Swing Driver Discipline

l22

Can a swing driver at Express be given warning letters/performance reminders solely based on low SPH, lates, gap reports, numbers? Is it possible for a swing driver to lose his or her position as a swing driver based solely on poor performance (not counting safety ie. accidents/occurances)? It seems the swings at my station just take their time and focus on safety (as they should) and still get to keep their jobs as swing drivers with low 'numbers.' I ask because I am considering taking a swing position which has recently come up where I am.

Fragiledonthrow

Can a swing driver at Express be given warning letters/performance reminders solely based on low SPH, lates, gap reports, numbers? Is it possible for a swing driver to lose his or her position as a swing driver based solely on poor performance (not counting safety ie. accidents/occurances)? It seems the swings at my station just take their time and focus on safety (as they should) and still get to keep their jobs as swing drivers with low 'numbers.' I ask because I am considering taking a swing position which has recently come up where I am.
I think they can be off the sph by a certain percentage..

Slick silver

U have to be really bad to lose ur job even as a swing driver at FedEx. I would recommend not becoming a swing though, if you are single maybe. Married I wouldn't do it. You are always a call off away from basically running a 12 hour day

l22

U have to be really bad to lose ur job even as a swing driver at FedEx. I would recommend not becoming a swing though, if you are single maybe. Married I wouldn't do it. You are always a call off away from basically running a 12 hour day

I'm currently single after a long divorce and am looking to make a little extra money. This is just a P/T Swing position though. But it would be a better schedule than what I have now.

outtatime

Do the routes to the best of your ability and safely and you'll be fine. Don't worry about the number/reports, that's your managers problem to worry about. Being a swing is not worth the extra $.80 or so an hour. If you need extra money just slow down a little every day and add an hour to each day.

Purplepackage

Don't worry about bull:censored2: reports just run the route and don't kill anyone.

Most swings kill the regular drivers numbers anyway

l22

Don't worry about bull:censored2: reports just run the route and don't kill anyone.

Most swings kill the regular drivers numbers anyway

I would only be concerned about potentially losing my position and being demoted to a handler. I know of one courier who was demoted but because of too many accidents, not lates, gaps, or SPH. I wouldn't care about being a swing because I have no real emotions to this work other than doing the job to the best of my ability. I'm good at staying cool under pressure

Purplepackage

Also if your coming from a long time of having a route swing driving isn't for you. Most Swings are purely production they don't care about the customers like a route driver would, they just want to run and go home

l22

Also if your coming from a long time of having a route swing driving isn't for you. Most Swings are purely production they don't care about the customers like a route driver would, they just want to run and go home

Haha that's exactly what I'm coming from. I've had only 1 route since I started a couple years ago and have only covered a few others - these really weren't very difficult with a map handy. I'm fine with something being late if it has to be, my main focus is safety.

Purplepackage

Haha that's exactly what I'm coming from. I've had only 1 route since I started a couple years ago and have only covered a few others - these really weren't very difficult with a map handy. I'm fine with something being late if it has to be, my main focus is safety.

When I was learning our rural routes they were all still RD maps after that I was pretty sure I could do anything lol

If your mind is made up you might as well go for it, they won't demote you

whenIgetthere

When I was learning our rural routes they were all still RD maps after that I was pretty sure I could do anything lol

If your mind is made up you might as well go for it, they won't demote you

It's tough enough for them to get swings, they aren't going to terminate a swing for low numbers.

outtatime

It's tough enough for them to get swings, they aren't going to terminate a swing for low numbers.
Exactly. The only way they can get swings now is an off the street new hire who doesn't know any better and just wants a $19 hr job. Trouble with that is most will quit within the first 3 months.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly. The only way they can get swings now is an off the street new hire who doesn't know any better and just wants a $19 hr job. Trouble with that is most will quit within the first 3 months.

Discipline is applied the same at every FedEx location, so you can be assured of fair treatment. If you have an issue, there is the GFT Process, which always treats the employee fairly.

And, yes, a swing off the street is probably one of the worst jobs a newbie can be assigned. I've seen quite a few leave within a week.

Last edited:

overflowed

Just take it if that's all your worried about. I know many long time swings that only stay swings because they aren't bothered by the normal courier bull:censored2:. Just remember, they only need the route covered so they can go home. They seriously don't care as long as you get it done without any major problems.