Supervisors Working During Peak Season

btrlov

Yes the bathroom issue is rampant. most employees abuse the hell out of it. I see them talking to coworkers, in the cafeteria, or sleeping in the lockeroom. You should file, but it is unlikely to change for several reason.
1st Supervisors working is built into the culture
2nd Supervisors are paid above market rates and UPS really wants us to earn that money
3rd Upper-management has set unrealistic goals that trickles down to supervisors placing themselves in situations in which they need to work.
4th Union protects ppl with poor work ethic, so supervisors must protect themselves from those types of employees by working
5th To some Union officials, UPS must hire enough ppl to do the work, even that amounts to hiring one person per box. Management must make a profit because that's what a business does. Supervisors working is a result of that conflict.
6th The breaks suck, the environment sucks, the pay sucks, part time hours sucks, so the union ppl abuse bathroom breaks,intentionally slows down work production, management retaliates by working
etc
etc
etc.................

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's the slippery slope issue. Again, I have not filed on sups working many times. Some were because some of my co-workers were being little brats over some issue and , in my opinion, slowed the sort down. I wouldn't admit it in an office as it wasn't anything I could prove. I was a gut feeling. On those occasions, and there were a few, I let sups work to catch us up. And, yes I was the steward. After work, I would have some choice words for said employees. It stopped after a while. It was a tough time at the center.

Now, they work to make the impossible number. I wouldn't tolerate that. We had a sup tell us once how stupid it was for us to let them work(yeah, right) because it affected our PPH. She was right. Sadly, she is gone.

Returntosender

IMO when the sup works that sup screws up the numbers. lets say fiscal quarter 4, 2012. On paper it shows 33 union employees sorted 19,000pcs in 4 hours daily . But actually their were 4 sups working everyday that don't show up on the daily report. In reality 37 people touching packages,but the report says 33. That just makes it harder cause come fiscal quarter 1 of 2013. Whoever is in charge at district level IE. Is going to say cut 1 or 2 employee from that sort. On district level IE report from the Package Division Manager for FQ 4. The sort did the job with 33 union employees at 19,000 pcs in 4 hours. See if you can do it with with 31. Now even more sups have to work to make the number, or they're going to push the employee even harder cause now the sort is down 1-2 employees. If I was filing I would want as much step 2 grievance paperwork just for my records, if the steward resolved the sup working at step 1. I would ask for grievance check, not added hours to total hours worked. I would keep that check as record. Incase they try some bull feces and say it's documented you can sort 700pph. I would show them my stacks of step 2 grievances/ checks to prove there numbers are wrong cause these sups are working screwing the numbers.

Has any other centers noticed every fiscal quarter the staffing gets thinner even though your packager center volume is the same or has grown, and the center injury frequency is up.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes the bathroom issue is rampant. most employees abuse the hell out of it. I see them talking to coworkers, in the cafeteria, or sleeping in the lockeroom. You should file, but it is unlikely to change for several reason.
1st Supervisors working is built into the culture
2nd Supervisors are paid above market rates and UPS really wants us to earn that money
3rd Upper-management has set unrealistic goals that trickles down to supervisors placing themselves in situations in which they need to work.
4th Union protects ppl with poor work ethic, so supervisors must protect themselves from those types of employees by working
5th To some Union officials, UPS must hire enough ppl to do the work, even that amounts to hiring one person per box. Management must make a profit because that's what a business does. Supervisors working is a result of that conflict.
6th The breaks suck, the environment sucks, the pay sucks, part time hours sucks, so the union ppl abuse bathroom breaks,intentionally slows down work production, management retaliates by working
etc
etc
etc.................

Excuses, excuses.
Supervisors working is our problem to deal with and making sure employees are working is managements.
If dealt with collectively in the manner Turdburgler is dealing with it, supervisors working would cease.
Stop making excuses and start doing your part.

Nimnim

The Nim
Excuses, excuses.
Supervisors working is our problem to deal with and making sure employees are working is managements.
If dealt with collectively in the manner Turdburgler is dealing with it, supervisors working would cease.
Stop making excuses and start doing your part.

Except their are union employees out there doing whatever they can to not work a fair day. My location has one that says he aims to only pick up one package ever 90 seconds. This is an irreg driver, and management expects us to have a pph in the high 30s low 40s from pickup in unload and dropoff in PD. I would not call that overwhelming. 1 package every 90 seconds is 40 in an hour, but this is just either picking up one package in the unload or dropping of one package in the load, meaning over the entire trip of say 40 packages it's taken 2 hours not counting the travel time around the building which can easily be another 30 minutes. This causes the rest of the people on staff to have to pick up the slack because it's not like in the load/unload/sort where a supervisor can sit in one spot and fill in for a short period, but a supervisor to cover this blatant sandbagging would have to grab equipment and travel the building.

