Stupid, stupid, stupid!

hypo hanna

I have several regular pickups that have never ever shipped an express package. Can't get them cancelled because they ship a little bit of ground here and a lot of ground in another city and sales sold it as a package deal.
has it ever occurred to these idiots that a big part of the reason why express isn't as profitable is our drivers are forced to go places where this isn't any freight?

We suffer to boost grounds bottom line then get blamed for our opco not producing enough revenue. The same thing happens within express. Your stations budget is based in part on what freight it brings in but you have regular nonproductive stops you can't get rid of because its a national account. Volume is worthless unless it actually generates revenue. I never went to business school but I could figure that out.

bbsam

Staff member
Might be because FDX charges a daily fee for that pickup. Why would they give up that revenue?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Sounds like a "deal" set up by our clueless sales staff. They've proven themselves real good at wasting our time.

Doc Sorting Dude

I have a company who's a reg but has shipped maybe 1 carton in the last month. When they told me they are now on an "on-call" basis, they where hemming and hawing as if they actually had something everyday. A lot of them just hate calling the 800 number but what a waste of time for many regulars who think we should stop by regardless how much they ship a month. I say get rid of these accounts so we can free up to grab those nasty "on-call" pups that close at 1400 or earlier. What do they think, we're just waiting around the corner waiting for a pick up?

newgirl

You're complaining about it the wrong way. What you need to say is I love my non productive pickups. Keeping them as regs helps boost my numbers,it's one less oncall I have to chase down and I can stop in and get a quick soda or snack if I need it. It'll been gone in a heartbeat

whenIgetthere

Had a regular Burger King on one of the routes here that didn't ship anything for months. The manager at BK kept telling us to cancel the regular pick-up, but our manager wouldn't do it so the route would look more productive. The last time I stopped, the manager got really vocal about it in front of his customers, so after relaying that to the manager, she finally cut the stop off the route. The route gets between 18 and 30 on calls a day, so that one stop wasn't boosting the numbers that much.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Had a regular Burger King on one of the routes here that didn't ship anything for months. The manager at BK kept telling us to cancel the regular pick-up, but our manager wouldn't do it so the route would look more productive. The last time I stopped, the manager got really vocal about it in front of his customers, so after relaying that to the manager, she finally cut the stop off the route. The route gets between 18 and 30 on calls a day, so that one stop wasn't boosting the numbers that much.

Perfect example of creating productivity by cooking the books. In this case, by having regulars that never ship. This is so Express in terms of it's retarded thinking process...create productivity on the reports where there is none.

I had an RTD friend tell me that he used to haul empty containers to another FedEx ramp in a neighboring state, and then backhaul empty containers from the destination station back to his own. Same type of containers, so this wasn't for aircraft or loading logistics purposes. No productivity at all, but the reports that were generated indicated "productivity", which kept the report-monitors in MEM happy. Ridiculous, but it happened all the time.