Supervisors "stealing" employees time?

Ashley22

Start time was at 12:45, I was there on time but my supervisors didn't assign me work until 12:53. I look at the schedule and they put my time down as 1:00. They had more staffing than usual so he tried to shave fifteen minutes off of my time. And work 7 free minutes.

Time is money!!
I asked them about it at the end of the day, they said because I wasn't working (while waiting to be assigned..), they didn't have to pay me. However, they agreed they'd give me my time back BUT only this time.

I talked to a union steward. He said management needs to give 24 hour notice to change my start time. He also said my supervisor should have known better. Union steward said he'd talk to the sups about it.

I saw about 3 other people with delayed start times as well, I wonder if my sup changed them, or is just going to take advantage of them. Maybe I should just mind my own bizz

over9five

Staff member
Nice job sticking up for yourself. They just can't do that (but they will, cuz some people will let themselves be walked all over). He should know not to do it to you again, cuz you called him out on it.
​Again, nice job!

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Start time was at 12:45, I was there on time but my supervisors didn't assign me work until 12:53. I look at the schedule and they put my time down as 1:00. They had more staffing than usual so he tried to shave fifteen minutes off of my time. And work 7 free minutes.

Time is money!!
I asked them about it at the end of the day, they said because I wasn't working (while waiting to be assigned..), they didn't have to pay me. However, they agreed they'd give me my time back BUT only this time.

I talked to a union steward. He said management needs to give 24 hour notice to change my start time. He also said my supervisor should have known better. Union steward said he'd talk to the sups about it.

I saw about 3 other people with delayed start times as well, I wonder if my sup changed them, or is just going to take advantage of them. Maybe I should just mind my own bizz

Don't mind your own business, it's your business. You did the right thing. You did what many men (grown men) at UPS are scared to. do. Most part time supervisors are very corrupt and will do anything to make themselves look good to their center manager or dm. I remember on the 4th of July my pt sup text me and told me not to come in, I came in anyway. When I came in, she looks very mad, lol. I told her I want my 3/12 hours and she had to do it. I was the only unloader there that day, the rest of the cowards actually took her words seriously.

22.34life

if you work in the outbound your start time is not the sort start time.outbound starts 5 mins after sort start but they dont tell you that so they can get 5 mins for free from you.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
if you work in the outbound your start time is not the sort start time.outbound starts 5 mins after sort start but they dont tell you that so they can get 5 mins for free from you.

They actually do tell you your start time. It's posted by the end of your shift on the last workday of the week for the following week, and it cannot be changed without 24hrs notice. If your there on time you are to get paid for every second from your start time until the time you clock out at least 3 1/2 hours later.

grgrcr88

If you know employees are working off the clock it is your responsibility to do something about it. If they don't know any better tell them, if they don't stop tell the sup. If they still continue file a grievance for the time they worked. I promise you it will stop after that!!

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
They actually do tell you your start time. It's posted by the end of your shift on the last workday of the week for the following week, and it cannot be changed without 24hrs notice. If your there on time you are to get paid for every second from your start time until the time you clock out at least 3 1/2 hours later.

And also make sure no one with less seniority than you is working before you who you are eligible/qualified to do their job.

wilberforce15

You did the right thing standing up for yourself.

But beyond this, make sure they are not shaving minutes off the end of your shift either. Keep religious track of your hours, right down to the minute. Compare it to your paycheck. If it's off by any amount at all, ask to see your timecard for the previous week, and see if it matches.

It's amazing how much production can be helped by taking a few minutes from everyone. I have a feeling this is more common at UPS than many know.

If there is a problem, then from that point forward (and forevermore) take a picture of your clocking out time as you clock out (if you can).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You did the right thing standing up for yourself.

But beyond this, make sure they are not shaving minutes off the end of your shift either. Keep religious track of your hours, right down to the minute. Compare it to your paycheck. If it's off by any amount at all, ask to see your timecard for the previous week, and see if it matches.

