Strike coming to UPS?

Dear Diary

UPS PC Slave
Strike vote passed in Canada last month, Union renegotiated and there will be one more vote, which is currently taking place. If this contract is voted NO, there will be a strike with 72 hours notice after November 2nd. The union has also directed drivers to vote NO as they feel the new contract isn't fair to them. Here is the new wage progression in Canada offered by UPS

Untitled.png

For comparison, minimum wage is currently $14.60 in Ontario/BC to flip burgers for McDonalds. $15.00 in Alberta.

How does UPS Canada plan on keeping new drivers when it will take them 2 years to match Amazon drivers starting wage of $18? I think even if the contract passes and there's no strike, UPS is going to have trouble getting people to stay longer than a week.

rocket man

Strike vote passed in Canada last month, Union renegotiated and there will be one more vote, which is currently taking place. If this contract is voted NO, there will be a strike with 72 hours notice after November 2nd. The union has also directed drivers to vote NO as they feel the new contract isn't fair to them. Here is the new wage progression in Canada offered by UPS

Untitled.png

For comparison, minimum wage is currently $14.60 in Ontario/BC to flip burgers for McDonalds. $15.00 in Alberta.

How does UPS Canada plan on keeping new drivers when it will take them 2 years to match Amazon drivers starting wage of $18? I think even if the contract passes and there's no strike, UPS is going to have trouble getting people to stay longer than a week.

Untitled.png

You go on strike ill walk to. International.

AKCoverMan

Untitled.png

Well the three years in rate is same as our starting rate here. And in Canada UPS doesn’t have to kick in $1800ish a month to pay for a health plan right? Sounds like still a lot of money on the table. What kind of retirement do they fund for you down there in Canada?

Dear Diary

UPS PC Slave
Well the three years in rate is same as our starting rate here. And in Canada UPS doesn’t have to kick in $1800ish a month to pay for a health plan right? Sounds like still a lot of money on the table. What kind of retirement do they fund for you down there in Canada?

It's not really the same, $17 CAD is $12.92 US. Everything is more expensive in Canada, so it's not as much as it looks like. Pension will be $88 in the new contract

The real problem is competition. Can't keep new drivers when they're only making $2 over minimum wage in Alberta and taking them 2 years to match Amazon's starting wage. My fear is all the newer drivers hired quitting right when peak is around the corner.

AKCoverMan

Yeah, like I said, sounds lowball to me company must think members gonna cave. I wonder what our market share is of the Canada small package business.

Here we our the biggest player in terms of volume if you don’t count letters and junk mail at USPS.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Untitled.png

No knowledgeable member in the US will give a rats ass about you guys up there. You kept Hoffa in, we have 22.4’s and the best contract ever now. Thanks and :censored2:.

542thruNthru

Untitled.png

Hope you guys are aware of the 2/3 contract ratification rule.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
I bet everyone in the US is aware of this provision after the last contract. I'm sure Canada will as well if they don't meet the requirements for rejection of their current contract offer. Karma at its finest if you ask me.

ouanling

I don't know anyone voting yes on the new contract. Definitely going to strike.

We had the president of UPS canada visit us the other day. Guy was a sorter, uneducated. Kept bragging about offering the "best contract signed in Canada in the past 12 months"
if he had a degree, maybe he'd know everything went up 30% these last 4-5months, way after the contracts he talks about.

17$ an hour is a :censored2: joke. Only reason i can manage on it is because 1) i get tons of communist $ for having kids 2) i have an other income AND im very frugal.

Canada is VERY expensive. A half decent 3br appartement in a SUBURB goes for 1.1k to 1.8k and you,ve got NOTHING in the suburb. Just mcdonalds, subways and other big chains.

I currently pay 1250$ per month for my share of a nice 700k$ house and even then my kids go to school with violent welfare kids

only reason i stay on is because top salary is good and i love having a relaxed job where i can listen to podcasts and books all day without anyone pushing me. Our area is definitely a lot less strict than depots in the US. I can basically say no to anything. If its heavy i get people to come get it in the truck, if its an appartement i dont go in past the lobby, i wear whatever shoes or hat i want, no orion loop, etc.