Stupid Rear Ender. What to Do?

MassWineGuy

While driving my car in stop and go traffic I rear ended the suv in front of me. I thought that I'd been keeping good distance and no one moving faster than 12 to 15 mph. His vehicle was barely scathed. My hood crumpled a little and the center front took most of the force. Lights, wheels, coolant all seem good. I'd be shocked at any frame damage. Car tracks perfectly.
Oh, and no one was injured.

This has to be my first such incident in at least 10 years or more.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but do I have ro inform my manager?

If there's an insurance surcharge it won't appear until next May because the policy just renewed.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
While driving my car in stop and go traffic I rear ended the suv in front of me. I thought that I'd been keeping good distance and no one moving faster than 12 to 15 mph. His vehicle was barely scathed. My hood crumpled a little and the center front took most of the force. Lights, wheels, coolant all seem good. I'd be shocked at any frame damage. Car tracks perfectly.
Oh, and no one was injured.

This has to be my first such incident in at least 10 years or more.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but do I have ro inform my manager?

If there's an insurance surcharge it won't appear until next May because the policy just renewed.
Not unless you were charged with a moving violation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I find it ironic that you are on the other end of this and asking whether you need to report it or not.

At any rate, like ON said, unless you were cited, you have no reason to say anything.

MassWineGuy

I get your point, Upstate. But the necessity is now on the other foot. Must be similar over there.

No police or citation. Guess I should park some distance from my manager's car until repairs are done.

I can't budge the hood open. Might it be safe to drive at highway speed?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I get your point, Upstate. But the necessity is now on the other foot. Must be similar over there.

No police or citation. Guess I should park some distance from my manager's car until repairs are done.

I can't budge the hood open. Might it be safe to drive at highway speed?
Park where you want. It's not Fedex's business unless you cited for a moving violation. And obviously, if you did it in a FedEx truck.

Oldfart

You don't need to report moving violations anymore, unless it's in a FedEx vehicle.
I believe you might be mistaken. Pretty sure company policy requires you to report any moving violation before you drive a company vehicle after receiving the citation. I know you do here and I can't believe it is a station, district or region requirement.

MassWineGuy

Ok. The other driver and I exchanged information and drove on. No police. No ticket. Do I need to report this event to my manager? A notice on our station's safety board says it's mandatory to report any moving violation.

Is it a violation if an officer doesn't cite you? Doesn't my insurance company tell the state motor vehicle department, where it goes on my record?

Good one, Star B.

MAKAVELI

Ok. The other driver and I exchanged information and drove on. No police. No ticket. Do I need to report this event to my manager? A notice on our station's safety board says it's mandatory to report any moving violation.

Is it a violation if an officer doesn't cite you? Doesn't my insurance company tell the state motor vehicle department, where it goes on my record?

Good one, Star B.
No. Like others have said, unless you were cited, you don't need to report it. An at fault accident doesn't always constitute a violation. A police report would have to be filed for a violation.

Oldfart

Good one, Star B.
If no police, no report and no ticket, I believe you are not required to report the incident. You are required to report a moving violation, not contact with another vehicle. Damage to your vehicle is no concern to FDX if you did not receive a citation. MVR is just that. "Moving Violations Record" No violation, no need to report.

JustAnotherMike

"The best short-cut is to take the long way."
Not required to report it.

End of story
giphy.gif

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good one, Star B.

You were not cited-----no need to tell anyone.

Try to find a repair shop that will fix your car for the insurance check so that you don't have to pay the deductible.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If no police, no report and no ticket, I believe you are not required to report the incident. You are required to report a moving violation, not contact with another vehicle. Damage to your vehicle is no concern to FDX if you did not receive a citation. MVR is just that. "Moving Violations Record" No violation, no need to report.

MVR stands for Motor Vehicle Reports.