Supervisor's Pet

Cowboy Mac

How do you all deal with the Supervisor's Pet?

You know the guy: Cares about production, runs around telling everyone to hurry up because they're not working hard enough, orders others around as if he is a supervisor, uses equipment with no regard for safety (but they are on the safety committee). The supervisor always sides with this person in any argument, even if this person is completely wrong.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Life has an ignore feature, use it. I don't concern myself with what those types do, they have no control over me, they have no opinion I care about, and I don't associate myself with them.

clean hairy

That person becomes an an outcast where no one speaks to them.
Others talking stop until the outcast goes away, if they don't they are asked to leave as a private discussion is going on.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I put him in a headlock and give him noogies followed by a brutally tight wedgie. That's how we dealt with the hall monitors in 4th grade.

SCV good to go sir.

Got a guy like that in my center, but most of the cover drivers (i.e. younger drivers) are like that. He's pretty popular and I'm outside this cliche. I'm fine with that, but when I overheard him talking :censored2: and had people tell me he was talking :censored2: behind my back on several occasions...

I can be ice cold. He's attempted to act buddy buddy with me and has received nothing but the cold shoulder. He will continue to receive it until the day I die. I don't care if someone doesn't like me. Hell, I'll work with them just because the operation is above us. The moment they actively try to make my life more difficult, I ignore them.

Life is too short and this job has enough bull :censored2: for me to deal with additional crap.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
We have a couple of those type at my center. One is absolutely pathetic. He gets a lot of special treatment for all his scrotum polishing and he is the laughing stock of the center. It's really sickening to watch.

Box Ox

Cares about production, runs around telling everyone to hurry up because they're not working hard enough, orders others around as if he is a supervisor

Sounds super gross. Not sure how that would be more beneficial to a union hourly than simply working smart, asserting contract rights and having a good working relationship with fellow Teamsters. Maybe there's some hot hanky panky sup/"loader" role playing action going on off-belt.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
How do you all deal with the Supervisor's Pet?

You know the guy: Cares about production, runs around telling everyone to hurry up because they're not working hard enough, orders others around as if he is a supervisor, uses equipment with no regard for safety (but they are on the safety committee). The supervisor always sides with this person in any argument, even if this person is completely wrong.
You round up the other guys and you all come to an agreement to not speak or acknowledge him.

Box Ox

Maybe you could call the anonymous tip line and report the guy for impersonating a sup without "qualifying" as such or receiving sup training. After the tip line operator hangs up and has a good laugh with coworkers over the thought, maybe he or she will get an order sent down the line for him to "Uh, please cut that out, sup impersonator guy."

J

jibbs

I'd treat that person as if they weren't even there.

If they have something work-related to say, I'll physically respond and handle the work-- but that dude gets no conversation, no help.... nothing, really, other than some savage glares when his work backing up would start to effect me.

If it got really bad I'd reverse it on him and ride his ass about working safely in accordance with all of our methods because, and believe me, brutha, nobody follows that :censored2: 100%. Hounding him about where his crayon's at, looking inside his trucks wondering why he didn't lip-load that one package in the 4000 section, telling him to stop stacking out and load that :censored2: like he's supposed to.... those may or may not apply, but seeing as how he's an inside worker I'm willing to bet they all will at one point or another.

Also, more often than not it seems like the ones pushing everybody else to work harder are unable or unwilling to reach that level of performance themselves. It's like they think if they can get everyone else to crank it up to 110%, they can dial their own efforts down to 50%.

:censored2: those people.

Typically, I don't respond well to PTers telling other PTers what to do unless somebody's really :censored2:ing up pulls other than their own (and I mean really :censored2:ing up.) If you want to direct your co-workers, you need to step out of the union and put your brightly colored polo shirt on.

I don't mind someone with more experience showing me a better way to do something, but it's pretty easy to tell when someone's genuinely trying to help or if they're being a straight-up :censored2:.

Last edited by a moderator: