Sweet Irony: UPS Salespeople Take Note

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Today, a combination of resignations, suspensions, and decision days left our station unable to cover all routes. What a "sweet" payoff for treating employees like dirt, and do you think it's possible that a few customers noticed? None of the other local stations had any bodies to spare. Uh oh.

What "excellent" planning by our management team, on one hand asking us for positive ideas and attitudes, and on the other cracking-down on miniscule errors...to the point that they undid themselves completely.

What a great and wonderful company this is. After all, isn't that what they tell us each and every day? The meltdown has begun, and I'm sure my location isn't an isolated case. UPS will be happy to get the job done that we can no longer do.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Today, a combination of resignations, suspensions, and decision days left our station unable to cover all routes. What a "sweet" payoff for treating employees like dirt, and do you think it's possible that a few customers noticed? None of the other local stations had any bodies to spare. Uh oh.

What "excellent" planning by our management team, on one hand asking us for positive ideas and attitudes, and on the other cracking-down on miniscule errors...to the point that they undid themselves completely.

What a great and wonderful company this is. After all, isn't that what they tell us each and every day? The meltdown has begun, and I'm sure my location isn't an isolated case. UPS will be happy to get the job done that we can no longer do.

Thanks Fred!

gonzobean56

I feel where you are coming from! I gave them 17 years,got hurt on the job(back),had to have 3 different surgeries, and they were calling me while I was in the hospital wanting to know where certain stops were , but do you think they once asked how I was doing? NOT ONE SWINGING SOUL IN MGT CARED HOW I WAS DOING !!! Then they threw me away like a piece of trash and let their comp lawyers deal with it until I went on social security disability.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I feel where you are coming from! I gave them 17 years,got hurt on the job(back),had to have 3 different surgeries, and they were calling me while I was in the hospital wanting to know where certain stops were , but do you think they once asked how I was doing? NOT ONE SWINGING SOUL IN MGT CARED HOW I WAS DOING !!! Then they threw me away like a piece of trash and let their comp lawyers deal with it until I went on social security disability.

Please tell your whole story because it sounds like the typical way FedEx treats an employee when they get injured....as completely disposable. One day you're an "indispensable asset" and then when you get hurt, you become the enemy. It's amazing what FedEx gets away with, and then there are still the morons who think "FedEx Cares". Thanks for the reality check, and you suck-ups out there need to believe what gonzobean56 says is true.

quadro

Please tell your whole story because it sounds like the typical way FedEx treats an employee when they get injured....as completely disposable. One day you're an "indispensable asset" and then when you get hurt, you become the enemy. It's amazing what FedEx gets away with, and then there are still the morons who think "FedEx Cares". Thanks for the reality check, and you suck-ups out there need to believe what gonzobean56 says is true.
MrFedEx you are undermining your own credibility. People post credible facts that support FedEx and you call them names, dismiss them, etc, etc. Someone comes on here and by their 2nd post have presented something with no factual evidence and you are telling people to believe it just because you say they should. IMHO that casts doubt on a lot of what you say.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MrFedEx you are undermining your own credibility. People post credible facts that support FedEx and you call them names, dismiss them, etc, etc. Someone comes on here and by their 2nd post have presented something with no factual evidence and you are telling people to believe it just because you say they should. IMHO that casts doubt on a lot of what you say.

Sorry, but his experience parallels that of many people I know, myself included. Get hurt, and you are a target for termination. It's that simple.

quadro

Sorry, but his experience parallels that of many people I know, myself included. Get hurt, and you are a target for termination. It's that simple.
I would venture a guess that neither one of us truly has enough data points to confirm or deny this. I've been hurt and I know people who have been hurt but my experience does not parallel yours. Doesn't mean that your wrong and I'm right, just means we've had different experiences. What it does most likely mean is that it certainly has happened but that doesn't necessarily make it the norm. I'm not naive enough to think that it hasn't happened but in a company this size we would be naive to think that every decision, every circumstance, every outcome, etc is going to be perfect.

Having said that, there's still no credibility to the post you are asking us to take as gospel.

vantexan

I would venture a guess that neither one of us truly has enough data points to confirm or deny this. I've been hurt and I know people who have been hurt but my experience does not parallel yours. Doesn't mean that your wrong and I'm right, just means we've had different experiences. What it does most likely mean is that it certainly has happened but that doesn't necessarily make it the norm. I'm not naive enough to think that it hasn't happened but in a company this size we would be naive to think that every decision, every circumstance, every outcome, etc is going to be perfect.

Having said that, there's still no credibility to the post you are asking us to take as gospel.

