Street Maps

unnormaldude68

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding street maps to help with being a cover driver? I used to be able to find area maps in gas stations and other convenience stores, but it seems like no one sells them anymore. They don't even print the Hagstrom atlas anymore. I really do not want to use a GPS. Nassau County, New York.

Z

ZQXC

Call the Public Works office for the county in question; they should be able to help you get a map.

Z

ZQXC

You can also print single page sections of an area from Google maps and arrange them in a small binder.

CaliforniaPaul

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding street maps to help with being a cover driver? I used to be able to find area maps in gas stations and other convenience stores, but it seems like no one sells them anymore. They don't even print the Hagstrom atlas anymore. I really do not want to use a GPS. Nassau County, New York.
Thomas Brothers Maps, do they still exist??

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Barnes and Nobles sells them....

oldngray

nowhere special
6068958691_24bd0bf81d_z.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why would anybody take it upon themselves to buy, print or solicit a government agency for a map to use while delivering for UPS?
It is my position that this "tool" for the job should be provided by the company and failure to do so on their part implies a significant cost in regards to my hours worked.

That being said, I am reminded of a story a few years back when my On-car supervisor took exception to me not delivering a misload from the day before that turned out to be just 4 miles from my last stop.
When I explained to him that my name wasn't Rand McNally and that I subsequently didn't have every street in the city memorized, nor did I need to as a twenty year bid driver on the same route.
He proceeded with a dissertation about how many book maps that were bought by the company but never returned and that he wasn't buying any more and informed me that it was something I should possess on my own as a professional driver.
I laughed at him and went about my day and didn't give it a second thought until I got home and found the new telephone books on my front porch.
It was then that I remembered that there were detailed city street maps in the back of the Yellow Pages, which I carefully removed to bring with me the following work day.
Before the PCM that morning, I walked into this On-car's office holding my "new" book map high for him to see and explained to him how I came by it for free and that it would be worth 10's of thousands of dollars before my career at UPS concluded.
I informed him that I was available all day every day to shuttle or deliver any and all misloads for our center with my new "tool for the job" and that if I heard any stories of him doing this work that I would be grieving it for double time.
Oddly enough, I was never asked to deliver any more misloads?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I always bought my own maps , even if was for a area that I only had 1 stop for .
I also bought a street listing guide book { my bible } which lists where the other streets intersect by street number .
Bookstores usually carry them , along with gas station and chain stores .
When in doubt always ask at the Fire Dept & the Public Works first , these guys need to know where every street is actually at .
Then the Police Dept .

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Why would anybody take it upon themselves to buy, print or solicit a government agency for a map to use while delivering for UPS?
It is my position that this "tool" for the job should be provided by the company and failure to do so on their part implies a significant cost in regards to my hours worked.

That being said, I am reminded of a story a few years back when my On-car supervisor took exception to me not delivering a misload from the day before that turned out to be just 4 miles from my last stop.
When I explained to him that my name wasn't Rand McNally and that I subsequently didn't have every street in the city memorized, nor did I need to as a twenty year bid driver on the same route.
He proceeded with a dissertation about how many book maps that were bought by the company but never returned and that he wasn't buying any more and informed me that it was something I should possess on my own as a professional driver.
I laughed at him and went about my day and didn't give it a second thought until I got home and found the new telephone books on my front porch.
It was then that I remembered that there were detailed city street maps in the back of the Yellow Pages, which I carefully removed to bring with me the following work day.
Before the PCM that morning, I walked into this On-car's office holding my "new" book map high for him to see and explained to him how I came by it for free and that it would be worth 10's of thousands of dollars before my career at UPS concluded.
I informed him that I was available all day every day to shuttle or deliver any and all misloads for our center with my new "tool for the job" and that if I heard any stories of him doing this work that I would be grieving it for double time.
Oddly enough, I was never asked to deliver any more misloads?
My name isn't Rand McNally,...lmao

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Or Bubbles could have simply asked for directions to the misload but that wouldn't be as dramatic.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I may have, had I been instructed to deliver it?
The inquisition was in hindsight, the day after on a package in an unfamiliar neighbourhood in an unfamiliar zip code.
I reported it early via DIAD message, put it I the back of the 8000 shelf.
I honestly never thought about it again until I got back in and since I heard nothing from the Center I sheeted it as missed when I returned to the building.

Thanks anyway though Dave.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I put a good map book in the same category as I do a flashlight, UPS socks, or good footwear...its one of those items that the company doesnt pay for but that you really ought to have anyway.

GPS is handy but its no replacement for a map book if you are trying to learn an area.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I put a good map book in the same category as I do a flashlight, UPS socks, or good footwear...its one of those items that the company doesnt pay for but that you really ought to have anyway.

GPS is handy but its no replacement for a map book if you are trying to learn an area.
I remember when you had no use for a smart phone.
The google maps app in my phone is far superior to any book map.

Last edited: