Summoned for Jury Duty

Ghost in the Darkness

Well I knew it was coming when I had to fill out the questionaire for jury duty back in June. I've been summoned for December 8 and its my first time. I'd rather get it over with than have to deal with it in 6 months again if they grant me a postponement. I know its in peak and all but its not like I had a choice in being selected. Anyone have any opinions on it?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I put in a "please let me go" note once when I got summoned for jury duty in peak. I was excused ad have still never been called for jury duty. I think that was about 8 years ago.

browndevil

Well I knew it was coming when I had to fill out the questionaire for jury duty back in June. I've been summoned for December 8 and its my first time. I'd rather get it over with than have to deal with it in 6 months again if they grant me a postponement. I know its in peak and all but its not like I had a choice in being selected. Anyone have any opinions on it?
You are holding the "Golden Ticket" I hope you get picked:happy-very:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Take the summons into work asap so they know it's legit. Have them make a copy so you are scheduled accordingly. Make sure to get a jury slip from the court when you serve so you get paid by UPS the difference between jury duty and your regular pay.

I used to like going to the court house for jury duty. I took pride in fulfilling my civic duty and still getting paid!

If you are picked for a Federal Grand Jury you are in for a once in a lifetime experience. You'll being missing a lot of work.

Channahon

Jury duty is a civic responsibility. Although I have never been called, there were some cases where I would have like to be a juror or a fly on the wall in the jury room.

Anyways, UPS cannot deny you the time off to serve, Peak or not.

rod

Retired 22 years
Why would anyone in their right mind, working for UPS, want to get out of jury duty? Especially during peak. I was called up two different times and loved every minute of it. Both times it was for the winter session (Jan. -Mar.) and believe me that courthouse was a hell of a lot warmer that a package car in Feb. I served a total of 10 days the 1st time and 12 days the second time. First time UPS let me keep jury pay and the mileage ck so combined with the days pay UPS gives you I actually came out ahead. Second time UPS took the Jury pay but let me keep the milage ck. I enjoyed it so much that after I was released from the second session I marched into the Clerk of Courts office and told them that anytime they needed a juror fell free to give me a call:peaceful: Jury duty rocks!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've voted for the last thirty years and never even been called for jury duty (jurors selected from voter roll in GA). My wife has been called 4 times. People in the office tell me I would be rejected anyway.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've voted for the last thirty years and never even been called for jury duty (jurors selected from voter roll in GA). My wife has been called 4 times. People in the office tell me I would be rejected anyway.

From my experience a person can get excused from most any trial during the jury selection process by just answering the lawyers questions in a way that won't be benificial to their clients case. The question that got most jurors excused was-- Do you have anything against alcohol? If they said that they were totally against it they were dismissed imidiately. It seems like in every case being tried part of the defense was "I was drinking and can't remember what happened". I was on 7 different cases and in everyone of them (both civil and criminal) alcohol was used as part of the argument as to why something did or did not happened. P.S. In case you haven't figured it out - I don't have anything against alcohol---

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
word of caution. if you dont have to serve, you must show up for work. if you claim you were in the court house waiting to be called, and they find out you were not, that is a dischargeable offence.

had a driver here get fired over doing just that. thought he could chalk up a day off with pay. stead it cost him his job.

c

Channahon

A friend of mine was called, and during his interview, he stated he is a member of the NRA and asked if the judge was a "hanging judge" and was not chosen.

Not that I condone what he did, but it is a fun story to tell!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
A local radio talk host heard that people were being dismissed from a jury pool if anyone said that they were regular listeners to his program.
The verdict for that trial came down last week........guilty.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with Rod. Here we have to sign a waiver so that we don't receive the jury duty pay but are paid for the time that we are away from work (8 hrs x # days away). Mileage is not paid but the courthouse is only 2 miles from my house.

It is fairly easy to get out of jury duty but again I wonder why anyone would, especially when your pay is guaranteed as ours is.

word of caution. if you dont have to serve, you must show up for work. if you claim you were in the court house waiting to be called, and they find out you were not, that is a dischargeable offence.

had a driver here get fired over doing just that. thought he could chalk up a day off with pay. stead it cost him his job.

c
Is that in the Master Contract or is it in the supplement?

JustTired

free at last.......
I've heard but don't really know this for sure.......that UPS can get you out of jury duty (whether you want to do it or not) by petitioning the court that you are critical to the operation of the company and need to be excused. Has anybody else heard of this happening?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Do you have any family in law enforcement? That is an automatic disqualification, thats what happened when I got called for jury duty.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've heard but don't really know this for sure.......that UPS can get you out of jury duty (whether you want to do it or not) by petitioning the court that you are critical to the operation of the company and need to be excused. Has anybody else heard of this happening?

Thinking that the world will end and UPS will go down the crapper just because you miss a few days of work is funny--------------------believe me- UPS will survive without you. :happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
It's Peak, your company needs you. Man-up, you have a job to do! Postpone jury duty for another time!

Name me a time that UPS doesn't "need you". Apparently you never tried to take a day off on short notice. :peaceful: When they tell you that you are layed off ---THEN they don't "need you":wink2: The UPS I worked for was ALWAYS understaffed on the hourly side. Take the jury duty-you won't regret it and life will go on.