supervisors giving me a hard time about a raise?

Ant12

Im a part time package handler, been working for 11 months. Never called out, always on time, never complain. There is a 1$ skilled worker raise that you get if you know the sorts. I've known the sorts for a very long time now, and i asked for the raise. My sup told me that i need to prove myself...then i ask my other coworkers when they got theirs if they had trouble like i am. They said no, and they got the raise immediately without needing to prove themself or to go up and sort. Im a loader and i caught 6 bad bags in one week (which is a very big deal) My sups then say good job, you broke a record blah blah blah..like i don't care just give me my raise. 3 weeks after i ask i ask again and they say they are working on it. What should i do??

oldngray

nowhere special
Did you pass the sort test and are you currently working as a sorter? You only get sort pay if you are sorting .

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Im a part time package handler, been working for 11 months. Never called out, always on time, never complain. There is a 1$ skilled worker raise that you get if you know the sorts. I've known the sorts for a very long time now, and i asked for the raise. My sup told me that i need to prove myself...then i ask my other coworkers when they got theirs if they had trouble like i am. They said no, and they got the raise immediately without needing to prove themself or to go up and sort. Im a loader and i caught 6 bad bags in one week (which is a very big deal) My sups then say good job, you broke a record blah blah blah..like i don't care just give me my raise. 3 weeks after i ask i ask again and they say they are working on it. What should i do??
You're a loader, not a sorter.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
2014-10-09-11-50-44--2044915248.jpeg
I got your raise,...right here!!

AndUPSER

All I had to do to get my $1 raise was to pass the pick off test and pick off for 5 minutes. I don't even think I worked for more than 6 months. I loaded like 95% of the time after that.

Ant12

Did you pass the sort test and are you currently working as a sorter? You only get sort pay if you are sorting .
not true, all 15 people on my PD have the raise and have never once been up to sort, they just know where everything goes.

oldngray

nowhere special
Even if you are qualified for a skilled position you can get paid less for doing unskilled work. A lot depends on what your current job classification is. Preloaders still get preload rate if they work in unload for example but if they get assigned there as their regular position then they can lose the skilled pay (sometimes happens to really really bad preloaders).

Ant12

Even if you are qualified for a skilled position you can get paid less for doing unskilled work. A lot depends on what your current job classification is. Preloaders still get preload rate if they work in unload for example but if they get assigned there as their regular position then they can lose the skilled pay (sometimes happens to really really bad preloaders).
i mean, i guess that makes sense. But it doesn't apply to my other 15 coworkers, so why should it apply to me?

Ant12

Grievance and ask back pack and penalty pay with green check. They screw with my money I screw with theirs
thats probably what i need to end up doing...i asked nicely multiple times and continued to prove i know where everything goes. It better be in my paycheck within 2 weeks or ill definatley need to call the union.

AndUPSER

thats probably what i need to end up doing...i asked nicely multiple times and continued to prove i know where everything goes. It better be in my paycheck within 2 weeks or ill definatley need to call the union.

But they don't have to give it to you since you're not qualified.

Ant12

But why should you be paid as a sorter if you're loading? I can read too...can I get another dollar an hour?
I'm just going by what 15 other coworkers said...none of them have ever been up to sort. They got the raise because they know how. I would have probably been better off not asking this question here cause most have probably not have been part time for decades nor care how :censored2: we get paid

bumped

Step 1. You asked. They didn't give you the raise

Step 2. Go to your union steward and tell him/her your issue.

Step 3. If still nothing done, or the answer you don't like go to a drivers union steward.

If you don't know who these stewards are, then ask the fellow loaders and/or any drivers.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm just going by what 15 other coworkers said...none of them have ever been up to sort. They got the raise because they know how. I would have probably been better off not asking this question here cause most have probably not have been part time for decades nor care how :censored2: we get paid
Stop whining...I've been a PT preloader for 8 years. You can't prove what your co-workers got unless you've seen their paystubs. And why are you asking on here instead of talking to your steward?