Sweet Home Chicago!

rod

Retired 22 years
So the solution is to build some nice schools in the "bad" parts of town? I wonder how long a nice school would last before it was trashed and the good teachers were ran out because they were tired of being ignored ----at the very least.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://pagesix.com/2017/02/19/barac...billion/?_ga=1.71029520.1835036897.1487538549

The Barack Obama Presidential Center in Chicago could require a $1.5 billion endowment, its architects say, three times what was raised for the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas.
The Obama Center is due to be so expensive because it will require the construction of both a presidential library and a museum about the lives of Barack and Michelle Obama. And federal requirements now stipulate that former presidents must have larger endowments to pay for annual operating costs at the libraries.
Husband-and-wife architectural team Tod Williams and Billie Tsien noted that it will be difficult to raise such a huge sum because Obama scrupulously declined to do much fund-raising while he was still in office.
The actual buildings were slated to cost $200 million. “But I told them it will cost $300 million,” Williams said.

Funny place to build a library considering how little time he has spent there recently .

wkmac

http://pagesix.com/2017/02/19/barac...billion/?_ga=1.71029520.1835036897.1487538549

The Barack Obama Presidential Center in Chicago could require a $1.5 billion endowment, its architects say, three times what was raised for the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas.
The Obama Center is due to be so expensive because it will require the construction of both a presidential library and a museum about the lives of Barack and Michelle Obama. And federal requirements now stipulate that former presidents must have larger endowments to pay for annual operating costs at the libraries.
Husband-and-wife architectural team Tod Williams and Billie Tsien noted that it will be difficult to raise such a huge sum because Obama scrupulously declined to do much fund-raising while he was still in office.
The actual buildings were slated to cost $200 million. “But I told them it will cost $300 million,” Williams said.

Funny place to build a library considering how little time he has spent there recently .

WAIT! WHAT? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean the Obama Presidential Library is not going to be built in Nairobi or even Mecca?

Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
According to the newspaper I read today Chicago is even ahead of last years murder rate. That don't sound like a "great city" to me.

bbsam

Staff member
According to the newspaper I read today Chicago is even ahead of last years murder rate. That don't sound like a "great city" to me.
It don't, do it?

Chicago is part of America. When's the president gonna make it great again?

bbsam

Staff member
I honestly wouldn't have a clue how anything could stop the violence in that city. Do you have any ideas?
No. I think it's just something you learn to live with. Like hurricanes in Florida or yearly strains of influenza.

Fenris

I honestly wouldn't have a clue how anything could stop the violence in that city. Do you have any ideas?
Most are gang related and there is no quick and easy change. Educational and employment opportunities needs to be improved, which won't happen with the big government politicians that run Chicago. Legalizing drugs and other 'sins' that make the gangs their money would be the quickest way to make a big dent but that also wont happen.
And to disagree with bbsam, arming the victims would make a potential impact, albeit small due to the nature of the crimes.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Legalize the recreational drug industry.
It's a business, it might be underground and it might result in a lot of deaths, but it's a business none the less. Bring that business into the mainstream, regulate and police it, stop taking fathers away from their sons and daughters..... we might be able to move the goal posts and start changing things.

rod

Retired 22 years
Most are gang related and there is no quick and easy change. Educational and employment opportunities needs to be improved, which won't happen with the big government politicians that run Chicago. Legalizing drugs and other 'sins' that make the gangs their money would be the quickest way to make a big dent but that also wont happen.
And to disagree with bbsam, arming the victims would make a potential impact, albeit small due to the nature of the crimes.

Just my opinion but I don't think the gang bangers are at all interested in education or 9 to 5 jobs. I think it would be just flushing more money down the toilet.

bbsam

Staff member
You can disagree with me but check out who the victims were before you do.

bbsam

Staff member
Just my opinion but I don't think the gang bangers are at all interested in education or 9 to 5 jobs. I think it would be just flushing more money down the toilet.
Gotta think long term. Education and employment opportunities for the next generation of would-be gang bangers.