It's amazing how much production can be helped by taking a few minutes from everyone. I have a feeling this is more common at UPS than many know.

If there is a problem, then from that point forward (and forevermore) take a picture of your clocking out time as you clock out (if you can).
It should be happening every where if the sup is following their training.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I've lost track of the number of FT supervisors & managers I've worked with who've removed time from timecards. We had one guy that we nicknamed "Doc" -- short for payroll doctor -- that would subjectively enter time cards every day & remove enough time so that the sort met whatever goal it was attempting to reach. LP came in & took statements, checked the logs, confronted him... then slapped him on the wrist (now, Dr. Timecard ... don't do it again - or else!). Any employee that confronted him he'd challenge with 'I saw you [insert excuse here, such as spending 3 minutes in the bathroom] - you don't get paid for that, and if you insist, I'll follow you around all day and the second I catch you sipping water or anything, I'll fire you for stealing time.' Literally, the guy was a :censored2: and despite a pile of grievances, phone calls, letters to the state, you name it... he remained here until he moved on.

Today, it's still common for a supervisor to tell (not ask, not seek volunteers) an employee in the Input to walk to the furthest line in the building to go load trucks -- about a 3-4 minute brisk walk. And guess what? They dock five minutes from the time card.

We also play the game in which start time is listed as 3:55AM, the computer will show 4:00 AM -- and it's locked, so you can't change it, we'll start at 3:55AM (as scheduled), then get paid from 4:00AM because opps, they forgot about it. For the 1,000th time, because they're so super busy that correcting 400 time cards that just so happened to push their production into bonus territory slips their mind, right?

<sigh> Best advise is to keep track of your hours, each and every day.

anonymous4

There are phone apps that allow you to input clock in/out times and log your hours worked. I don't know one person who hasn't had time card issues if they have been there for any real period of time.

22.34life

you don't get it do u.the "sort start time" is posted not every single persons start time.so if a guy asks his sup what's the start time tomorrow and sup says 12:45 and the sort starts at that time then he has told u the truth.he just forgets to tell u that you don't start until 5 mins after

22.34life

If you know employees are working off the clock it is your responsibility to do something about it. If they don't know any better tell them, if they don't stop tell the sup. If they still continue file a grievance for the time they worked. I promise you it will stop after that!!
I tell guys and have been telling guys for the last 15 years that they are working for free most respond with its just 5 minutes. And the rest are to dumb to read the time sheet anyways.u can't help the hopeless.

brostalss

Nothing new to see here people, keep moving.

Remember, it's all about the numbers.

"figures can lie and liars can figure" someone other than me said that.

grgrcr88

you don't get it do u.the "sort start time" is posted not every single persons start time.so if a guy asks his sup what's the start time tomorrow and sup says 12:45 and the sort starts at that time then he has told u the truth.he just forgets to tell u that you don't start until 5 mins after

Oh I get it... your allowing them to take advantage of you and everyone in the building then coming on the internet and acting all badass!!

Every employees start time is posted here individually. If that is not the case in your building then every employees start time is whatever time is posted for the sort. If your not being paid that your being cheated and your allowing it!! File a grievance.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
All drivers who get harassed about numbers and skip there 10 minute breaks I am begging you. Don't steal time from yourself!!!!!It is worse than having a manager go into your time card and steal from you. Your doing the dirty work for them! Stop it!

blkmamba

As a former supervisor, I would like to say that it is much easier if you punch in/out. That allows them to make a 1sec deletion of incorrect start time and add correct start time. However, if you are writing your time down, you are essentially at the mercy of your supervisor who WILL shave time. A lot of time when my employees would leave they would put down their ten minute break and walk out and I would call them to let them know the next day that to receive the additional ten minutes they would have to stay. Just from experience their is a lot of dishonesty on both sides at the part time level. Easiest thing to do keep track, and let them know of a discrepancy when you clock in and if its not fixed file.