Sure Post is killing driving jobs!

Notretiredyet

They had to expand the small sort in our building due to the volume from Surepost , the packages we deliver come our way when we have a delivery for that address on the same day. Surepost is a contract issue scheduled for talks in January, we've been counting the volume that goes to the post office for the last few weeks. It is a substantial amount, especially this time of year. I was one of those who route was cut when this and EDD was implemented, sure would love to go back to my old resi/strip mall route. This commercial route I've got now is gonna kill me, and haven't been able to finish the resi split they give me at least 3 times a week all peak.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's interesting you guys are saying all this because I can't tell you guys how many of these black labels end up BACK on my truck. If my peak route is 265 stops, at least 80 are stuff given back from the PO.

Are they "given" back from the PO or never given to the PO to begin with?

It is my understanding that these packages are the result of filtering technology implemented by UPS at the behest/insistence of the Union to try and get these "density" stops back on the UPS driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The way it was explained to us was if a consignee had a non-Surepost in the system it would divert any Surepost packages also in the system to be delivered directly to the consignee. It is also supposed to divert Surepost packages if the consignee has 3 or more regardless if they have any non-Surepost. It is not supposed to divert single Surepost packages but on occasion it does.

Justaname

The way it was explained to us was if a consignee had a non-Surepost in the system it would divert any Surepost packages also in the system to be delivered directly to the consignee. It is also supposed to divert Surepost packages if the consignee has 3 or more regardless if they have any non-Surepost. It is not supposed to divert single Surepost packages but on occasion it does.
I had a single sure post today, but I figured it was because both neighbors had a stop as well.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is not supposed to divert single Surepost packages but on occasion it does.

I could have mis-heard but I think it also looks at adjacent addresses in the trace and if the "stop density" supports the trigger in the algorithm, it will also route that package to the UPS driver.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The way it was explained to us was if a consignee had a non-Surepost in the system it would divert any Surepost packages also in the system to be delivered directly to the consignee. It is also supposed to divert Surepost packages if the consignee has 2 or more regardless if they have any non-Surepost. Or if you have any deliveries on the same road or within a mile. It is not supposed to divert single Surepost packages but on occasion it does. Only because one is forecast within the above parameters but does not show up.

Okay?

cino321

Our customer is the shipper but I agree with you.
I hate to see an e-mail for something I ordered with a Surepost service level.
That is why I am a Prime Amazon member and order probably 90% through Amazon.

It's cool they're experimenting with the Post Office and FedEx too. If you don't believe me ask someone in BD.

worldwide

I was at our local Post Office branch Monday to pick up a certified letter. The clerk and I started talking about SurePost---she told me that they absolutely hate it. They are not equipped to deal with it and would much rather we keep our own work.

The USPS is losing billions each year and trying to stay relevant and wants more package volume and yet their employees "hate it" and would rather this work not come to them. Progressive thinkers at the USPS-they want job security but without the work. Nice gig if you can keep the scam going...

What'dyabringmetoday???

It is my understanding that these packages are the result of filtering technology implemented by UPS at the behest/insistence of the Union to try and get these "density" stops back on the UPS driver.
Seems that if the "behest/insistence" of the Union came into play, there would be no surepost at all. Anybody ever wonder about how the customer feels about all their boxes being left out in the rain by the mailman? First thing they see on the label is UPS. Automatically our fault. I am sure nobody has complained to UPS about these poor deliveries. I am sure UPS would never quietly try to switch things around so the boxes are being delivered by drivers that are trained how to properly driver release said boxes. No, it can only be that Union said they have to give a few boxes back to us poor drivers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Seems that if the "behest/insistence" of the Union came into play, there would be no surepost at all. Anybody ever wonder about how the customer feels about all their boxes being left out in the rain by the mailman? First thing they see on the label is UPS. Automatically our fault. I am sure nobody has complained to UPS about these poor deliveries. I am sure UPS would never quietly try to switch things around so the boxes are being delivered by drivers that are trained how to properly driver release said boxes. No, it can only be that Union said they have to give a few boxes back to us poor drivers.

Bless your heart you poor driver.

Again so smart they r stupid bean counters trying another way to make an extra nickel and screw the customer at the same time!!! and as an added bonus screw a Teamster out of a job!!!

browned out

If UPS drivers delivered these surepost packages; it would tighten up routes resulting in more stops per hour and increased revenue. Resis would be have higher margins. Customers would be happier to get their packages earlier than FedEx or contractor smartpost packages.

CharleyHustle

The USPS is losing billions each year and trying to stay relevant and wants more package volume and yet their employees "hate it" and would rather this work not come to them. Progressive thinkers at the USPS-they want job security but without the work. Nice gig if you can keep the scam going...

My question would be, is the USPS making any money on Surepost and Smartpost? If not, are they going to raise the price for the service? If so, can UPS or FedEx launch a lower priced alternative?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My question would be, is the USPS making any money on Surepost and Smartpost? If not, are they going to raise the price for the service? If so, can UPS or FedEx launch a lower priced alternative?

Yes, the USPS is making money off of both products. UPS offers SurePost as way to save money, especially on "chasers". Offering our own lower priced alternative could/would result in higher prices for our other products in order to subsidize the new product, which would barely break even, if not lose money.

barnyard

KTM rider
My question would be, is the USPS making any money on Surepost and Smartpost?

It would be almost impossible to tell if they are losing or making money on the services. USPS pitched it as "we go to every address, every day."

The gripe I hear most from the USPS is that they were not expecting the larger sizes. I believe that they were under the impression that the majority would be shoebox size and smaller. I regularly see rural route mail people leaving with their trunk lid bungied so that they could carry all the parcels.