Supervisor Pay

spitt2000

I am a preloader/air driver that has gone through all of the Mapp process and am currently "in the pool" waiting to see what kind of full time sup. offers I can get. The more people I talk to, the wider the range of offers I am told I will receive, mostly based on how ignorant they feel I will be about the payscale. Anybody been through this, or have any experience going from the "trenches" into Management? It's really sad to think that they would take advantage of you upfront, but I've been here long enough to believe it.... let's hear your comments!

trickpony1

Re: Superviser Pay

My comment?
What's the difference between UPS and the Boy Scouts?
scroll down.........

The Boy Scouts has adult supervision!

rngri4

I am a preloader/air driver that has gone through all of the Mapp process and am currently "in the pool" waiting to see what kind of full time sup. offers I can get. The more people I talk to, the wider the range of offers I am told I will receive, mostly based on how ignorant they feel I will be about the payscale. Anybody been through this, or have any experience going from the "trenches" into Management? It's really sad to think that they would take advantage of you upfront, but I've been here long enough to believe it.... let's hear your comments!

If you are considered a Part Time loader and Part Time Air Driver, you will likely receive nothing but Part Time offers, if you are classified in a full time combo job, you will likely get full time offers. I have a 4 year degree, and was "in the pool," for close to a year, they will lie to you, just don't get your hopes way up for something to happen tomorrow.

trickpony1

rngri4-

"....they will lie to you........."

surely you jest!

this is a company that espouses honesty and integrity!

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
The Mapp process is rather complicated. The best thing I have seen PT sups do recently is simply talk with those who have been most recently successful to get some tips. They can't disclose all, but thay can tell you what the panel is looking for. You have accomplished the hard part--passing the test. Congratulations... Old Old Sup

chipolapitch

OLD SUP

Back lasher, if the question is what was 18, I would say it was your IQ. The point is we can work together, but not with stupid, isolating comments such as yours.

tieguy

Banned

I see that you are fairly new here, welcome from one of the crowd. Here is a thread started by the owner of this site, recommended reading.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/mutual-respect-and-tolerance.136196/

I think its great that you are encouraging mutual respect and tolerance. However it appears you forgot to give this same advice to non management poster Kram. This is why I have kidded you about being the management rudeness rustler. :happy-very:

tieguy

Banned

Back to the original intent behind this thread. If I understand you correctly you are listening to scuttlebut and getting upset. Bad move.

Your offer may depend on the job itself. There are at least 4 different pay grades to being a full time sup. If you are offered a staff position then your pay grade may start out lower.

From what i have seen they tend to look at what you are currently making and then bump you up at least 30 percent from that figure.

But don't let the scuttlebut sour your attitude already.

I think its great that you are encouraging mutual respect and tolerance. However it appears you forgot to give this same advice to non management poster Kram. This is why I have kidded you about being the management rudeness rustler. :happy-very:
Whoa there big fella... I wasn't meaning to start nuttin'! I was just trying to inform the new guy that the perception of flaming was a touchy subject at present time. I figured crudeness would be taken care of in time without a war erupting.
BTW did you ever notice the title under my name on here? I owe it all to you.

filthpig

I've been with UPS for 20 years now and the state of our management is the thing that worries me most when it comes to our company's future.
When i began working here, my managers (FT and PT) for the most part seemed to have a good working knowledge of the processes required to do the job.
You had no trouble picking out who would be the next to go into supervision because it was usually the guy who was best at what he did and was always at work on time, etc. As a result, he already had the respect of many of his people because he could do the job he was asking them to do. When I was on the preload, if a PT supe loaded for an absent preloader, the job was always done correctly and usually better than the preloader could do. I'm not knocking the loaders I worked with on preload. We were good. We were good because we were trained by someone who knew what they were doing. After a while these PT supes would go to full time and further spread their influence and knowledge. Things were good.
Not so now. Most of the idiots in PT supervision are promoted after about 12 weeks in the hub because they came to work everyday, not because they were good at what they did. They suck at what they do, and as a result the people under them suck too. Their employees have no respect for them because none was earned. All of the sudden for no apparent reason the knucklehead next to you gets promoted and is your boss.
The FT supes are the ones that really get me. They're usually some minority or a womanish person. They drive for 6 weeks on some cake route in the springtime and all of the sudden they're my boss. Sickening.
Back to your original question on pay: as far as I know, FT supe pay is 45 hrs. per week at the top pay scale for your location. Your stock bonus is paid in December and is equal to 1/2 of a month's pay. You retain all of your vacation you accrued as an hourly. No overtime.

pretzel_man

Back to the original intent behind this thread. If I understand you correctly you are listening to scuttlebut and getting upset. Bad move.

