Summer ending = vacations ending. How is ups planning on training mass temp hires???

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
In my building there is no problem finding people who will take a day or week off with out pay.
Part time going home ok. friend the 3 to 5 hours. Work your other job no biggie. I'm talkin bout giving up top driver rate at 10 or so hours a day for a week at a time. Lol. I think not. If you are your not married!!!!!!my wife wouldn't go for that ish.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
By letting the "I'm happy getting by" drivers to home. Gone are the days of fighting over the right to work, it's fighting to see who doesn't work around here.

Generation "skating by" is here ladies and gentlemen. Hopefully those of you with kids teach your kids work ethic and desire to work, it will be a very valuable commodity in the future.
OT, but I prefer not to be commodified like you sickos insist everyone is. ;p
Work is the source of nearly all the misery in the world. Almost all the evil you'd care to name comes from working or from living in a world designed for work. In order to stop suffering, we have to stop working...
https://web.archive.org/web/20140716054447/http://tdu.org/upsresults13

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What I'm saying is they can't send home 3 ft cover drivers and say no work then turn around and try to train 3 temp hire drivers on same day. A grievance would = a free days pay every time.
Lol and some center manager are dumb enough to try it. This is how a little convo went with center manager a few weeks back.

center manager: take the day off for your 8.0

Worker: no I want to work

center manager: can't give you 8.0 your route has 11 hours today.

Worker: I have an 8.0 I'm not working over 8 hours

center manager: go home. I'm forcing you to go home.

The worker files a grievance and the center manager blows up. Saying he's going to start laying drivers off if they won't take days off. Steward says good luck with that since you're currently training 10 drivers.

Fedex Guy

In my building there is no problem finding people who will take a day or week off with out pay.

Same at my center. Everyone is constantly screaming to go home. I never have a hard time finding something to run.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

Brownslave688

They can't do that. They can't lay off ft drivers and train seasonal hires for pennies on the dollar. I have a feeling this is going to be happening everywhere. This is going to be a HUGE issue. Watch:nonono:
Exactly. All the laid off workers need to do is put pen to paper and ups will be paying out major $$$$$.

By The Book

The union really needs to start pushing these 9.5 to arbitrators. From what I see guys are going home not because they are lazy but because they are being killed from over dispatches. Nice the company pays 9.5 but you think these older guys knees and backs care a bout the money? This :censored2: needs to stop.
In our center the norm is guys are now calling in and if they've loaded up the route they'll take the day off if they can. Management will also call the ones this works on and tell them that today is a good day to take off. Just show up, no calls either way and work..... I know it benefits guys sometimes but it's another way of manipulation and mind control.

Brownslave688

In our center the norm is guys are now calling in and if they've loaded up the route they'll take the day off if they can. Management will also call the ones this works on and tell them that today is a good day to take off. Just show up, no calls either way and work..... I know it benefits guys sometimes but it's another way of manipulation and mind control.
I take my days off when they are convenient for me not for them.

Oh I have an 11 hour plan and this will be day 3 over? Just put me down for 12 because I'm gonna need to pace myself. I'll be filing for triple time. At $100 an hour you can work me 14 hours a day for all I care.

By The Book

No clue how they are planning to do this...my center is supposed to bring in 20 drivers in preparation for peak. I drive four days a week max. I am a ft coverage driver, I get sent out with 190-215 stops. They say I need more area knowledge to be able to work a full week. So I have no clue how they will train all the new drivers, when they have ft drivers with only two routes under their belt.
If they bring in these 20 guys and they use them in your building do you see 20 pkg cars sitting in your parking lot? Do you have the load spots to put them on the belt?

By The Book

I take my days off when they are convenient for me not for them.