And yet if someone posts their experiences that cast negative light on FedEx you'll try to turn their post around to shift blame, accuse them of "blind hatred"etc. Which casts doubt on whether you are truly an employee, not a company operative trying to marginalize dissent. And when called on it will say, more or less, "Who, ME?"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Sorry again, but it is the norm. Once you are hurt, you become a liability in the eyes of FedEx and completely disposable. The company that "cares" so much immediately shifts into the 90 days and you're gone mode. As always, you're free to say that I'm lying, but I think most of us who have been around for awhile know the truth. If you're going to disagree, don't do it just to defend the company non-stop.

quadro

And yet if someone posts their experiences that cast negative light on FedEx you'll try to turn their post around to shift blame, accuse them of "blind hatred"etc. Which casts doubt on whether you are truly an employee, not a company operative trying to marginalize dissent. And when called on it will say, more or less, "Who, ME?"
I try to play devil's advocate and I will present facts and information to support that position. At the very least, I'll try to give someone food for thought. Blind hatred comes in when someone constantly and consistently posts negative comments without facts to back them up. Nice try though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I try to play devil's advocate and I will present facts and information to support that position. At the very least, I'll try to give someone food for thought. Blind hatred comes in when someone constantly and consistently posts negative comments without facts to back them up. Nice try though.

When FedEx posts facts and figures regarding their injury policy, I'll have facts. Until then, it's necessarily anecdotal. It's interesting that so many others have apparently experienced the same issues at FedEx...over and over again.Hmmm, wonder why that is? FedEx is excellent at portraying an image of being an absolutely, positively fair and honest employer, and lots of unthinking employees (and the general public) lap it up like a kitten does cream. Those of us on the inside know otherwise, as I suspect you do too. The "fact" that you consistently apologize for and defend FedEx without any concrete facts of your own indicate a corporate apologist, not a devil's advocate.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

You're one of "Fred's boys" and there's no doubt in my mind about that.

quadro

Sorry again, but it is the norm. Once you are hurt, you become a liability in the eyes of FedEx and completely disposable. The company that "cares" so much immediately shifts into the 90 days and you're gone mode. As always, you're free to say that I'm lying, but I think most of us who have been around for awhile know the truth. If you're going to disagree, don't do it just to defend the company non-stop.
You cannot possibly know that it is the norm, just as I cannot possibly know that it isn't. Neither of us have a large enough sample size. As I said, I've been hurt, on a couple of occasions actually, and that's not been my experience.

As for the 90 days, consider this. Our government (which certainly isn't the standard to judge by but it's what we have) enacted a law in 1993 giving many employees 84 days of job protection. FedEx has had 90 days of protection for as long as I can remember. Often those 90 days turn into more than that because unless you know that someone is just not coming back, you cannot replace them until after 90 days. There's a minimum of 4 days lead time to post a position. The position is posted for a week and then there's another 30 days at least before the successful employee starts the new job. That's assuming an internal posting. So it's about another 41 days minimum. If the person on leave is expected back after say 100, 110, 120, even 150 days, there's not much point in hiring someone else. I have seen this happen on a number of occasions. Unlike you I am not going to claim it is the norm but it does make sense from both the employee's and FedEx's perspective.

The flip side of this is an employee who is out and there isn't a timeline for their return. At some point you may have to replace them. You cannot simply keep covering their job which for the sake of discussion is most likely a courier position. So when do you draw the line? Another thing to consider is if a station has less volume than the year before, which many have had the last couple of years, routes get cut. Do you tell someone who is ready, willing, able, and at work, sorry your route is cut and we don't have anything for you? Do you tell them this while they are asking about the route that's open because someone is out on disability and has been for four months with no return in sight. Is that the way to treat someone? There are always going to be decisions made and trade-offs happening that positively impact one employee while negatively impacting another. As long as the positives happen more often than the negatives, at least you are on the right track. Obviously if you are the one negatively impacted you would disagree but that doesn't make it the wrong decision. The flip side of this example is a station that has either gained volume or had some employees leave. As the station is most likely hiring somewhat regularly, there will likely be something for the employee to come back to when they can return to work.

I was trying to find out what UPS does as far as the 90 days thing goes. I couldn't find an answer but I did find out that if you are not eligible for FMLA (e.g. not enough hours worked), you only get 42 days of leave and only then after working at least 3 years at UPS. At least FedEx gives you the 90 days regardless of whether you qualify for FMLA or not. My point being there is no perfect solution that covers 100% of the people 100% of the time. It's easy for both of us to take our experiences and say "see what FedEx does" but the reality is that neither one of us is always right.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You cannot possibly know that it is the norm, just as I cannot possibly know that it isn't. Neither of us have a large enough sample size. As I said, I've been hurt, on a couple of occasions actually, and that's not been my experience.

