Summoned for Jury Duty

gandydancer

...It is fairly easy to get out of jury duty but again I wonder why anyone would, especially when your pay is guaranteed as ours is.

No ot, and $15/day doesn't pay the gas from Pacifica to Redwood City. (No mileage, either.) If you work nights for UPS you need to be aware of the details of the rules about showing up for work. They don't necessarily allow for sleep, as I recall.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was summoned once, last year. I didn't get picked but did keep my mileage pay. Didn't have to go back to work that day either. Didn't get home until mid-afternoon.

JustTired

free at last.......
Thinking that the world will end and UPS will go down the crapper just because you miss a few days of work is funny--------------------believe me- UPS will survive without you. :happy-very:

They have been "surviving without me" for several months, now. My point was that....even if you want to serve, they can basically go behind your back and get you out of it. At least that is what I've heard can be done.

By the way, I'm enjoying retirement at least as much as you are. By god, there was light at the end of the tunnel. Just wondered if I'd ever get there. Turns out...it was all worth it!!:happy-very:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I've heard but don't really know this for sure.......that UPS can get you out of jury duty (whether you want to do it or not) by petitioning the court that you are critical to the operation of the company and need to be excused. Has anybody else heard of this happening?

One time we had a center manager that did try to pull that card, the county sheriff and Teamster business agent showed up within the week at PCM time. There were a number of drivers who were friends of the sheriff and he was talking to them with the BA in the lunch room just as the center manager walked in. The sheriff & BA asked the center manager to step outside before the PCM. About 2 minutes went by past start time and nobody moved. The center manager came in did his brief PCM but was visibly shaking the whole time. It was Priceless!

Nobody would reveal what was said outside but it seemed like a lot more UPS employees got called for jury duty in the next year than in the past.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I was picked twice, once for regular jury duty and a second time for grand jury duty where I basically served one day a week for about three months.

During my first stint it was like a godsend because I just became a full-time package driver and was hating every minute of it. I sat on a civil jury and it lasted about a week.

The grand jury was nice but actually a little tough to do. I just became a feeder driver and was working nights. UPS said I could take the night before off or the night of my jury duty day. I choose the night of and basically would go straight from working all night to jury duty. By the end of the day I would be ready to collapse from listening to lawyers go on and on about what was usually a boring small time drug case. But, after they started to have us consider indicting horrific murder and rape cases, I was ready to hear the drug ones again.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Cross your fingers and hope to get selected. UPS pays u 8 hrs per day spent at jury duty granted your a full time employee. Sitting on a jury(been there) sure beats monkey slaving in a package car.

mikeups1978

I was called for jury duty today March, 21 2011. I called the automated line and they said the case would be moved tomorrow March, 22nd. Since I already scheduled the day off, and I didn't have to report; do I have to go to work today? Will it be no-call, no-show? I won't get paid either way?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Usually, they have you call the night before you are to report. Then other times, there are things that get into the schedule, and they update it the morning of the schedule.

If you are notified in a timely manner, and can report to work, you must report. That has been one of the points here that have gotten people fired. UPS has the same phone number, and they call it to see if the employee is honest. So dont play games with jury duty. If you know you dont have to serve the next day, chances are very very good UPS knows it as well. You claim jury duty pay for that day, and you get to take the walk of shame. And if you dont qualify for jury duty pay, then you must report for work.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was called for jury duty today March, 21 2011. I called the automated line and they said the case would be moved tomorrow March, 22nd. Since I already scheduled the day off, and I didn't have to report; do I have to go to work today? Will it be no-call, no-show? I won't get paid either way?

I would call your supervisor to see what he wants you to do.