Oh I have an 11 hour plan and this will be day 3 over? Just put me down for 12 because I'm gonna need to pace myself. I'll be filing for triple time. At $100 an hour you can work me 14 hours a day for all I care.
I agree sir! You sound old school and I think your handle is accurate and reflects your work ethic. My philosophy, load me up and leave me alone. I'm a gnats ass away from that 9.5 list.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
In my area they are sending drivers to MDST so hourlies can train peak drivers so a) no one gets laid off and b) we are not still training seasonal hires the week of Christmas.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
If they bring in these 20 guys and they use them in your building do you see 20 pkg cars sitting in your parking lot? Do you have the load spots to put them on the belt?
In the past 2 weeks have seen 6 brand new pkg cars with temp tags being towed into building parking lot.... I'm not an old timer per say.(20 years in) but never seen anything like it.

kingOFchester

This probably won't be popular, but

Who cares if drivers want to go home? Maybe they live debt free, live well below their means. Chose the 120k house over the 250k house. Max out their retirement accounts and can comfortably afford to work 3-4 days a week. Maybe they have a sugar mama. Maybe they were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and mama and papa take care of them. Maybe they live in debt, save nothing, house is in foreclosure but could care less and don't want to work. It really should not affect anyone other then the young low seniority drivers who haven't put their time in anyway.

We all, including myself, worry to much about what someone else is doing or not doing.

Now if your issue is, your dispatch is to high do to other drivers going home, then use the contract to enforce your rights. If the contract isn't benefiting you the way you want it to, then become more involved in the union and exercise your rights. Vote no. Vote for new leadership.

As far as what is going to happen after summer vacations, again who cares? They can't lay off senior drivers and train peak drivers. That has a snowballs chance in hell of working. The only ones that need to worry are the drivers that need 10's and 11's to pay their bills. Because I have a feeling they will be running more trips, and sending everyone out lighter in order to train the peak guys.

Point is, live below your means or get a sugar mama or get adopted by a rich family or friend' it and go further in debt.

Indecisi0n

This probably won't be popular, but

Who cares if drivers want to go home? Maybe they live debt free, live well below their means. Chose the 120k house over the 250k house. Max out their retirement accounts and can comfortably afford to work 3-4 days a week. Maybe they have a sugar mama. Maybe they were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and mama and papa take care of them. Maybe they live in debt, save nothing, house is in foreclosure but could care less and don't want to work. It really should not affect anyone other then the young low seniority drivers who haven't put their time in anyway.

We all, including myself, worry to much about what someone else is doing or not doing.

Now if your issue is, your dispatch is to high do to other drivers going home, then use the contract to enforce your rights. If the contract isn't benefiting you the way you want it to, then become more involved in the union and exercise your rights. Vote no. Vote for new leadership.

As far as what is going to happen after summer vacations, again who cares? They can't lay off senior drivers and train peak drivers. That has a snowballs chance in hell of working. The only ones that need to worry are the drivers that need 10's and 11's to pay their bills. Because I have a feeling they will be running more trips, and sending everyone out lighter in order to train the peak guys.

Point is, live below your means or get a sugar mama or get adopted by a rich family or friend' it and go further in debt.
So what you are saying is the needs of one is more important than the needs of all?

kingOFchester

So what you are saying is the needs of one is more important than the needs of all?

Not at all. But drivers going home should not be anyones issue as long as the contract is followed. Days off should be offered from top down. If a more senior driver has burnt their days, then the day off should move down to the next guy on the seniority list. If the contract is being followed, and a driver wants to and has the ability to take off several times a week, then it should not be an issue for anyone else.

oldngray

nowhere special
Not at all. But drivers going home should not be anyones issue as long as the contract is followed. Days off should be offered from top down. If a more senior driver has burnt their days, then the day off should move down to the next guy on the seniority list. If the contract is being followed, and a driver wants to and has the ability to take off several times a week, then it should not be an issue for anyone else.

It should be that way but frequently its the same people always getting to go home without following seniority. UPS will let their favorite go home (when he goes in earlier than most other drivers) then when the more senior drivers find out and complain UPS will just say the other guy already went home so everyone else has to work. That is not how it should be according to contract but often violated in principle.

kingOFchester

It should be that way but frequently its the same people always getting to go home without following seniority. UPS will let their favorite go home (when he goes in earlier than most other drivers) then when the more senior drivers find out and complain UPS will just say the other guy already went home so everyone else has to work. That is not how it should be according to contract but often violated in principle.

Agree 100000%. The issue lies with the union/members not enforcing the contract. I should of made it clear that I was talking about scenarios where the contract was not being broken. And again, if the contract is being broken, then it should be addressed.