Sylvania SilverStars

over9five

Staff member
My new Explorer has horrible high beams. Anyone ever replace their headlights and had improvement?

I'm thinking of getting a set of SilverStars, but there are other kinds too. Any suggestions?

UPSNewbie

I just replaced my head lights on my 02' friend-150 with them. They make night driving so much better. However I still have yet to re-adjust the 'focus,' so they're aimed just a hair too low.

over9five

Staff member
Glad to hear they work!

There's a debate going about these at another forum I visit. I'm kinda leaning towards the Sylvania Xtravisions now. Gotta try something!.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
unless you plan on purchasing lights every year i would buy something else
I have bought several for my suv and replace them every year because they burn so hot and burn out quickly.

I bought some hids for my car way more expensive like 300 but will last like 5000 hours. they have a ballast and different bulb will be 10 times brighter and last longer. just my experience

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I just adjusted my lights higher, so's I don't need high beams. If someone questions whether I have my high beams on, I simply say, that's the way it came from the factory. When I actually do use my high beams, they light everything up like an old drive in movie theater. j/k I didn't really do this.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Like i said, they work great but just get ready to replace them in a year because they burn really hot and dont last that long. Get your phone out and put it in the calander and let me know next year. :-)

over9five

Staff member
Get your phone out and put it in the calander and let me know next year. :-)

Ha! I'll try to do that!

To be honest, I'm kinda disappointed. Yes they are brighter, but not significantly. It is good to have improvement, but I was expecting more.

iowa boy

Ha! I'll try to do that!

To be honest, I'm kinda disappointed. Yes they are brighter, but not significantly. It is good to have improvement, but I was expecting more.
Two things over,

Make sure the headlights lenses are sparkling clean and make sure the headlights are not aimed too far ahead of the vehicle. I put them in both my trucks and found that if your headlights are dirty at all, they aren't as bright as they should be. And, since the lights shine farther down the road than regular halogens do, it may make the light seem a little dimmer than it is. I had to reaim one set of lights down toward the road a little bit to get the full effect of the brighter light.
Just a couple of suggestions for ya.

UPSNewbie

Two things over,

Make sure the headlights lenses are sparkling clean and make sure the headlights are not aimed too far ahead of the vehicle. I put them in both my trucks and found that if your headlights are dirty at all, they aren't as bright as they should be. And, since the lights shine farther down the road than regular halogens do, it may make the light seem a little dimmer than it is. I had to reaim one set of lights down toward the road a little bit to get the full effect of the brighter light.
Just a couple of suggestions for ya.

I had to re-aim one of mine. There was no way to get around the windshield washer tank... So I said to hell with it and pulled the whole light assembly out. :whiteflag:

haydendavid380

is property of UPS
Here's the difference it made for me. Left is Silverstar and right is stock

neonlights.jpg

over9five

Staff member
Like i said, they work great but just get ready to replace them in a year because they burn really hot and dont last that long. Get your phone out and put it in the calander and let me know next year. :-)

LOL! My phone alarm just went off, so it's been a year. They haven't burnt out yet. Does this mean time's running out?

I'll keep you updated!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Please do. I like these updates, just like the update I gave on the shoes I use. I think they are helpful. Maybe we should start a "products we like to use" thread?

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Heck no, i got some hid's, they were 200, but have a filiment inside that won't burn out for I think 5000 hrs. So this should be the last silver stars I will replace. Good Luck with them.