Strike during peak? Say Whaaat?

Mr Mcfeely

Shpeedy Delivery!
It dawned on me that the IBT just might be playing the cards right.

The contract is ok, but there is enough to make it questionable. So it will be voted down right?

They are holding back info from the dues paying members just agitate them more.

Then pushing the vote out until sept?

I think the contract will be voted down, and that the negotiators will have to hash it out again and again. Pushing the contract closer to peak. Can you imagine striking during peak?

I felt inclined to share that thought...yay for my first brown cafe post!

Happy Friday all

Box Ox

Can you imagine striking during peak?

The President can order a 60 day cooling-off period for any industry if a strike endangers the "national health and safety". I have absolutely no doubt that Trump would love to tweet that a UPS strike might hold up critical medications, etc and stick it to Union hourlies by averting a Peak strike.

What a hero Trump would be, eh? “Trump saves Christmas from labor Unions” all over Fox News.

542thruNthru

The contract is ok, but there is enough to make it questionable. So it will be voted down right?

I think the contract will be voted down, and that the negotiators will have to hash it out again and again. Pushing the contract closer to peak. Can you imagine striking during peak?

Happy Friday all

Never happen. The Teamster will not take a chance hurting the golden goose. Even a threat of a strike during peak would hurt UPS. You're giving them to much credit. There is a reason we are having a record number of contract conference calls this time. Both sides want it to pass.

A

Article 3

Never happen. The Teamster will not take a chance hurting the golden goose. Even a threat of a strike during peak would hurt UPS. You're giving them to much credit. There is a reason we are having a record number of contract conference calls this time. Both sides want it to pass.
The union could cash in our strike fund and offer it as a signing bonus.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I think it's funny all these topics thinking the union has some secret plan!

If they didn't like the TA, they wouldn't have signed off on it in the first place. They had/have strike authorization. They could just walk then and there if they weren't getting close. Or hash it out a little longer. Why on earth would they submit something to the members and ask for a yes vote, if they want the members to reject it? It wouldn't look good to endorse a deal the members reject. So they wouldn't do it on purpose.

That being said, there's a good chance that's what they're going to get, since the TA is terrible. Weak language, 2nd class drivers, no catch up raises for part timers, etc... Even if this thing passes, those officials are in trouble. They sold out UPS Teamsters with this deal.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The negotiating committees knew that they were in trouble for the get go before they even started with this contract. If the statistic is true that over 70 percent of those UPS members that voted with the last election voted against Hoffa, that in itself explains why this one will not be easily ratified. They are make the best effort to try to get the (Master) passed, forget about the supplements and riders. I guess they are using the logic of that if the Master somehow makes it on the first round the rest will surely tumble. I am not a fan of TDU, but do we really have an alternative, in the last election Zuckermann beat Hoffa in the States, if it was not for the Canadian vote we would of had different General President. That in itself shows just how much support Hoffa has with the UPS members, most of us still remember the 2013 contract and his willingness to leave people behind for political reasons and his unwillingness to take on the Cash Cow (UPS). It is not money under the table, it is money over the table with the monetary contributions that UPS is providing the Teamster controlled benefits plans. The company is dictating the terms of each contract that he has overseen because of it. That so called "Strike Vote" was basically a straw vote to see were the international has to plan it's media attack to get this contract passed.

Granted this contract is weak and concessionary and it should not be considering how well the company is profiting and the current status of our national economy. Again a lot of members are going to be left behind and most of it has to do with keeping the leadership's status quo in place. In every contract there is give and take were both parties feel some kind of victory. With this tentative contract the Company wins by a knock out in the first round and that what happens when you put a heavy weight in with a feather weight every time.

Skooney

Happy Friday all

Looool. I almost choked from laughing.

Anyone who believes the IBT is even thinking about a strike at any point, hasn’t been paying attention.

Indecisi0n

The President can order a 60 day cooling-off period for any industry if a strike endangers the "national health and safety". I have absolutely no doubt that Trump would love to tweet that a UPS strike might hold up critical medications, etc and stick it to Union hourlies by averting a Peak strike.

What a hero Trump would be, eh? “Trump saves Christmas from labor Unions” all over Fox News.
But Trump is for the working man!

cachmeifucan

0% chance of a strike the national doesn't care about the members even if voted down still no chance of a strike. I don't want to strike I just want a fair raise and better language, no 22.4,spend money on current part time employee, more 22.3 jobs that don't include driving. More pension increase to the members ups can pay more but if my pension doesn't increase doesn't really benefit members.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
There will not be a strike during peak. Both sides understand the ramifications it would do financially to this cash cow.

