesty lies. Don't worry about it, I'm sure you are getting paid properly either way.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Let me clarify. I don't think the supervisor is trying to screw YOU in any way, shape, or form. There are few legit reasons that he would ask you to do what you did, but HE is the one who will be getting screwed in the end if it all comes out. End of the day, if there were a dispute and your honesty came into question, just ask them to look at the security camera that shows you walking out the front door at 8am. That, alone, will be enough to prove where the dishonesty lies. Don't worry about it, I'm sure you are getting paid properly either way.

I ponder how many facilities have security cameras. I work on one of the largest Preloads in the country and there are no security cameras. When employees are suspected of dishonestly, LP installs hidden wireless cameras near that employee's work area. And the picture quality ain't great.

laffter

We used to have a FT supervisor that would shave OT off an hourly's time and put it on the next day. Never got caught at my hub (which is the 5th or 6th largest in the US) but when he was promoted to manager of a smaller building nearby, he got nailed for it within 3 months.

A couple of paychecks ago I noticed I was missing the 3 minutes of overtime I had worked one of the days. I did some math, and it looks like they added some extra minutes of regular time onto one of the other days. Doesn't really bother me, I still got paid for it. I'd much rather them shift time around like this than not pay me for the 3 minutes, which I'm sure happens often in this building.

J

jibbs

Could possibly be paying you from 12am to 4am and coding your hours to a different shift or area. Doesn't make it right, but isn't really putting you in harms way of anything. Still getting paid. The supervisor, on the other hand, could get into some trouble...

That sounds likely. There was a situation my 1st week of employment with UPS where my timecard read a few hours short for some reason, so this particular supervisor paid my for 9 hours out-of-pocket and has been saying he'll get the hours tacked onto my next paycheck for months now. I haven't been too worried about it, though, because whatever hours that do get added will go to paying him back. He didn't mention that as the reason, though, and I felt it really weird to be asked not to clock out before I left... I mean, I've seen plenty of people fired from jobs elsewhere for stealing time after doing that.

So a sup asked you to falsely records and you did....nice.

Yeah... on the security sign-in/sign-out sheet. I purposefully clocked myself out even though I was told not to, though.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
A couple of paychecks ago I noticed I was missing the 3 minutes of overtime I had worked one of the days. I did some math, and it looks like they added some extra minutes of regular time onto one of the other days. Doesn't really bother me, I still got paid for it. I'd much rather them shift time around like this than not pay me for the 3 minutes, which I'm sure happens often in this building.

Seems to happen often at UPS in general. The good news is that if people record their times and report the discrepancies to HR, they do take it seriously. We had a Preload manager, and later FT supervisor, get fired for doctoring time cards.

raceanoncr

I forsee major problems with this. Maybe not. Hope not.

I always kept a log of what happened on my shift, mostly in feeders. Had to refer to it many times. Many times I requested facts be verified by another hourly. Also kept strict log of my hours, right down to a hundredth. In fact, many times the payroll clerk or even supe and manager would come and ask me so they could correct their records.

Similar situation: I won a money grievance over times. After panel meetings, manager came out and said they couldn't fine THEIR records of my times and could I provide the approximate figures. I said I could provide the EXACT figures. I did, turned em in, got my check. Few weeks later, yes, A FEW WEEKS LATER, manager came to me and said they DID find the exact figures and we were, or should I say, THEY, were off by 2 hundredths.

All because of MY record keeping. Do it.

J

jibbs

I forsee major problems with this. Maybe not. Hope not.

I always kept a log of what happened on my shift, mostly in feeders. Had to refer to it many times. Many times I requested facts be verified by another hourly. Also kept strict log of my hours, right down to a hundredth. In fact, many times the payroll clerk or even supe and manager would come and ask me so they could correct their records.

Similar situation: I won a money grievance over times. After panel meetings, manager came out and said they couldn't fine THEIR records of my times and could I provide the approximate figures. I said I could provide the EXACT figures. I did, turned em in, got my check. Few weeks later, yes, A FEW WEEKS LATER, manager came to me and said they DID find the exact figures and we were, or should I say, THEY, were off by 2 hundredths.

All because of MY record keeping. Do it.

I hope it doesn't become a huge issue. It doesn't feel like I fell into a trap yet, but I guess that's the beauty of them...

Your supervisor probably did this to pad his numbers some how. I'm willing to bet my life he would never do this in front of the district manager. This is an integrity issue that I've seen cost many management lose their jobs over or either sent home to think about their job or demoted. They also lose their stock when they get caught for this. It must be worth it because it happens all the time. I'm glad I'm a teamster.

trickpony1

Jibbs-
when the craps hits the fan who do you think they are gonna believe?

It will be your word against the supes word. Good luck with that.

Next time he asks you to do that just say, "....I'm not comfortable with falsifying records.".

I was in pkg cars in 1979. We were instructed to falsify things back then. Some did, some didn't. As of todays date, falsifying still occurs.

Honesty has been around since I can remember.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
It's+Totally+Legit.jpeg
It's+Totally+Legit.jpeg

Integrity

Binge Poster
Towards the end of my preload shift today a supervisor told me to come see him before I left, and not to clock out. When I was all wrapped up at 8:05am, I went to see him and he said, "Do me a favor," as he looked at his watch, "On the sign-out sheet by the door write down 4:05am as your leave time." This sounded kind of strange so I asked him if I was getting paid for today's work, to which he replied, "Of course, I'll let you know exactly what I did when you come in tomorrow morning." Sounding even stranger, I just said okay, went and clocked out as usual but signed my leave time as 4:05am.

I'm just curious what this might be all about? I know nobody knows specifically, but what are some of the reasons I might be asked to falsify my leave time and to not clock out before I leave the center?
jibbs,

Why did you agree to this?

Sincerely,
I