Swing Courier With DOT-CDL Haz Endorsement?

Express Courier

Was looking at this position. What is that exactly? I know the DOT Physical comes back into play but the CDL-Haz license thing.. Is that something you have to go to dmv for or is it some computer test at the station? I've never paid attention to what those swings are doing I guess lol. Also, aren't there stricter rules on your driving even outside of work? Maybe not, but that's what I thought I remembered.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Was looking at this position. What is that exactly? I know the DOT Physical comes back into play but the CDL-Haz license thing.. Is that something you have to go to dmv for or is it some computer test at the station? I've never paid attention to what those swings are doing I guess lol. Also, aren't there stricter rules on your driving even outside of work? Maybe not, but that's what I thought I remembered.

Yes, you have to go to the DMV for this. You will have to be fingerprinted also. FedEx is supposed to pay the difference between what a regular license costs and this. And yes, there are stricter rules with a CDL.

Express Courier

Yes, you have to go to the DMV for this. You will have to be fingerprinted also. FedEx is supposed to pay the difference between what a regular license costs and this. And yes, there are stricter rules with a CDL.

Are they going to let me do this dmv stuff on the clock if I were to do this? And are you saying I will have to pay for this CDL-Haz thing and FedEx pays me back? Seems weird.

whenIgetthere

I have gotten HAZ endorsements for my CDL in three states, all were computer tests at the DMV. Most states can supply you with the manual to study. The tests are pretty easy if you have read the manuals or have dealt with haz in the workplace. As for outside the workplace, I believe the blood alcohol level for DUI is lower for any level of CDL.

Express Courier

I remember feeling like a complete maroon taking those haz job aid things we take every so often on the computer in station. That's even with open book. Maybe the haz thing is not for me haha.

overflowed

Are they going to let me do this dmv stuff on the clock if I were to do this? And are you saying I will have to pay for this CDL-Haz thing and FedEx pays me back? Seems weird.
Yes, they will pay you on the clock to take it. They will however tell you to do it on your own time. This is work related so they are supposed to pay you for it.

pkg4me

You will have a Federal background check....which you will prob need to pay for up front and FedEx will cut you a check but I think it's around 90.00. Keep up with your time and mileage and receipts. If you don't already have your CDL, make sure you practice doing the pre-trip. It's the hardest part.

Express Courier

You will have a Federal background check....which you will prob need to pay for up front and FedEx will cut you a check but I think it's around 90.00. Keep up with your time and mileage and receipts. If you don't already have your CDL, make sure you practice doing the pre-trip. It's the hardest part.

You have to do all that just to carry haz once in a blue moon?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Unfortunately yes-If you're a swing it will be required because if you have to placard for yellow 3 radioactive which a lot of hospitals get.

I don't know what market you are in, but I've worked at numerous stations, and we always had plenty of HAZ. FedEx charges huge money to move some pretty nasty stuff (like Yellow 3 Radioactive), and they have some big accounts. By the way, don't take Radioactive lightly, and if you're in a location where they use film badges, I'd worry. Dangerous to be around.

Whats in the Box

Having a CDL-H is a requirement of being a swing position. If you allow the CDL to expire and you're still a swing, you'll be sent home without pay until the CDL is valid. This happened to 3 swings at my stations this past December.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Having a CDL is a requirement of being a swing position. If you allow the CDL to expire and you're still a swing, you'll be sent home without pay until the CDL is valid. This happened to 3 swings at my stations this past December.

Depends on the management. I was a swing for a year and my manager knew I didn't have a CDL. It was even a requirement in my offer letter. Nothing happened.

Express Courier

If you don't already have your CDL, make sure you practice doing the pre-trip. It's the hardest part.

The pre-trips I have done for years are pretty basic. Give it a general look-over, check tires, fluid, flashers, lights, mirrors and that's about it. What else are they looking for on the pre-trip test? (I guess horn, wipers and stuff like that)

I've heard you can do the CDL test in your own car if you want. lol I dunno if that's true.