Suspension for Attendance.

UpsAngel

Recently my full time sup informed me that i had excessive call in and i would be suspended sometime in July. I know i should be showing up for work but i really misunderstood sick days and occurrences i simply thought i has sick days to be paid out. Anyhow, my question is does the suspension get reduced to a warning or thrown out automatically after filing or is there a chance i will be suspended anyway. I spoke directly with BA and he said he probably can get it reduced but i did not like his reaction very much. Will my grievance go trough or is there chance of suspension. Looking for past experiences thanks in advance. :confused2:

in addition i have been working for ups for a year and half as a sorter.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Depends primarily on local practice.

Did you receive a warning letter? You generally have to receive a warning letter before the company can pursue a suspension, and you have to serve a suspension before the company can pursue a working termination (except in cases where someone no calls 3x in a row..)

UpsAngel

Well i have familiarized myself with discipline practice by reading past threads. I have received the initial verbal followed by 2 warnings and finally 1 day suspension.

UpsAngel

no as a matter of fact. I included that in my grievance. No steward was present and was already signed by Stewart when he briefly showed me the suspension then quickly told me to get back to work.

CHALLY9TX

They gave you 2 warning letters? They won't suspend you till July????
If I were you I wouldn't grieve it and I would start showing up to work.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BrownTexas

Not to be a dick, but I applaud management for actually taking action. We have way to make people at my center that show up half the year and then management just bitches about never having a full staff yet 100s of people on payroll.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well i have familiarized myself with discipline practice by reading past threads. I have received the initial verbal followed by 2 warnings and finally 1 day suspension.
Not for nothing....but how many warnings do you need? Go to work! You new guys get like what...2 or 3 paid sick days a year. How many days have you missed?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not to be a dick, but I applaud management for actually taking action. We have way to make people at my center that show up half the year and then management just bitches about never having a full staff yet 100s of people on payroll.
They're pretty on top of attendance in my building the last year or so.

UpsAngel

my mistake i meant to say October. I intended to just drop it and improve my attendance but my steward and BA recommend i file so when i go driving it would show that i grieved and somehow be in my favor; in his words "it shows you gave a damn". I do show up for work i have been having some medical issues that impeded me from showing up to work twice i called right before start time. since the suspension i have been showing up everyday 20 min before start time. i really don't want to lose my job. I was never written up for attendance before because i bust my ass and they saw it so i had some leniency with the center manager but recently i had to file a seniority grievance because they were putting me to unload while they replaced me with a new hire. Before i filed i confronted our center manager about it she simply told me if i didn't like it i could quit. long story short i plan to file grieve on anything i think is just and will continue to file a grievance on EVERY warning and suspension in the future.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
my mistake i meant to say October. I intended to just drop it and improve my attendance but my steward and BA recommend i file so when i go driving it would show that i grieved and somehow be in my favor; in his words "it shows you gave a damn". I do show up for work i have been having some medical issues that impeded me from showing up to work twice i called right before start time. since the suspension i have been showing up everyday 20 min before start time. i really don't want to lose my job. I was never written up for attendance before because i bust my ass and they saw it so i had some leniency with the center manager but recently i had to file a seniority grievance because they were putting me to unload while they replaced me with a new hire. Before i filed i confronted our center manager about it she simply told me if i didn't like it i could quit. long story short i plan to file grieve on anything i think is just and will continue to file a grievance on EVERY warning and suspension in the future.
So....did you provide a dr note for any of the days you called in? Calling right before start time is the equivalent of a no call/no show...we have to call at least an hour before.

UpsAngel

im fairly new and didn't not understand the sick day occurrences thin gi thought i had time to be paid out to be honest i think i mentioned this in my original post. im a hard worker i pretty much learned everything withing our hub from preload to scanner and in between.

UpsAngel

So....did you provide a dr note for any of the days you called in? Calling right before start time is the equivalent of a no call/no show...we have to call at least an hour before.

our center manager says their useless marks it as call in no exuse on her end anyway.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Disagree. It violates call-in procedure (1 hour before shift/sort/start time) but is infinitely better than a NCNS.
Yes...it's better but management considers it a NC/NS if its less than an hour before start time (barring some emergency like an accident on your way to work....which did happen to me once)....every center manager I've ever had has said this to us. I've never done it personally but that is what I was told.