Suggested Reading For UPS Managers

A

anonymous6

"Contented Cows Give Better Milk"

by Richard Hadden

used on Amazon for less than a buck.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i have even a better idea, read some great books by jim casey. i dont know with his radical ideas why he didnt go out and start a business.

btw, it used to be his books could be found in every center. now, most people dont even know he wrote some.

d

Hawaii50

Books for rank and file.

Driving Change: The UPS Approach to Business by Mike B, Frederick Dalzell

The history of UPS is a century-long story about a visionary founder, Jim Casey, who took a simple idea and made it grow, forging a global delivery, logistics and transportation network. He built an exceptional company that recognizes the critical role of its employees and the need for constant renewal. Mike B and Frederick Dalzell were given complete archival access ('warts and all,' they say, although the book is very positive) to create this corporate biography for the company's 100th anniversary. They cover UPS's history and development, detailing Casey's visions and methods, and showing how UPS has become a leader in global shipping and logistics. Their enjoyable, informative book is as much an industrial engineering story as it is the biography of a company that has continually reinvented itself. getAbstract recommends it to businesspeople who want to see how diligent leaders built a global company.

Big Brown : The Untold Story of UPS by Greg Niemann

The package delivery business is a huge industry that hinges on personnel and logistics, as author Greg Niemann explains in this informative, entertaining biography of the United Parcel Service. Niemann, a UPS career insider, explains how the company became a global leader. He gives credit to the values of its founder, Jim Casey, a hard worker from a humble background. Casey believed in strict routine, safety, precision, shared responsibility and fairness he pioneered programs to distribute the company's wealth to his employees, while holding them to strict procedures. This absorbing corporate bio is more objective than you might expect, though clearly Niemann is a fan of Casey and UPS. We find that his focus on Casey's entrepreneurship offers a fine example for anyone who is trying to make a company prosper.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
My wife got Big Brown for me for Fathers Day, it's a great book for anyone who really cares about our company and the road that early UPSers had to travel. I highly recommend this book to everyone and anyone who works for UPS, or is just interested in a great American story. Its great for when your talking up the business with customers and you need some interesting facts to woo them over.

UPSviking

I have serious doubts that the current management thinks much about UPS legacy or Jim Casey´s principals.

It´s all about getting the revenue to the shareholders and less about growing the business...

I wish we could still be about the people and customer service....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Unfortunately, according to UPS management, even harrassed cows will give SOME milk. And if it's not enough, those cows will get warning letters
not really. what you hear are management talking about a sale on the over abundance of fresh ground chuck and roasts they will have:wink2:

and then dont forget all those happy cows that would just die to be in your field and stall..........

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have serious doubts that the current management thinks much about UPS legacy or Jim Casey´s principals.

It´s all about getting the revenue to the shareholders and less about growing the business...

I wish we could still be about the people and customer service....

Dear UPSviking,

This is not what it is all about.

Just because individuals are not upholding to what UPS is about doesn't change the enduring beliefs behind the company.

The values or UPS have been and continue to be about integrity, excellence, attention to customers needs, letting people feel pride in their contributions, treating people with dignity and respect and being strengthened by creating new ways to serve UPS employees and customers.

Check out the UPS Charter the Our Values section clearly states this. It seems pretty clear to me that a lot of management level people are not living up to their obligations to UPS. In other words they are not doing their jobs. It is a shame. All UPS employees should be expected to do their jobs.

Sincerely,
I

705red

Browncafe Steward
Dear UPSviking,

This is not what it is all about.

Just because individuals are not upholding to what UPS is about doesn't change the enduring beliefs behind the company.

The values or UPS have been and continue to be about integrity, excellence, attention to customers needs, letting people feel pride in their contributions, treating people with dignity and respect and being strengthened by creating new ways to serve UPS employees and customers.

Check out the UPS Charter the Our Values section clearly states this. It seems pretty clear to me that a lot of management level people are not living up to their obligations to UPS. In other words they are not doing their jobs. It is a shame. All UPS employees should be expected to do their jobs.

Sincerely,
I
Maybe in your little UPS perfect world, but not where we work at. Production comes first, with service being last on this list.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It seems pretty clear to me that a lot of management level people are not living up to their obligations to UPS.
and from what level of expertise do you draw your clear conclusions?

d

705red

Browncafe Steward
James E. Casey's 10 Rules For Continued Success Of UPS

C.L. Kane wrote "The Tightest Ship" an expose' about UPS from a driver's point of view Kane listed 10 Commandments from the company's founder.

• [*]1."The future of the package industry is in the air"
Casey began an air service in 1928. The Depression made the company abandon the service. After WWII, Casey wanted a Next Day Service. The "new" leaders of the company decided 48 state ground service was more important.

