Suspected Shadiness....

Undertow82

So I guess I’ll start with why I left UPS. I was a cover driver, was driving almost daily even though not being full time. Was praised for consistently working “under” on the route I was running. Was switched to learn a new route, and low and behold a lady says I backed into her car in her driveway. I was unaware of this, because it didn’t happen. Anyway, came to work one day and was told I didn’t report an accident. Was told by center manager that the lady had a video but he hasn’t seen it, Yada Yada, you either resign or you’re fired. The Union Rep I had in the office with me gave zero advice and literally said “I can’t advise you on what to do”. So I resigned, not knowing that I wouldn’t be able to take it to panel to get my job back. (Never worked for a Union) Center manager said he didn’t want to fire me, I was one of the best employees, blah blah all the things they say to make you feel better.

Ok, fast forward a year. I get an email saying jobs were available for preload, literally the day after a “full year” was up (I resigned on July 11th and received an email on the 12th last week) I applied, entered my social security number, work history, then was invited for a tour/interview. Show up today for interview, say hi to my old boss who was super friendly, and told me to wait in the personnel office with everyone else. So when I’m called to give my ID and authorize them to do a background check, it suddenly pops up and says “previous employment negative rehire status” and all that. So basically Hr guy says that the Center Manager is the only one who can change a status and he conveniently “stepped out”. So I left, no interview or anything “but I’ll leave this app and a note” for him. So from everything I’ve read and experienced at UPS, why was I even able to apply originally with my social and work history if I wasn’t eligible for rehire? They knew I worked for the company before when my social ran through, for the initial application. Kind of makes me feel like they changed my status or something in the hour it took for my name to be called back by the HR Rep. I mean get the situation, and would understand had I been told outright “hey we can’t hire you back for so and so reasons”, but why waste their time having me come in and start the process for apparently no reason? Sounds weird to me.....

Box Ox

Anyway, came to work one day and was told I didn’t report an accident. Was told by center manager that the lady had a video but he hasn’t seen it, Yada Yada, you either resign or you’re fired.

If the accident didn’t happen you should have said “Go ahead, make my day” to the firing and then gotten your job back with full back pay after no evidence of an accident could be produced.

Show up today for interview, say hi to my old boss who was super friendly, and told me to wait in the personnel office with everyone else.
So basically Hr guy says that the Center Manager is the only one who can change a status and he conveniently “stepped out”.

Don’t ever think being friendly with management will get you anywhere, or that it means anything. They’ll backstab you with a smile if it protects them. Not saying that as a criticism of them. That’s just how it is.

Undertow82

As stupid as this sounds, no I didn’t. I was under the impression I could fight it. I literally asked my rep before I signed the resignation if I was doing the right thing. That’s when I got “I can’t advise you on what to do”. When I talked to the head of the local is when I learned that. Which in turn is why I’ve nicked myself for a year, and of course, hoped to come back if possible. It just seems odd that I was even invited for the tour/interview....

Undertow82

If the accident didn’t happen you should have said “Go ahead, make my day” to the firing and then gotten your job back with full back pay after no evidence of an accident could be produced.

Don’t ever think being friendly with management will get you anywhere, or that it means anything. They’ll backstab you with a smile if it protects them. Not saying that as a criticism of them. That’s just how it is.
Trust me. I know how the management is. The whole point is why waste their time inviting me for the tour/interview if the “system” knew I wasn’t eligible?

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
So I guess I’ll start with why I left UPS. I was a cover driver, was driving almost daily even though not being full time. Was praised for consistently working “under” on the route I was running. Was switched to learn a new route, and low and behold a lady says I backed into her car in her driveway. I was unaware of this, because it didn’t happen. Anyway, came to work one day and was told I didn’t report an accident. Was told by center manager that the lady had a video but he hasn’t seen it, Yada Yada, you either resign or you’re fired. The Union Rep I had in the office with me gave zero advice and literally said “I can’t advise you on what to do”. So I resigned, not knowing that I wouldn’t be able to take it to panel to get my job back. (Never worked for a Union) Center manager said he didn’t want to fire me, I was one of the best employees, blah blah all the things they say to make you feel better.

Ok, fast forward a year. I get an email saying jobs were available for preload, literally the day after a “full year” was up (I resigned on July 11th and received an email on the 12th last week) I applied, entered my social security number, work history, then was invited for a tour/interview. Show up today for interview, say hi to my old boss who was super friendly, and told me to wait in the personnel office with everyone else. So when I’m called to give my ID and authorize them to do a background check, it suddenly pops up and says “previous employment negative rehire status” and all that. So basically Hr guy says that the Center Manager is the only one who can change a status and he conveniently “stepped out”. So I left, no interview or anything “but I’ll leave this app and a note” for him. So from everything I’ve read and experienced at UPS, why was I even able to apply originally with my social and work history if I wasn’t eligible for rehire? They knew I worked for the company before when my social ran through, for the initial application. Kind of makes me feel like they changed my status or something in the hour it took for my name to be called back by the HR Rep. I mean get the situation, and would understand had I been told outright “hey we can’t hire you back for so and so reasons”, but why waste their time having me come in and start the process for apparently no reason? Sounds weird to me.....
Lie.

Bonbon

Well behaved women rarely make history
Really? Lol. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that’s not the case.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you were just on some massive email list and they had no clue until you showed up that you had ever worked there before. I know you think you entering all your info on their "system" should have thrown up red flags but I think you'd be giving the "system" too much credit. From all the posts I've seen similar to yours the "system" obviously doesn't check to see if said person has worked there before. If you've worked at UPS before you gotta know that efficiency and common sense ways aren't much of a thing...

BrownThunder

That's crazy. If management accused me of backing into a car I would have been ALL for seeing the video or speaking with the woman.

You gotta stand up for yourself bro, damn.

CanOSup

One of them
This whole story sounds shady. No manager tries to fire someone without seeing that video, and someone innocent does not resign when being accused of wrongdoing

Undertow82

This whole story sounds shady. No manager tries to fire someone without seeing that video, and someone innocent does not resign when being accused of wrongdoing
That’s the story. Was told by center manager that the video had not been watched. The only evidence they had was a picture of a dent, and the line of me going up into the driveway, and how long the total “stop time” was. And as I explained before, I wasn’t fully aware of how the Union worked. Never worked for a Union in my life and had barely a year in. You can believe what you want, I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind, or garner sympathy because half was my own fault. I just don’t get the “system”. It is what it is.