Subcontracting

Teamdriver

Has anyone else noticed that UPS is using brokers to move "UPS BASIC" loads? In WI brokers take loads from the shipper to cach hub. We are fighting it but have many feeder driver not working. So far it's deadlocked.

For years shippers have used brokers to bring loads from shippers to the Cach hub in broker trailers, QVC is one off the top of my head. They drop the trailers in the yard,we spot them on the wall and the packages enter the system,brokers take out the empty trailers. From the time the packages enter the system until we deliver them they`re ours. I`ve also seen UPS loads normally run by the long haul guys go out pulled by a broker. Usually this happens at peak but I think they are allowed to do so if no UPS drivers are available to pull it. Saw a set go out just this week.

Teamdriver

These loads that were being pulled by hourly and milage drivers in the past. Now Werner and Super Service are pulling most of them and the union driver sits home. You gotta love how UPS takes care of their people.

I'mTheMan

Not to mention also that even airport too, they also uses subcontracting for cheap labor that the company can afford on but even in my local union, it's very against subcontracting but we do argue on that whatever it's in the contract book that explains subcontracting issues of what company can't use.

gandydancer

Not to mention also that even airport too, they also uses subcontracting for cheap labor that the company can afford on but even in my local union, it's very against subcontracting but we do argue on that whatever it's in the contract book that explains subcontracting issues of what company can't use.

Try saying that in English.

sx2700

Banned
These loads that were being pulled by hourly and milage drivers in the past. Now Werner and Super Service are pulling most of them and the union driver sits home. You gotta love how UPS takes care of their people.

They are taking care of their share holders if that is what you mean.....I would expect to see much more of the same in the near future.

Taz

Hey teamdriver we are having the same thing happening here in ft,Payne AL. except the shiney wheels are taking or loads to local hubs whitecreek,Tn Pleasantdale,Ga.plus loads going to Mesquite Tx. jacksonville,Fl. and hubs to M.D and Il. from the shipper we are fighting also and it to is not working.went to the panel yesterday and waiting for reply -The UPS representatives are telling us its not our work until it gets to the hubsbut couldnt show me the language in the contract book.amazing how they can fire someone using the contract but cant stand by it when its to our favor isnt it?

bellesmom

Everyone needs to start paying attention to what's happening. It started over a year ago dismantling the 22.3's across the country also "breach of contract" seemingly without a fight from the IBT. Each group of employees are so tired from working not much attention is paid to what is being done to others and not much concern unless it starts affecting their particular group, all just human nature. Every full-time Union position employee had better start looking around them and open their eyes or they too will be extinct as the 22.3s, none of us are wanted by the Wall Street Corporate office.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Everyone needs to start paying attention to what's happening. It started over a year ago dismantling the 22.3's across the country also "breach of contract" seemingly without a fight from the IBT. Each group of employees are so tired from working not much attention is paid to what is being done to others and not much concern unless it starts affecting their particular group, all just human nature. Every full-time Union position employee had better start looking around them and open their eyes or they too will be extinct as the 22.3s, none of us are wanted by the Wall Street Corporate office.
I have warned many 22.3s in our hub, and they look at me like I'm someone from management saying it. I don't expect to be FT past 2013, if that long. This is a serious problem. Why is there not a lawsuit (s) coming forward?

beentheredonethat

Hey teamdriver we are having the same thing happening here in ft,Payne AL. except the shiney wheels are taking or loads to local hubs whitecreek,Tn Pleasantdale,Ga.plus loads going to Mesquite Tx. jacksonville,Fl. and hubs to M.D and Il. from the shipper we are fighting also and it to is not working.went to the panel yesterday and waiting for reply -The UPS representatives are telling us its not our work until it gets to the hubsbut couldnt show me the language in the contract book.amazing how they can fire someone using the contract but cant stand by it when its to our favor isnt it?

Where is the language in the contract book that the teamsters get to determine when and how we will take the customers work from them? Oh what's that, it doesn't.....
In many cases, not all mind you. But in many cases, we wouldn't have any of the work if we picked up all the work in one location and processed it in the normal UPS network. Our cost structure wouldn't have been able to give us rates low enough to compete with FDX. Our building capacities wouldn't have been enough to sucessfully process all the work. So does it make sense to try to win a few more jobs when you know a very real potential outcome is to lose all the work to our competitors.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
For years shippers have used brokers to bring loads from shippers to the Cach hub in broker trailers, QVC is one off the top of my head. They drop the trailers in the yard,we spot them on the wall and the packages enter the system,brokers take out the empty trailers. From the time the packages enter the system until we deliver them they`re ours. I`ve also seen UPS loads normally run by the long haul guys go out pulled by a broker. Usually this happens at peak but I think they are allowed to do so if no UPS drivers are available to pull it. Saw a set go out just this week.

You need to write down the trailer numbers every time you see a sub-contractor pulling a UPS load and file a grievance for it. In case you all have not noticed UPS will do whatever they can get away with, if no one is policing the contract then they can do whatever they please.