Summer ending = vacations ending. How is ups planning on training mass temp hires???

margaritaville

This seems like a good thing if they get in under control.

-Routes might get less stacked to make more routes to train people
-You can actual see your friends/family which drivers usually complain about if u want the day off, it should be way easier
-they might actually pay some people to not work if forced to

But ya they'll probably :censored2: it up.

scoutlover

I made a thread about this in union discussions. They are going to take the bottom half of our bid drivers and force them into coverage while training all the new temps on those routes. My opinion is tough :censored2:, they've had the last 10 years to hire drivers and chose not to do it until the black eye this last Christmas. Find another way to do it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
In the past 2 weeks have seen 6 brand new pkg cars with temp tags being towed into building parking lot.... I'm not an old timer per say.(20 years in) but never seen anything like it.
We have about 10 brand new trucks in the yard that arrived last week that haven't been touched yet. Most are new 1000s with 15xxxx series numbers, but I did see one new 800 (would love it but I'm sure there are a few other guys they'd give it to first). We usually get about 30% of the new trucks that come in like this then the other 70% get distributed to other centers.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Seems like a perfect opportunity to volunteer for a couple of weeks of layoff time during the hottest time of the year.

It's been stated many times on BC that you guys don't need the money, well here is your chance to prove it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Seems like a perfect opportunity to volunteer for a couple of weeks of layoff time during the hottest time of the year.

It's been stated many times on BC that you guys don't need the money, well here is your chance to prove it.

Why is it that you will in one thread come off as a center manager I would have enjoyed working for, and in the next be one I would have tried to circumvent whenever I could?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

:woohoo:You want me to take time off!!!! :wootsmiley: O , wait. That would benefit you, never mind. I will demand to work, daily. :beersmiley::hapydancsmil:

blackcircle

Why is it that you will in one thread come off as a center manager I would have enjoyed working for, and in the next be one I would have tried to circumvent whenever I could?

Bad conference call?

They've started 4 or 5 full time drivers in my center in the last 2 weeks so I'm curious as to what they'll do when summer is over too. Who knows if they qualify or not... If they don't they'll just say they tried when we get slaughtered at peak again. The one lone PT TCD has done nothing but air and the occasional junk ground all summer.

kingOFchester

As much as we all say UPS will screw up something as simple as getting their way out of a paper bag, I do not think UPS will just lay off all the new drivers they have been bringing out. Peak was a media disaster last year that left a stain on our shield. And yes, Fedex too.

What they will do, my hunch anyway, is send out drivers a little lighter then usual. They will peal off some housing developments, and build some small mostly residential routes for the new hires to run. These routes will not have to be 8 hours as the new drivers are not entitled to 8 hour guarantee. I believe, if a center is over staffed come early fall, and they do not have enough volunteers to take a layoff, they will bite the bullet for the 4-6 weeks and send out drivers lighter to build these small residential routes to get the new drivers some experience.

They will also lay off some of the new summer hires, who have no seniority so they can then bring out a few more new hires and get them up to speed. Then as peak nears bring back the layed off non-senioirty drivers. This would work in a building like mine as we have already exhausted all inside hires. The new drivers coming out now have no inside experience. Just another hunch.

Just my opinion and perhaps I am putting to much faith in brown. Peak is really not that far away. Trips in my center have gotten helpers in October.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Everyone complains that we never hire enough or have enough, well now we do. Its either lay off, ask if someone wants to lay off for the week, have people running junk and get no training or suffer the same as we do every peak. So what's it going to be?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Everyone complains that we never hire enough or have enough, well now we do. Its either lay off, ask if someone wants to lay off for the week, have people running junk and get no training or suffer the same as we do every peak. So what's it going to be?

Dragon, our center has started using senior drivers to train new hires. Is that something you have already been doing or have thought about doing in your center? I took a former feeder driver on road for 6 hours yesterday. At first he was overwhelmed by the pace but at the end of the day he was starting to catch up. The DIAD will be his biggest issue----once he gets the hang of that he will do just fine.

QKRSTKR

Dragon, our center has started using senior drivers to train new hires. Is that something you have already been doing or have thought about doing in your center? I took a former feeder driver on road for 6 hours yesterday. At first he was overwhelmed by the pace but at the end of the day he was starting to catch up. The DIAD will be his biggest issue----once he gets the hang of that he will do just fine.
That's good to hear and makes sense. They should also allow senior drivers to cross train new hires on their routes.

Can't do that. with Teamcrap,you have to have on punch per week.
Also if you take a layoff,no money is put into our pensions.

Maybe put a few routes in?

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Part time going home ok. friend the 3 to 5 hours. Work your other job no biggie. I'm talkin bout giving up top driver rate at 10 or so hours a day for a week at a time. Lol. I think not. If you are your not married!!!!!!my wife wouldn't go for that ish.
Only the guys who have to check on their cheating wives do that over here. My wife hooks it up, after a 55 hour week. Work hard, play hard.