Supes doing observations in Rental Cars

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This was mentioned in another thread and I witnessed it the other day. A Supe came to pick up a misload (great use of mgmnt) and he was driving a car with out of state plates. I said what's up with the ILL. plates and he said it's so drivers don't recognize us. As a shareholder I'm outraged. What is with this mgmnt obsession with being sneaky? What is the long term objective of this policy? When they observe you and they ask if you saw them (yes them, it sometimes takes 2 to accomplish this important function) they get all pumped up over their stealth. Give me a break. I love it when they don't find anything and they have to dig deep to come up with something. Rental Cars? Come on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This was mentioned in another thread and I witnessed it the other day. A Supe came to pick up a misload (great use of mgmnt) and he was driving a car with out of state plates. I said what's up with the ILL. plates and he said it's so drivers don't recognize us. As a shareholder I'm outraged. What is with this mgmnt obsession with being sneaky? What is the long term objective of this policy? When they observe you and they ask if you saw them (yes them, it sometimes takes 2 to accomplish this important function) they get all pumped up over their stealth. Give me a break. I love it when they don't find anything and they have to dig deep to come up with something. Rental Cars? Come on.

My on-car and his wife switched cars on a day that he was doing observations. When I got off road he reviewed his observation of me. I gave him a puzzled look and told him I didn't see him at all--he just smiled.

I agree that rental cars are over the top.

satellitedriver

My on-car and his wife switched cars on a day that he was doing observations. When I got off road he reviewed his observation of me. I gave him a puzzled look and told him I didn't see him at all--he just smiled.

I agree that rental cars are over the top.
You would have been in trouble if you did recognize his wife's car.:wink2:

tourists24

Yep... I am beginning to think that all of this cost cutting stuff is just a farce. For a while I was thinking all this was being done to cut costs to cut runs and beef up profits... Not so sure anymore

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Yes. Sups are doing rentals here also. They tried to say one of our drivers left key in truck. Our steward said it was his word vs. drivers. Now they ride with 2 liars in a rental-MORONS!!! Way to utilize the position. Don't forget! They get a bonus for every driver they catch.

grizbiker

Stops on car up. More hourly workers laid off. Managers get rentals to run mis-loads and do observations. We need to cut costs? My old on car sups maths was correct, 14 miles IS less than 9 miles. I love UPS math!!!!

I do my job as if the dm is in he jumper seat and the center manager and lp are following me around. It only takes a little while to get used to this concept but it's for your own good. This will set you free. You have to remember this is there company you just work there. Ups pays you 30buck an hour to work by there methods. This is a simple concept that once you get you set yourself free and enjoy your job just like me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I do my job as if the dm is in he jumper seat and the center manager and lp are following me around. It only takes a little while to get used to this concept but it's for your own good. This will set you free. You have to remember this is there company you just work there. Ups pays you 30buck an hour to work by there methods. This is a simple concept that once you get you set yourself free and enjoy your job just like me.

I have no problem with observations. I have a problem with paying for a rental car with my damn Turkey money! What's next. Renting hotel rooms on your area and buying binoculars? There comes a time when the cost outweighs the benefit.

tourists24

I have no problem with observations. I have a problem with paying for a rental car with my damn Turkey money! What's next. Renting hotel rooms on your area and buying binoculars? There comes a time when the cost outweighs the benefit.
it totally changes the appearances... I can see cutting costs by cutting routes. I dont agree but I can see the argument. How do you argue this? the rentals around here are big SUV's also... not cheap

Bro don't worry about all that mumbo jumbo just do there methods and you will be set free. You own some stock as do I but we arjust pawns in the game so let's play. Game on

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Bro don't worry about all that mumbo jumbo just do there methods and you will be set free. You own some stock as do I but we arjust pawns in the game so let's play. Game on

That's my point. I own stock and I consider this a waste of money. Wasted money hurts profits.

2years2go

\ Graduate member
UPS pays about 50 cents a mile to sups on their expense account. If a sup is going to put on 150 miles on an observation, it may be cheaper to rent a car with unlimited miles than to pay the expense account miles.

Often the finance department will provide a simple program where the management team can enter the estimated miles and rental cost and it will tell them if it's cheaper to rent a car or drive their own.

It becomes even a better deal if that rental is used by two sups (am, pm) in the same day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
UPS pays about 50 cents a mile to sups on their expense account. If a sup is going to put on 150 miles on an observation, it may be cheaper to rent a car with unlimited miles than to pay the expense account miles.

Often the finance department will provide a simple program where the management team can enter the estimated miles and rental cost and it will tell them if it's cheaper to rent a car or drive their own.

It becomes even a better deal if that rental is used by two sups (am, pm) in the same day.

Let them drive one of the old rattle trap pkg cars that are sitting in the yard. All you have to do is put gas in them. Never mind, then they would have to grab hand rails, not talk on their phone, etc.

alwaysoverallowed

Personally I don't care if my on-road or center manager is in a rental or even a helicopter; work as instructed (ie methods) and you have nothing to worry about. As 407 said it will take some getting use to but hey that's "their rules" play by them. You can't get disciplined for following methods but you can for cutting corners and trying to make your numbers' look good. I use to "do my best" and cut corners to make the numbers look good and it bit me in the :censored2: at the end of the day. Now when I look at my numbers on the paper I just make sure my hours worked is correct anything to the right is theirs; it was their money they used to make them up and print them out but it was my time they bought to produce them. I owe them nothing more then the time it takes to drive the box to it's destination, find it on the shelf, and take it to the address; friend the rest of the matrix.

code5

You like your overtime dont you? You make UPS your only priority in life too right? If thats what an employee wants at UPS then you will be at ease in this organization. Problem is, most people are not like that.

I don't really care if a supervisor follows me around, go ahead. I do proper methods as well. The thing is, the safest method is a fair days work for a fair days pay. A day shouldn't be up to 12 hours each day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Let me see if I get this straight.

We cant afford safe driving awards. We cant afford a Circle of Honor banquet. We cant afford turkeys. We cant afford to issue each driver an adequate number of quality, made-in-USA uniforms. We cant afford to take the time to fix long-standing issues with PAS or area trace. We cant afford to replace useless lap belts with 3-pointers in the older cars. We cant afford to staff the preload operation with enough manpower to reduce misloads........but we can afford to pay sups to drive around in rental cars to spy on drivers?????????????

We need to remember this in 2013 when the company tries to "cry poor" and claim that concessions or wage freezes are needed in the next contract.