Suggestions for laptop?

over9five

Staff member
I'm thinking of getting a laptop for wifey and me. It would be used mostly for internet and movies. Wifi very important as we would use it while away from home (Don't want you guys to miss me while I'm on vacation).
Wifey knows she wants a 17" screen.

I've gotten pcs and laptops from Dell, and they've been good. Priced a Inspiron today. About $900.

Too much? Anything I should consider?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
whoadfafdff.jpg

I would suggest a diet first so you had a lap to sit the laptop on. :surprised::rofl:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm thinking of getting a laptop for wifey and me. It would be used mostly for internet and movies. Wifi very important as we would use it while away from home (Don't want you guys to miss me while I'm on vacation).
Wifey knows she wants a 17" screen.

I've gotten pcs and laptops from Dell, and they've been good. Priced a Inspiron today. About $900.

Too much? Anything I should consider?
What's that Inspiron got under the hood? CPU, RAM, Video card, etc. Check Dell's outlet store, you can save some $ as long as you don't have a fetish about being the very first person to touch that computer.

over9five

Staff member
What's that Inspiron got under the hood? CPU, RAM, Video card, etc. Check Dell's outlet store, you can save some $ as long as you don't have a fetish about being the very first person to touch that computer.

Inspiron 1750Inspiron 17 NotebookOperating SystemGenuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Edition SP1ProcessorIntel Pentium Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB)Memory4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHzLCD17.3" HD+ WLEDVideo CardIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HDHard Drive320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)System ColorObsidian BlackNetworkIntegrated 10/100 Network CardAdobe SoftwareAdobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0CD ROM/DVD ROM8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)SoundHigh Definition Audio 2.0WirelessIntel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini CardCameraIntegrated 1.3 MP WebcamProductivityMicrosoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPointAnti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed)McAfee 15 monthBattery OptionsLithium Ion Battery (6 cell)Hardware Support Services1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote DiagnosisBluetooth OptionDell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)Bluetooth OptionMicrosoft Bluetooth Laptop Mouse 5000 – Charcoal BlackProcessor LabelsIntel Pentium Label

Or basicly:

Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB)

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini Card

8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Thanks Jones, I'll check out the outlet store. Is it refurbs?

fethrs

Over you may want to try the ups employess discounts on upers.com. I know Toshiba gives a discount and there are others as well.

Solidarity413

Inspiron 1750Inspiron 17 NotebookOperating SystemGenuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Edition SP1ProcessorIntel Pentium Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB)Memory4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHzLCD17.3" HD+ WLEDVideo CardIntel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HDHard Drive320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)System ColorObsidian BlackNetworkIntegrated 10/100 Network CardAdobe SoftwareAdobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0CD ROM/DVD ROM8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)SoundHigh Definition Audio 2.0WirelessIntel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini CardCameraIntegrated 1.3 MP WebcamProductivityMicrosoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPointAnti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed)McAfee 15 monthBattery OptionsLithium Ion Battery (6 cell)Hardware Support Services1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote DiagnosisBluetooth OptionDell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)Bluetooth OptionMicrosoft Bluetooth Laptop Mouse 5000 – Charcoal BlackProcessor LabelsIntel Pentium Label

Or basicly:

Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800MHz FSB/1MB)

4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini Card

8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Thanks Jones, I'll check out the outlet store. Is it refurbs?

What's the price on this? I can do some looking around as well. What does the wife want to use it for?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They're refurbs mostly on the dell outlet site, along with a few scratch/dents and sold and returned unused. They all carry the same warranty as Dell's new computers. I looked around briefly and spotted this one, it will do everything you mentioned plus it's got a better video card and a bluray drive, so you can watch those movies in HD. If you poke around there is all kinds of deals, for what you're looking for (internet/movies) you basically just need a dual core cpu, then look for the best video card/RAM/DVD-Bluray drive in your price range. They will all have wireless internet.
  • Studio 17 (1737) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
  • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
System Price:$789.00
Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
Memory

4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive

250 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM) 2nd Drive
250 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Video

256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Media Bay

6X Slot Load Bluray (BD) Combo Drive (BD Read Only)
Certified Refurbished

Certified Refurbished
Base

Studio 17 (1737) Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Web Camera
Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
Software Upgrade

64BIT Operating System DVD
Microsoft Works 9.0
64BIT Operating System CD
Hardware Upgrade

125V Power Cord
6 Cell Primary Battery
90W AC Adapter
Integrated Finger Print Reader
System Color

Jet Black
Laptop Screen
17 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ Laptop Screen with TrueLife
Network Interface Card

Dell 1397 802.11B/G Wireless Mini Card

Solidarity413

I love my mac..... no need for spyware or antivirus (of course i am not looking for it either)))) lol

That's a bad reason to use a mac. Just use Linux way cheaper, free OS with free upgrades and most viruses are written on Linux not for it. But if you love it guess it doesn't matter :happy-very: Mac's are amazing for video/music editing.

Solidarity413

They're refurbs mostly on the dell outlet site, along with a few scratch/dents and sold and returned unused. They all carry the same warranty as Dell's new computers. I looked around briefly and spotted this one, it will do everything you mentioned plus it's got a better video card and a bluray drive, so you can watch those movies in HD. If you poke around there is all kinds of deals, for what you're looking for (internet/movies) you basically just need a dual core cpu, then look for the best video card/RAM/DVD-Bluray drive in your price range. They will all have wireless internet.

Get that one! Then go out and buy two sticks of ram, vista likes to eat up ram. It's cheap for like 40 bucks you can double your ram.

Edit: forgot this was for a laptop, nevermind with the ram upgrade its a lot harder on laptops.

over9five

Staff member

Here's two more questions:

Why does it have 2 smaller hard drives instead of 1 big one?

If I get a BluRay player, does that still play non BluRay movies?

Solidarity413

1st Q: 2 smaller hard drivers running at slower RPM then one big one running slower rpm is better. Laptops don't usually have 7200-10000 RPM hardrives so you'll see the 2 hard drive deal. Won't affect anything for you, if anything increase your performance.

2nd: Yes.

If that's all the wife wants to use it for, both the laptops the one you listed and the one Jones did are great. Have fun Over, I love computer shopping!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

1st Q: 2 smaller hard drivers running at slower RPM then one big one running slower rpm is better. Laptops don't usually have 7200-10000 RPM hardrives so you'll see the 2 hard drive deal. Won't affect anything for you, if anything increase your performance.

2nd: Yes.

If that's all the wife wants to use it for, both the laptops the one you listed and the one Jones did are great. Have fun Over, I love computer shopping!
What solidarity said, smaller hard drive = faster seek times. In addition I like the utility of having dual hard drives: OS/programs on the primary, everything else (files, mp3's, downloaded movies, cruise pictures, etc) on the second drive. That way if the OS takes a dump and you have to reformat/reinstall all your content is safely backed up.
And the bluray player is listed as a combo drive, it doesn't give specifics but that generally means it will play CD's and DVD's as well. I would be surprised if it didn't.