BlackCat

Lots of things aren’t national crises that politicians are willing to call national crises. Some more so than others.

They can call it whatever the :censored2: they want.

If guys refuse to work, tough :censored2:. You cant force someone to return to work if they dont want to.

Mooseknuckle

The negotiating committees knew that they were in trouble for the get go before they even started with this contract. If the statistic is true that over 70 percent of those UPS members that voted with the last election voted against Hoffa, that in itself explains why this one will not be easily ratified. They are make the best effort to try to get the (Master) passed, forget about the supplements and riders. I guess they are using the logic of that if the Master somehow makes it on the first round the rest will surely tumble. I am not a fan of TDU, but do we really have an alternative, in the last election Zuckermann beat Hoffa in the States, if it was not for the Canadian vote we would of had different General President. That in itself shows just how much support Hoffa has with the UPS members, most of us still remember the 2013 contract and his willingness to leave people behind for political reasons and his unwillingness to take on the Cash Cow (UPS). It is not money under the table, it is money over the table with the monetary contributions that UPS is providing the Teamster controlled benefits plans. The company is dictating the terms of each contract that he has overseen because of it. That so called "Strike Vote" was basically a straw vote to see were the international has to plan it's media attack to get this contract passed.

Granted this contract is weak and concessionary and it should not be considering how well the company is profiting and the current status of our national economy. Again a lot of members are going to be left behind and most of it has to do with keeping the leadership's status quo in place. In every contract there is give and take were both parties feel some kind of victory. With this tentative contract the Company wins by a knock out in the first round and that what happens when you put a heavy weight in with a feather weight every time.
Though worded differently you're petty much mirroring what I've been telling people from the start.
I don't honestly know much about TDU. Only met a couple of people that MAY be a part of that group handing out flyers and such. They don't seem to have much of a presence in my area. This made it really funny at our review meeting when the local (Hoffa all the way) kept saying for us not to believe the opposition's lies because they have an agenda. Everyone in the room (concerned members) looking around "wtf are they talking about?". If there's a "contract boogieman" I think that's it.
Having said that, I can absolutely guarantee they will be winning the next election in my area. Hoffa has completely burned his bridges with the members. So, I'm not sure how they think this will help them maintain leadership of this union? It's more like doubling down on a bad bet.

BlackCat

Having said that, I can absolutely guarantee they will be winning the next election in my area. Hoffa has completely burned his bridges with the members.

To further add, anyone considering running needs to publicly distance themselves from Hoffa.

I cant see anyone possibly winning the election with direct ties to Hoffa.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I think it's funny all these topics thinking the union has some secret plan!

If they didn't like the TA, they wouldn't have signed off on it in the first place. They had/have strike authorization. They could just walk then and there if they weren't getting close. Or hash it out a little longer. Why on earth would they submit something to the members and ask for a yes vote, if they want the members to reject it? It wouldn't look good to endorse a deal the members reject. So they wouldn't do it on purpose.

That being said, there's a good chance that's what they're going to get, since the TA is terrible. Weak language, 2nd class drivers, no catch up raises for part timers, etc... Even if this thing passes, those officials are in trouble. They sold out UPS Teamsters with this deal.

I started my thread because I was frustrated at the lack of logical responses from people who support the contract/IBT. Ultimately we're left with the assumption of either incompetence or corruption, or both on the part of the IBT to explain their actions. The pro IBT folks have yet to offer any argument or explanation of the IBT's actions that correspond with a premise of competence/integrity. So I was just trying to imagine what such an explanation would be. If the union leadership act with the strength of the union as its top concern over the well being of its membership, they will fail because the strength of the union relies upon the well being of the members.

Though worded differently you're petty much mirroring what I've been telling people from the start.
I don't honestly know much about TDU. Only met a couple of people that MAY be a part of that group handing out flyers and such. They don't seem to have much of a presence in my area. This made it really funny at our review meeting when the local (Hoffa all the way) kept saying for us not to believe the opposition's lies because they have an agenda. Everyone in the room (concerned members) looking around "wtf are they talking about?". If there's a "contract boogieman" I think that's it.
Having said that, I can absolutely guarantee they will be winning the next election in my area. Hoffa has completely burned his bridges with the members. So, I'm not sure how they think this will help them maintain leadership of this union? It's more like doubling down on a bad bet.

Unfortunately I don't think there are enough voting UPS teamsters to get the job done. Maybe a few years of working under the worst contract ever will motivate some higher turn out at the next election.