• [*]2."A fair day's work for a fair day's pay"
Old timers remember when almost every driver "ran under". The time allowance has been tightened so much that only the drivers who take short-cuts, skip lunch, work "off the clock" and/or run meet the standard.

• [*]3."Don't make company demands that border on harassment"
This website has many, many examples of the harassment that is systemic at UPS.

• [*]4."They are advised to constantly seek better, safer work methods."
If that was true, would UPS have the safety record it does? Faster, faster, and faster seems to be the policy.

• [*]5."Provide the best possible service for the least money."
"Left in building" packages are on the rise. Damage claims (especially over 70 lbs.) are very difficult to be resolved successfully. Other companies discount their prices deeper.

• [*]6."Always promote from our own ranks"
This should be especially true of the Industrial Engineering Department that sets the time allowance.

• [*]7."No stock outside the company"
Today, it's no voting power outside the company. No outsider (B stock owner) can pressure the Board of Directors to do anything. And how much did the Board members' portfolios rise on the day UPS began to publicly sell stock?

• [*]8."Treat your people well and the company will florish."
This website and others document the facts.

• [*]9."Stay close to your employees."
That probably didn't mean spy technology installed in every truck.

• [*]10."Personal pride and dignity are essential to each employee, without this management fails and the company will not prosper."
N.A.B.E.R. couldn't agree more.

Pump Up The Volume

The package delivery business is a huge industry that hinges on personnel and logistics, as author Greg Niemann explains in this informative, entertaining biography of the United Parcel Service. Niemann, a UPS career insider, explains how the company became a global leader. He gives credit to the values of its founder, Jim Casey, a hard worker from a humble background. Casey believed in strict routine, safety, precision, shared responsibility and fairness he pioneered programs to distribute the company's wealth to his employees, while holding them to strict procedures. This absorbing corporate bio is more objective than you might expect, though clearly Niemann is a fan of Casey and UPS. We find that his focus on Casey's entrepreneurship offers a fine example for anyone who is trying to make a company prosper.

This book provided a good insight into the founding of the company as well as chronicling the state transportation barriers that had to be taken down. I also found the battles with USPS and the history of UPS Air to be interesting. However, I found the other half of the book to be out of touch and nothing more than cheerleading.

A better book for the rank and file or business agents to read is the Big Brown Lie. I think this book captures the daily life of an average UPSer and its explotation by both UPS and the Teamsters better.

Integrity

Binge Poster
and from what level of expertise do you draw your clear conclusions?

d

Dear dannyboy,

I know a guy his name isn't Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent, but according to him, he has 15-30 years working as a mild manner UPS employee.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Maybe in your little UPS perfect world, but not where we work at. Production comes first, with service being last on this list.

Dear 705red,

Could you please provide the reference material you are using where UPS states that production first is the way we do business?

I would like to review it so as to draw my own conclusions as to it's intent. Thanks!

Sincerely,

I

Hawaii50

This book provided a good insight into the founding of the company as well as chronicling the state transportation barriers that had to be taken down. I also found the battles with USPS and the history of UPS Air to be interesting. However, I found the other half of the book to be out of touch and nothing more than cheerleading.

A better book for the rank and file or business agents to read is the Big Brown Lie. I think this book captures the daily life of an average UPSer and its explotation by both UPS and the Teamsters better.[/QUOTE]

I should have been more specific if you read Big Bown. The reading will show you how the company changed within a matter of years when it became a public company. The company is now profit driven UPS has to make shareholders"mutal fund managers, institutional investors happy.

Hawaii50

Dear 705red,

Could you please provide the reference material you are using where UPS states that production first is the way we do business?

I would like to review it so as to draw my own conclusions as to it's intent. Thanks!

Sincerely,

I

Are you on medication or do you actually do no work at UPS?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Dear 705red,

Sincerely,

I
Walk in to any UPS building and see for yourself. This is not the recipe to KFC chicken that we are talking about! Any one that works at UPS knows what im talking about!

705red

Browncafe Steward
service isn't last in my building, although tight cost control is a priority.
See this is whats the matter with UPS! As long as service isn't last its ok! What separates us from Fedex is SERVICE and this is now why we are losing more business to them. If we don't provide the service we are capable of than there is no reason to stay with us. IMO

D

Dis-organized Labor

See this is whats the matter with UPS! As long as service isn't last its ok! What separates us from Fedex is SERVICE and this is now why we are losing more business to them. If we don't provide the service we are capable of than there is no reason to stay with us. IMO

I don't want to get into this discussion, but I have to ask Dilligaf, AJBlakeJr, & Fethers................was there another sister not accounted for at the Hospital? 705: kinda' resembles you girls and ....he's kinda' hot. :wink2: