Suspicious packages

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
Been seeing these articles lately, "driver stops suspicious package; stops nuclear war" kind of thing.

What exactly does a suspicious package look like? I've stopped a package that was delivered to an abandoned house once. But other than that, they all look the same to me. What do you guys look for? If at all

Re-Raise

I noticed some suspicions next day air packages going to a particular address from Texas.

I notified management.. they turned out to be birth certificates and social security cards of people in prison that were being sold to illegal immigrants in the town I delivered to.

The Secret Service got involved and I helped some with the investigation which led to a number of arrests. The Secret Service ended up giving me a plaque and UPS gave me a check for $1000

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
I noticed some suspicions next day air packages going to a particular address from Texas.

I notified management.. they turned out to be birth certificates and social security cards of people in prison that were being sold to illegal immigrants in the town I delivered to.

The Secret Service got involved and I helped some with the investigation which led to a number of arrests. The Secret Service ended up giving me a plaque and UPS gave me a check for $1000

Awesome! But how did you know it was suspicious?

Est.1998

Been seeing these articles lately, "driver stops suspicious package; stops nuclear war" kind of thing.

What exactly does a suspicious package look like? I've stopped a package that was delivered to an abandoned house once. But other than that, they all look the same to me. What do you guys look for? If at all
I deliver to this one house that gets a lot of cell phones and other electronics. The thing that seems suspicious and screams scammer is the address as well as the consignee name changes with every delivery.
For example: Monday the box will go to
John Doe
123h Maple St
Tues:
John Turner
123L Maple St
Weds:
Billl Thompson
123Q Maple St
The guy who lives there is from Africa and this has been going on for years.

barnyard

KTM rider
Envelopes with ASDs used to be the big tipoff. There used to be a sender of those scams from my route. She would send out 1000 or so NDAs at a time. Investigation started. She would not believe that she was part of a scam until we got the police involved. She was buying the addresses from a guy in Florida. Guy in Florida said that she would get triple her money back by filling out ASDs, printing checks and shipping them out. He provided the addresses and other info, she did the work. He would track them and when they showed delivered, he would call and explain a mistake and ask for money and all that blah, blah, blah.

All the investigative material from the local people was sent to a DA in Florida. Not sure where it went from there.

I had not thought of the ones that use apt. numbers for houses that are single dwellings. I have 2 addresses on my current route that get packages to different apartment numbers, but it is a single family house.

DriverNerd

I deliver to this one house that gets a lot of cell phones and other electronics. The thing that seems suspicious and screams scammer is the address as well as the consignee name changes with every delivery.
For example: Monday the box will go to
John Doe
123h Maple St
Tues:
John Turner
123L Maple St
Weds:
Billl Thompson
123Q Maple St
The guy who lives there is from Africa and this has been going on for years.

I had the same thing happen on my old route but with clothing from higher-end stores. Always a different persons name (Ted Johnson, Marie Peterson, Cindy Anderson, etc) and to the same section 8 apartment. Told security about it and didn't hear back. She was never home to accept so when access points come out I started sending everything there. Shortly after the boxes stopped arriving.

clean hairy

While assisting law enforcement in an investigation, you are to be paid for all time.
In the contract somewhere i believe.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I get paid to deliver, not play Sherlock Holmes. Meanwhile, UPS has no problems knowingly shipping tobacco products to high tax states like New York

Est.1998

I get paid to deliver, not play Sherlock Holmes. Meanwhile, UPS has no problems knowingly shipping tobacco products to high tax states like New York
That's exactly why i don't get involved.
If Pablo Escobar wants to ship cocaine using UPS as it's courier, it's not up to me to inspect the pkg and call the authorities about it. That should happen prior to it being loaded on the pkg car. If it makes it that far to where I'm delivering it, too late and congrats on your successful drug business.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I use to find weed all the time, does that count?
It's always fun when we find weed in the building.
Tons of times, the idiots don't even wrap it in anything. So. You can definitely smell it. We had an almost 50 lb box of the stuff come down last peak. Every single pothead in the unload was drooling all over outside of the center manager's office trying to get a look at it.

As per the customer counter guy, the shipper actually called in 2 days later wanting to know why it didn't get delivered... :lol:

JustDeliverIt

Tons of times, the idiots don't even wrap it in anything. So. You can definitely smell it. We had an almost 50 lb box of the stuff come down last peak. Every single pothead in the unload was drooling all over outside of the center manager's office trying to get a look at it.

As per the customer counter guy, the shipper actually called in 2 days later wanting to know why it didn't get delivered... :lol:

When I worked preload, local police would bring in dogs to go through the package cars every few months. We'd have the same few loaders always have to take their jackets and use the bathroom when they came down the boxline.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

A guy came up to me on a Friday asking if I had his package. He looked really sketchy. Looking at his phone I realized it didn’t make it to our building yet. The following Monday I get to my first stop, opened the bulkhead and all I could smell was weed. I found the box it was in. It was for the guy on Friday. My manager told me to deliver it. When I gave the box to the recipient I told him I was glad he was there because it had the back of my truck lit up. I also told him he might want to tell the shipper to wrap it better next time. Lol.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
A guy came up to me on a Friday asking if I had his package. He looked really sketchy. Looking at his phone I realized it didn’t make it to our building yet. The following Monday I get to my first stop, opened the bulkhead and all I could smell was weed. I found the box it was in. It was for the guy on Friday. My manager told me to deliver it. When I gave the box to the recipient I told him I was glad he was there because it had the back of my truck lit up. I also told him he might want to tell the shipper to wrap it better next time. Lol.
Non delivery missed (damaged) :wink-very: