Supervisors changed the shifts and now I don't get any lunch breaks.

DBD12

I'm working as a part time preloader at my local UPS. Recently the supervisors there decided to make some changes to the layout of the trucks and trailers and moving them closer to each other in order to make loading the trucks as quick as possible. They said this was done so that the 3 AM start time would be done with and everybody would start at 5 or 6 AM depending on what you are doing. Me and the other part time preloaders start loading the trucks at 6 AM and have to be done by 11:30 AM, because of this the supervisors are not giving us our lunch break even if we work more than 5 hours since it would cause us to finish loading the trucks at 12 PM or later which would piss off the drivers. I'm wondering if this is normal since they used to be so anal about us part timers clocking out before 5 hours and even going as far as putting that we took a lunch break if we went over 5 hours but didn't take a lunch break. Now they only care if we go over 6 hours and if we do they just put that we took a lunch break. I'm not sure how to go about this.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You mean the 10 minute break?
Depends on your area, the contract, local laws, even whether local laws have a stipulation that the contract/law supersedes determines when you take your breaks and lunches.

Generally. You get 1 break early on. Potentially a second break after a longer period of time. And a lunch after 6/8 hours.

EG here in the West. Contract supersedes the state meal periods. With 1 break after 2 hours, another after 6, and finally.a lunch period after 8, which is 2 hours longer than the state's 6 hour cap for lunches.

I would strongly suggest you work with a steward, even the BA to shut this down. I don't think drivers understand the negative health impacts of being on your feet without so much as a seat for extended periods of time.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I'm working as a part time preloader at my local UPS. Recently the supervisors there decided to make some changes to the layout of the trucks and trailers and moving them closer to each other in order to make loading the trucks as quick as possible. They said this was done so that the 3 AM start time would be done with and everybody would start at 5 or 6 AM depending on what you are doing. Me and the other part time preloaders start loading the trucks at 6 AM and have to be done by 11:30 AM, because of this the supervisors are not giving us our lunch break even if we work more than 5 hours since it would cause us to finish loading the trucks at 12 PM or later which would piss off the drivers. I'm wondering if this is normal since they used to be so anal about us part timers clocking out before 5 hours and even going as far as putting that we took a lunch break if we went over 5 hours but didn't take a lunch break. Now they only care if we go over 6 hours and if we do they just put that we took a lunch break. I'm not sure how to go about this.
Done loading at 11:30 a.m.? Hmmm...

542thruNthru

I'm guessing you're in California.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
A 6am to 12pm preload ?!? Lmao … sounds about right

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Do you work for fedex or dhl

542thruNthru

You mean the 10 minute break?
Depends on your area, the contract, local laws, even whether local laws have a stipulation that the contract/law supersedes determines when you take your breaks and lunches.

Generally. You get 1 break early on. Potentially a second break after a longer period of time. And a lunch after 6/8 hours.

EG here in the West. Contract supersedes the state meal periods. With 1 break after 2 hours, another after 6, and finally.a lunch period after 8, which is 2 hours longer than the state's 6 hour cap for lunches.

I would strongly suggest you work with a steward, even the BA to shut this down. I don't think drivers understand the negative health impacts of being on your feet without so much as a seat for extended periods of time.
Never heard of a contract superseding state law. I've heard of exemptions like here in CA. But to my knowledge the exemption is that the contract has to have meal period language that is greater or equal to the state law.

A PTer that works over 6 hours has to take a meal break or sign a waiver in CA.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Never heard of a contract superseding state law. I've heard of exemptions like here in CA. But to my knowledge the exemption is that the contract has to have meal period language that is greater or equal to the state law.

A PTer that works over 6 hours has to take a meal break or sign a waiver in CA.
@eats packages Contract does not supersede State law.In California If you work over 6 and do not receive a lunch that is a Cal meal penalty which is equal to an hour of pay added to your check which will say Cal meal on the paycheck.(Unit managers love shaving the time card or adding a fake lunch to the check)An easy grievance to win.
You must also give nonexempt employees an opportunity to take a 10-minute paid rest break for every four hours worked, or major fraction thereof. You owe the employee one hour of pay if the employee is unable to take one or more rest breaks.
If you work over 7 hours and do not receive your lunch before the end of your 5th hour that is a Cal meal penalty which an equal to an hour of pay,by law it should be added to your check under Cal meal(Unit managers love changing the time card to avoid paying it )An easy grievance to win.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
If you are in Cali file grievances if in another state google the lunch and rest break laws and file in accordance,these are easy to win as long as you keep track of your minutes they can't argue against it they pay up

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
A few weeks ago. It's a new thing they are doing. They say it's most likely is going to be permanent thing.
So the 10:30 deadline for NDA is no more? You’re telling me that the most lucrative service we provide is no longer being provided, that’s what you’re telling me. Our boys are peeling out by 9.

DBD12

So the 10:30 deadline for NDA is no more? You’re telling me that the most lucrative service we provide is no longer being provided, that’s what you’re telling me. Our boys are peeling out by 9.
NDA trucks are separated from the trucks I'm loading. The trucks in my section are mostly for ground shipping packages.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
NDA trucks are separated from the trucks I'm loading. The trucks in my section are mostly for ground shipping packages.
So no body has NDA anymore except the guys running straight airs? That’s…. You might be on to something there.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
@eats packages Contract does not supersede State law.In California If you work over 6 and do not receive a lunch that is a Cal meal penalty which is equal to an hour of pay added to your check which will say Cal meal on the paycheck.(Unit managers love shaving the time card or adding a fake lunch to the check)An easy grievance to win.
You must also give nonexempt employees an opportunity to take a 10-minute paid rest break for every four hours worked, or major fraction thereof. You owe the employee one hour of pay if the employee is unable to take one or more rest breaks.
If you work over 7 hours and do not receive your lunch before the end of your 5th hour that is a Cal meal penalty which an equal to an hour of pay,by law it should be added to your check under Cal meal(Unit managers love changing the time card to avoid paying it )An easy grievance to win.
No it does not.
Unless you live in a state (oregon ,idaho, etc) which wrote a law that specifically exempts bargaining unit employees from their law. When an appropriate replacement article is written for break and meal periods.
In layman's terms. effectively allowing the contract to superseed what would otherwise be their law.

I was not here to argue specifics. Just to give out information that may or may not be relevant.