Swing driver

Scuderia1

I was hired for the section I live in but they decided to put me in a very different section where I am completely clueless about. I was told I would be a swing driver. Just wondering do swing drivers normally get full time hours or do they call you here and there?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends on your local. Here all of our cover drivers are full time. In other places they have temporary cover drivers which is here of there work.

PT Car Washer

Swing driver sounds like you will deliver or pick up anywhere in your centers area. Kind of like what I do PT for top driver pay. Okay, see where you are permanent FT cover driver. You will be trained to cover several FT routes for vacation or call ins.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I was hired for the section I live in but they decided to put me in a very different section where I am completely clueless about. I was told I would be a swing driver. Just wondering do swing drivers normally get full time hours or do they call you here and there?

Sent using BrownCafe App

No matter what you were told, you were not hired to do a specific area. Somebody probably had the idea to start you where you might know your way around.

Until you have enough seniority to bid a route, you will work where you are assigned.

JL 0513

OP, do you mean they switched you to a different center that's part of your local? That often happens.

I was shipped to a center 50 miles from home leaving the center that was 5 miles from home. My home center is the "seniority center" out of the 5 centers in my local so it often takes years to bid back into it.

As a driver, early on, you'll always be thrown into areas you're unfamiliar with. You'll learn lot of it. No need to worry about it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Swing driver sounds like you will deliver or pick up anywhere in your centers area. Kind of like what I do PT for top driver pay. Okay, see where you are permanent FT cover driver. You will be trained to cover several FT routes for vacation or call ins.

Replace this with "you will be sent out blind into many areas you've never been to and told good luck. Better get it all delivered."

JL 0513

At least today, we have the invaluable smart phone as a tool. Not saying to depend on it solely, but it can get you out of jams.

For those that only had a paper map years ago, that had to suck. I know a lot of guys still say to stick with paper, it's better... in some ways yes. But a live map shows you exactly where you are. Sometimes you can be looking at a paper map but if you have no point of reference other than driving until you find some signs that can be a pain and a time killer.

Outside of the efficiency of using turn by turn here or there, sometimes Google can be your friend. Sometimes you'll find you'll need business info. I've brought up company web sites for such info. Like looking up business hours for a misloaded package.

Tip: just like looking at your diad, only use walk time when using your phone for help. You can have a productive day even when you don't know an area.

wayfair

swollen member
At least today, we have the invaluable smart phone as a tool. Not saying to depend on it solely, but it can get you out of jams.

For those that only had a paper map years ago, that had to suck. I know a lot of guys still say to stick with paper, it's better... in some ways yes. But a live map shows you exactly where you are. Sometimes you can be looking at a paper map but if you have no point of reference other than driving until you find some signs that can be a pain and a time killer.

Outside of the efficiency of using turn by turn here or there, sometimes Google can be your friend. Sometimes you'll find you'll need business info. I've brought up company web sites for such info. Like looking up business hours for a misloaded package.

Tip: just like looking at your diad, only use walk time when using your phone for help. You can have a productive day even when you don't know an area.

did they give you that technology?????

Johney

Swing Driver=friend/T driver w/o his/her own rte. Makes top rate.
Cover Driver=P/T driver who covers vacations. Makes less but does same as thing swing driver.(mostly gets sent back to p/t job in summer)
That's how it is here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Swing Driver=friend/T driver w/o his/her own rte. Makes top rate.
Cover Driver=P/T driver who covers vacations. Makes less but does same as thing swing driver.(mostly gets sent back to p/t job in summer)
That's how it is here.

Swing drivers are called FT cover drivers here.

Cover drivers are called PT cover drivers here.

We also have casuals who work as needed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only problem I had with the maps was figuring out how to fold them after I was done.

did they give you that technology?????

Yawn.