As for the 90 days, consider this. Our government (which certainly isn't the standard to judge by but it's what we have) enacted a law in 1993 giving many employees 84 days of job protection. FedEx has had 90 days of protection for as long as I can remember. Often those 90 days turn into more than that because unless you know that someone is just not coming back, you cannot replace them until after 90 days. There's a minimum of 4 days lead time to post a position. The position is posted for a week and then there's another 30 days at least before the successful employee starts the new job. That's assuming an internal posting. So it's about another 41 days minimum. If the person on leave is expected back after say 100, 110, 120, even 150 days, there's not much point in hiring someone else. I have seen this happen on a number of occasions. Unlike you I am not going to claim it is the norm but it does make sense from both the employee's and FedEx's perspective.

The flip side of this is an employee who is out and there isn't a timeline for their return. At some point you may have to replace them. You cannot simply keep covering their job which for the sake of discussion is most likely a courier position. So when do you draw the line? Another thing to consider is if a station has less volume than the year before, which many have had the last couple of years, routes get cut. Do you tell someone who is ready, willing, able, and at work, sorry your route is cut and we don't have anything for you? Do you tell them this while they are asking about the route that's open because someone is out on disability and has been for four months with no return in sight. Is that the way to treat someone? There are always going to be decisions made and trade-offs happening that positively impact one employee while negatively impacting another. As long as the positives happen more often than the negatives, at least you are on the right track. Obviously if you are the one negatively impacted you would disagree but that doesn't make it the wrong decision. The flip side of this example is a station that has either gained volume or had some employees leave. As the station is most likely hiring somewhat regularly, there will likely be something for the employee to come back to when they can return to work.

I was trying to find out what UPS does as far as the 90 days thing goes. I couldn't find an answer but I did find out that if you are not eligible for FMLA (e.g. not enough hours worked), you only get 42 days of leave and only then after working at least 3 years at UPS. At least FedEx gives you the 90 days regardless of whether you qualify for FMLA or not. My point being there is no perfect solution that covers 100% of the people 100% of the time. It's easy for both of us to take our experiences and say "see what FedEx does" but the reality is that neither one of us is always right.

Fall-back, rationalize, and defend. A poor strategy.

quadro

When FedEx posts facts and figures regarding their injury policy, I'll have facts.
How insightful of you.
Until then, it's necessarily anecdotal. It's interesting that so many others have apparently experienced the same issues at FedEx...over and over again.Hmmm, wonder why that is?
So by your own admission, you don't know if it is the norm or not. It's not difficult to figure out why that is. It is because the majority of people here are here because they feel as you do so most examples given here support your position. Most people who don't agree with you aren't crazy like me and spend time posting here so you don't see many of positive outcomes.
FedEx is excellent at portraying an image of being an absolutely, positively fair and honest employer, and lots of unthinking employees (and the general public) lap it up like a kitten does cream. Those of us on the inside know otherwise, as I suspect you do too. The "fact" that you consistently apologize for and defend FedEx without any concrete facts of your own indicate a corporate apologist, not a devil's advocate.[/QUOTE]

quadro

Fall-back, rationalize, and defend. A poor strategy.
How is presenting facts and engaging in meaningful discussion a poor strategy? Oh you mean poor from your perspective of using irrational arguments and anecdotes as facts. I get it now.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How is presenting facts and engaging in meaningful discussion a poor strategy? Oh you mean poor from your perspective of using irrational arguments and anecdotes as facts. I get it now.

Whatever. So I can assume you're absolutely in agreement with everything FedEx says and does, right? That's extremely rational. My arguments are based on many years of experience working for FedEx and from the vast majority of employees I work with and have worked with over the years. Because I'm a 25 year+ employee and have worked at many locations, that's a large number. Sure, some people feel like you do, and I've never denied that.

Your methodology seems to always be the same. If I (or someone else) criticize FedEx or one of their policies, you are on here either defending it or attempting to rationalize it away. FedEx consistently represents itself as being a "different" company to work for, as in better than the rest, and one of America's Top 100 Employers. That's an outright lie, but FedEx is excellent at providing smokescreens and testimonials (like yours) that make it seeem like it isn't a lie. You are perpetuating a false image and living the lie every time you hop on here and defend the indefensible.

FedExer267

Don't forget to mention his tax dollars are going to Ground drivers to provide medical benefits and food stamps because this billion dollar company is to cheap and would rather push the cost of doing business off on Joe Blow. Top 100 Employers ya right just talk to any Ground driver oh never mind we are not Employees even though we dress like them. IMO FedEx is what is exactly wrong with America today no wonder our economy is in the crapper.