Surgery and time off pay?

NC man

If you have surgery and will be out say four weeks do you have to use vacation time? Or can you do sick days and go short term disability til good to come back. Person at my station said they were told sick days then had to use vacation but I never did in couple instances.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If you have surgery and will be out say four weeks do you have to use vacation time? Or can you do sick days and go short term disability til good to come back. Person at my station said they were told sick days then had to use vacation but I never did in couple instances.
Looks like you already have your answer

NC man

When I was out for three months after surgery, they used my five sick days. Short term disability kicked in after that.
Was that recently ?mine was about 20 yrs ago

falcon back

Might want to ask a manager or HR. Nobody on here has the answer that matters the most.

Maui

Policy is that you have a 7 calendar day MAP period for any absence leave. Once that time is exhausted then if you move to a paid leave - WC, STD, LTD then you don't use any additional PTO.

There is confusion, I think, because if you don't transition to a paid leave then you use remaining PTO except one week of vacation. If you're PT then you don't have STD so you'd have to start using your other time. Or if you take leave to care for a family member.

In the stated instance if you've been FT for 6 months and otherwise qualify for STD then HCMP moves you to leave and you don't use more PTO. If you need help call or email your HCMP. Managers screw this up often and they don't get much training on it.

NC man

Got the lowdown, hurt on the job, sick days then short term, at home etc then sick days and vacation first. If u break your arm at home, make it work and lay down in parking lot,clock in first haha

Maui

Got the lowdown, hurt on the job, sick days then short term, at home etc then sick days and vacation first. If u break your arm at home, make it work and lay down in parking lot,clock in first haha
This is not correct. Even if you’re injured at home if you qualify for STD then you DO NOT use vacation unless you’ve exhausted MAP, personals and floaters.

Off the leash

Depends on your state. Some states have TDI or temporary disability insurance, which is taken out of your pay by the state. It used for exactly what your doing.

NC man

What is MAP? Been at Fed forever but forget all these acronyms,personal and FH pretty much same as vacay for this purpose

SmithBarney

I had recent surgery, only had to take sick days, then short term disability kicks in. Contact HCMP, they'll set you up with the proper paperwork. Dealing with the outside company for short term disability was a pain at first.

The only time you have to burn your vacation is for FMLA, some managers won't make you burn it, some will make you use all (but leave you one week, that's the policy)