Surepost Changes

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Could it be that UPS Corporate does monitor this forum? Our PDS outlined upcoming changes to Surepost that were suggested by one of our members on a thread a while ago. The changes, which will be outlined in DIAD training next week, should help to provide better service for our more frequent residential consignees. The first change works like this---if the consignee has a non-Surepost package in EDD and a Surepost package is scanned the system will divert the package from the Post Office to be delivered directly to the consignee. The second change works like this---if a consignee has 2 or more Surepost packages those packages will be diverted from the Post Office, loaded in to EDD and delivered directly to the consignee. There was not enough time to go over all of the details---these will be covered in the training---but it does sound as though we will be getting back some of the volume we have lost to the Post Office. I will be curious to see if there will be a corresponding revenue recovery for those Surepost packages that we deliver.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Could it be that UPS Corporate does monitor this forum? Our PDS outlined upcoming changes to Surepost that were suggested by one of our members on a thread a while ago. The changes, which will be outlined in DIAD training next week, should help to provide better service for our more frequent residential consignees. The first change works like this---if the consignee has a non-Surepost package in EDD and a Surepost package is scanned the system will divert the package from the Post Office to be delivered directly to the consignee. The second change works like this---if a consignee has 2 or more Surepost packages those packages will be diverted from the Post Office, loaded in to EDD and delivered directly to the consignee. There was not enough time to go over all of the details---these will be covered in the training---but it does sound as though we will be getting back some of the volume we have lost to the Post Office. I will be curious to see if there will be a corresponding revenue recovery for those Surepost packages that we deliver.

I remember this enhancement in the prioritization process in January 2010 or so.
Backend systems were changed earlier but the DIAD cycle is at least 18 months in advance of implementation.
This is to come out in the October release of DIAD software?

UPSGUY72

We got this speech Tuesday from are center manager. As my SUP said the system can't get the package forecast right for any giving day this isn't going to work to well until they update the package computer system..

But I'm all for it.

stoni24

That's not even possible.... Let's say a sure post is scanned, bagged and loaded on car at 5am, then a residential ground is scanned at 7am. Then what? Also no way to hold all those residential's in decap Mountain of boxes.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's not even possible.... Let's say a sure post is scanned, bagged and loaded on car at 5am, then a residential ground is scanned at 7am. Then what? Also no way to hold all those residential's in decap Mountain of boxes.....

In my center the Post Office bags are the last thing to come down the belt.

UPSGUY72

Each building should already have a package forecast of what packages are going to be at each building on any given day before the package even get to the building. The system should be able to to determine what address we are going to and what sure post package are going to the same address before any package get unloaded from a trailer.

That's how it suppose to work. As I said before they can't get the package forecast right on any given day untill they fix that problem things are not going to be perfect.

stoni24

In my center sure post is cleaned up through out my preload shift. Yes,mostly at end of shift but also anytime there's a gap in the belt

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Wow here comes the OT then because we don't have enough drivers to handle the volume. As we all know it's the same people every day most either have more than one sure post package or already have a ground going to them.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The post office is get overwhelmed with sure post packages to the point that they are starting to lose money.

I deliver to some very small post offices. I had a bag of surepost today in a town of just a few hundred the post master was dumbfounded he kept asking why are they in a bag. This looks just like one of our bags. What's going on? Lol. I know the big towns get a lot of surepost but I think in the small towns is where you can really tell how big this is getting. Towns that use to get a handful of packages a week are now getting one or two bags full a day.

beentheredonethat

I doubt they monitor the forum. I mentioned this in the forum a long time ago. But prior to that I was talking with folks from TSG to IE, to PPM folks about this. It just makes sense and was the natural progression. Think of it, we don't pay the post office until they get and delivery the pkg. If we are already going to the stop, then we can deliver the same stop with one more pkg for virtually zero cost and not have to pay the USPS. The customer wins since they get their pkg a day earlier, UPS wins since we spend less money.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Not only do they monitor it, they watch each of your posts to try to figure out the next step for UPS. (lol)

iowa boy

There is another part of this that most haven't heard from yet. The rural post offices around where I live are going to be cutting back on their hours that they are open. Some are gonna be open only 2 hours a day, some 4, and some 6. If they are only open 2 or 4 hours in a day, we may not make service on those before they close. None of this is supposed to take place til after the first of the year, but every postal employee I have talked to lately is telling me pretty much the same thing, its just a matter of when.