Swing Driver

There is a swing position open at my station. I'm currently part time and not sure if I should bid on it. I've been told by other couriers it's better to stay part time because management has less control over me. Thoughts ?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There is a swing position open at my station. I'm currently part time and not sure if I should bid on it. I've been told by other couriers it's better to stay part time because management has less control over me. Thoughts ?
When you're a swing you don't have much of a life during the week and you're screwed over regularly. Figure out which is more important, money and stability of 35 hour minimum or having control over when you work and less money.

It's not a career, I'm currently receiving military retirement. I'm 50 and liking the opportunity to leave some days after P1 cycle but I'm torn because I'd like more consistent hours

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not a career, I'm currently receiving military retirement. I'm 50 and liking the opportunity to leave some days after P1 cycle but I'm torn because I'd like more consistent hours

As a vet I would like to thank you for your service.

Military pensions, especially for enlisted, are not enough to live on.

From what I have read, good swing drivers are a valuable part of the Express team and, with your military experience, you should have no problem meeting the demands of the position.

Go for it!

Thanks for your advice, I thank you for your service too. Your right, military pension is not enough to live on, I was concerned with all the negativity on this forum from swing drivers about wishing they hadn't taken the position.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks for your advice, I thank you for your service too. Your right, military pension is not enough to live on, I was concerned with all the negativity on this forum from swing drivers about wishing they hadn't taken the position.

Keep in mind that most of the negativity is from people half your age.

What branch of the service were you in? I was 8 years Air Force. My prior service was key in getting my job w/UPS as our DM at the time was also a vet.

MAKAVELI

As a vet I would like to thank you for your service.

Military pensions, especially for enlisted, are not enough to live on.

From what I have read, good swing drivers are a valuable part of the Express team and, with your military experience, you should have no problem meeting the demands of the position.

Go for it!
At 50 I'd say it's not worth the stress physically and mentally. As a part timer from what I've seen there is no real pressure to perform compared to a full time driver. Add in the stress of being thrown anywhere as a swing and the benefits of going full time quickly fade.

BootsOnTarmac

I'm not a courier, but have talked to many swing drivers since I have seen them when I leave the AM sort and again when I volunteer (Ahead) for the PM sort. My observations: If you are work available between 7A and 9P, and have no family obligations, kids, spouse or partner, etc., go for it. Otherwise it's not worth the extra pay of $50+ per week of regular full time.

!Retired!

Look around your station and see what the other swings go through. How many PM's, do they get screwed with PM's, etc... If you can make it working PT, I would stay there and bide your time until you have enough seniority to get a FT route....if that's what you want. If you're making close to FT hours as a PT'er, even more reason to stay PT.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Look around your station and see what the other swings go through. How many PM's, do they get screwed with PM's, etc... If you can make it working PT, I would stay there and bide your time until you have enough seniority to get a FT route....if that's what you want. If you're making close to FT hours as a PT'er, even more reason to stay PT.

Keep in mind that he is 50.

vantexan

Was a swing twice. You'd essentially be a human ping pong ball. You might run a rt that's easy one week then do the worst in the station the next. You might figure on doing a particular rt you know well, then be pulled off it to do one you don't know at all. And get dumped on by fellow couriers who know you aren't familiar with that rt's boundaries. If it's the quickest way into full-time and you really need the money then by all means. But if your station is busy enough you can usually find extra work making yourself available. If you're primarily doing deliveries now it's a whole new set of issues staying longer and doing pickups too. And with the new pay plan more money will eventually arrive.