Your offer may depend on the job itself. There are at least 4 different pay grades to being a full time sup. If you are offered a staff position then your pay grade may start out lower.

From what i have seen they tend to look at what you are currently making and then bump you up at least 30 percent from that figure.

But don't let the scuttlebut sour your attitude already.

If I'm reading this correctly, his original post was a year and a half ago. Hopefully, he got his answer and made a decision.

I've counseled many about going into management and the last thing I discuss is pay. Not that its a secret, but it should be the very last consideration.

People should know WHY they want to be in management. They should understand the job and why its different than an hourly position. While there are many similarities between successful people in different jobs, the best driver doesn't necessarily make the best supervisor.

After this long discussion, if someone still thinks management is for them, discussing pay scale is straighforward. There are guidelines for starting pay and increases. Contrary to popular belief staff and operations have the same pay ranges.

MIP is not a mystery and realtively consistent.

My point is that if someone is considering management for the pay or an easier job, that is the wrong reason for asking the question.

P-Man

HazMatMan

Why would you want to be a supervisor??

now THAT is a really good question. I know full well that I could not handle the stress of being an on car sup. The crap runs both up and down hill, for less $ per hour worked and you never really get a minutes rest from the stench. If you are getting hit in the face you can still smell either the last one or the next one coming.
Having said that, I will add. If one does elect to go into management, it's a job that needs to be done right, too many people depend on that. We have way too many sups (where I come from) that seem to think that it's a job that can be done randomly.

UPS Lifer

I don't think it has anything to do with how "ignorant" you are about the pay scale. There are different pay grades and positions and based on your skill set, education level, experience and any prior leadership positions as well as the way you interview, etc. is how your salary will be determined.

If you already have a distrust of your management team in the district, is a management position really for you? I base that on this "ignorance" issue you brought up.

The biggest mistake I have seen supervisors and managers make is trying to compare salaries. One person (if not both) always leaves the discussion with the very bad taste in their mouth.

My best recommendation is to keep your salary discussion to you and your boss.

Once you become a supervisor.....
There is no harm in asking what the salary range is as well as the midpoint
and how your boss determined your salary. There is no harm in making a case why you should get more (be careful!) but don't tell others what you make. If they have questions on salary... point them to HR!

I have seen supvs take this approach: I make this much ___ how much do you make? Don't succumb to that approach. AND if it is an amount that is higher than you make..... don't necessarily believe that it is true! Keep a poker face and let it go.

upsgrunt

Every contract year, UPS thinks it is such a good idea to put in all the papers what the drivers make per hour, per year, etc. Why shouldn't it be public knowledge what each sup. or manager makes? If corporate wants to use it as leverage against us, why isn't it fair for us to know what the actual salaries are for those on the "other side".
Just curious

UPS Lifer

Every contract year, UPS thinks it is such a good idea to put in all the papers what the drivers make per hour, per year, etc. Why shouldn't it be public knowledge what each sup. or manager makes? If corporate wants to use it as leverage against us, why isn't it fair for us to know what the actual salaries are for those on the "other side".
Just curious

Each supervisor and manager make different amounts. Except for the starting salary grade, two supervisors who started on the same day at the same salary will progress through the company and attain different pay increases based on their skill as well as experience and area of responsibility and in some cases what is in the budget. Also, their annual review plays a factor along with their continuing education level.

Bottom line.... Each supervisor or manager is there to do a job not spend time whining and complaining about how much money the next guy is making vs. what they are making. It is nobody's business.

Salaries are not decided by seniority. They are decided by many factors - some of which may seem more subjective based on who is making the decision and what they feel is the priority of importance when it comes to giving the person a raise.

An example to use is ask yourself how many times someone got promoted over you and you wondered why them and not you?

upsgrunt

I agree, and see your point, but why should the drivers salary be public knowledge during contract time? Why should THAT be public knowledge?