I'm all for a fair days work and such, but there are people who abuse it, and it hurts their coworkers and it can hurt the customer who has paid for a service.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Except their are union employees out there doing whatever they can to not work a fair day. My location has one that says he aims to only pick up one package ever 90 seconds. This is an irreg driver, and management expects us to have a pph in the high 30s low 40s from pickup in unload and dropoff in PD. I would not call that overwhelming. 1 package every 90 seconds is 40 in an hour, but this is just either picking up one package in the unload or dropping of one package in the load, meaning over the entire trip of say 40 packages it's taken 2 hours not counting the travel time around the building which can easily be another 30 minutes. This causes the rest of the people on staff to have to pick up the slack because it's not like in the load/unload/sort where a supervisor can sit in one spot and fill in for a short period, but a supervisor to cover this blatant sandbagging would have to grab equipment and travel the building.

I'm all for a fair days work and such, but there are people who abuse it, and it hurts their coworkers and it can hurt the customer who has paid for a service.
Talk about abusing the 'fair day's work' thing. Have you ever listened to Tooner talk about her days on the road? Not saying it's right, but holy God man. They treat us like :censored2:.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

You may be hypnotized, or you aren't listening.
That is managements problem to deal with and supervisors working is not the answer, period.
I am expected to run scratch on my package car route every day and it never happens.
How is that hurting my coworkers?
Nobody has to pickup anybody elses slack, we simply work by the methods, by the hour and when the task is complete we go home.
Divorce yourself from their expectations and join me in the real world, where when supervisors work I get paid twice.

Last edited:

turdburglar

You aren't listening.
That is managements problem to deal with and supervisors working is not the answer, period.
You may be hypnotized.
Exactly. What is management paid for, if not to manage? At any rate, it is not like there are no bad apples in management (although there are, admittedly, some in the union as well). It is still not a problem that is solved by having supervisors work (it is probably exacerbated by having supervisors work).

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Talk about abusing the 'fair day's work' thing. Have you ever listened to Tooner talk about her days on the road? Not saying it's right, but holy God man. They treat us like :censored2:.

Yep for the 5th day in prob 2 weeks I've got 90 so stops on a route that can run 250-290 miles a day. Everyday I tell them ill be in around 9 everyday they look at me like WHAT. Today I'm finally getting help. Prob only be out til 8 today. Lol. I'm not even gonna start to talk about the routes pushing 300 stops. Ill take my 300 miles over that all day everyday. Even if it means dodging deer all night and praying I don't have to dodge bullets after dark.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yep for the 5th day in prob 2 weeks I've got 90 so stops on a route that can run 250-290 miles a day. Everyday I tell them ill be in around 9 everyday they look at me like WHAT. Today I'm finally getting help. Prob only be out til 8 today. Lol. I'm not even gonna start to talk about the routes pushing 300 stops. Ill take my 300 miles over that all day everyday. Even if it means dodging deer all night and praying I don't have to dodge bullets after dark.

I'm dodging deer all night long in Iowa.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Peak season is not an act of God.
I believe it is called "seasonal", not peak season. Christmas season is technically religious, and therefore construed as an Act of God.

I say that tongue-in-cheek, of course, but we all know some cringe-worthy management types probably think this way.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would have no problem with UPS management working IF :

(1) all union and seasonal hourlies are working
(2) UPS didn't work supervisors year round, circumventing the contract as often as possible

PoopDog

I don't know how it is at other hubs,but where I am,Anyone who files a grievance gets an automatic target on his back! If u do file,be ready to get screwed with,be sure you don't have any lateness or anything,walk the line really carefully or they will get you! A coworker won a grievance and got paid for it,then right in front of the union rep the manager said ,ok he wants file,i'm gonna "friend" with the whole department! And he did! But you can't prove it's retaliation? Here,pt supes constantly are sending ppl home and then doing the job themselves!! Not just during peak,all year long!!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I would have no problem with UPS management working IF :

(1) all union and seasonal hourlies are working
(2) UPS didn't work supervisors year round, circumventing the contract as often as possible

I'm always against management working. Why? It's against our contract. Never allow them to knowingly violate the contract.

brown_trousers

I never cared if I saw a supervisor working in December. At best, a grievance would only encourage UPS to hire a temp peak hire for one month and then kick them to the curb after Christmas.

We should do humanity a favor and let that supervisor work during December, thus saving that poor soul that UPS would hire for 1 month, and then terminate..... That poor guy that builds up all this hope of steady employment only to have his dream destroyed after Christmas.

packageguy

I file 12 months a year, If they hold us to the contract, I hold them to the contract. No mercy, I don't file meaningless grievance. If they are in the wrong they pay us....