Take Charge Points on MYChoice Signups

'Lord Brown's bidding'

My customers have their "delivery estimate" window changed based on what split I have for the day. If anything it shows our inconsistency on the delivery side of our buisness. Every e signature I get has been for a no dr location, and it's somewhat hard to recommend a service to someone when you're knocking on thier door and hitting the truck by the time they answer it. I'm not sure what center you work out of where you have time to sell a service at residential stops, around here every second counts and someone's counting them.
Don't have to "sell the service" necessarily. As with sales leads, easiest thing is to listen to what people say. As I was delivering a pkg tonight, woman exclaimed, "Great! I've been waiting for this all day!" (It was a sig req'ed) I replied, "Funny you should say that-" and reached into the little pocket on the outside of the DIAD holder, and handed her a sticky paper UPS is providing in connection with this promo, with my driver referral code written on the bottom. Had a DR like this as well; took an additional 5 secs to slap the tag on the box, and I said a thing or two about it as I walked away; person thanked me.

I will not try to doggedly convince you, Jack Burton, or any other driver to do this. I am not a cheerleader, or a "Rah! Rah!" guy. "Everything is sunshine!" people can get under my skin, too. I do try to be positive, however, and try to find positive items to share, but I won't force it. I thought this was cool, and wanted to share with the rest who may not have known,and maybe give an idea of how this could work for us. (Incidentally, I did not know about the stickies UPS had printed in connection with the promo, however, I asked my center manager this morning had he heard about the program. He said he hadn't at first, but then mentioned he thought he had heard something and received some materials, leading me to the stickies. He said he'd look into the program some more, so I suppose a PCM is coming before the end of the week. Ironic how that worked out in my favor, I think...)

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
LOL @ you if you think you'll see anything from it. Some greedy screw in management will keep the incentives for themselves just like they do with sales leads, which is precisely why I don't turn them in.

When the sales people are ready to do my job, I'll go ahead and do theirs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No one is asking you to negotiate and close the deal----all we are asking is that you submit some basic information on any possibilites of securing additional volume. BD will take it from that point. Suppose you have 30 areas w/100 business stops on each---that is 3000 business stops----do you really think BD can look for sales opportunities at 3000 businesses on a daily basis?

S

serenity now

No one is asking you to negotiate and close the deal----all we are asking is that you submit some basic information on any possibilites of securing additional volume. BD will take it from that point. Suppose you have 30 areas w/100 business stops on each---that is 3000 business stops----do you really think BD can look for sales opportunities at 3000 businesses on a daily basis?

{ .......all we are asking is that you submit...... }

peculiar wording, Dave

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

No. Not with all the whitewater rafting trips and "team-building" activities they partake in.

Save it. I had a friend that worked in the sales department for years. The job, by that persons own admission, is a joke.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

LOL @ you if you think you'll see anything from it. Some greedy screw in management will keep the incentives for themselves just like they do with sales leads, which is precisely why I don't turn them in.

In eleven and half years I've earned maybe $340, but $300 of that came in the first two. I have probably submitted over 100 leads. I strike out-or in some cases am blocked by "teammates outta position"-way more than I hit, and I have yet to hit the shot the nets me free gas for year, as one driver in my previous center earned (he was on a heavy industrial route, always opportunities for "additional volume acquired"). Getting sales leads is my job, the same as delivering packages and working safe and making my pickups; it's what I am paid to do, like I do on the delivery side, although they find more ways to "tweak" numbers so we don't get bonus where we once did. This is real easy though, especially for drivers in non-dr areas (I am not, and very rarely have send-agains, but I'll give it my best).

Besides, I've come across BD people in browns riding with a supe delivering turkeys, or gifts, or something around the holidays. When I had my sales lead ride about a year ago and it came time for the residentials, A.Johnson ran my stops off like his sons who are trying to make NFL practice squads run the ball into the zone (an aside, I had NO IDEA how much those guys get paid, for PRACTICE squads). Best helper I ever had, and he was/is a "suit". We all get around.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Getting sales leads is my job, the same as delivering packages and working safe and making my pickups.

No AJ, getting sales leads is not your job and I can prove it.
I have never submitted a sales lead and I still work here, 27 years and counting.
It was your very mindset, disseminated by an over zealous Center Manager who proclaimed my turning in a sales lead to be a condition of employment, that made me this way.
I for one, will not allow them to dump any more in my lap than is contractually viable.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Got a sheet of stickers yesterday in the mail with my "secret special promo code" written on them. This is of course when I got home after a 11.5 hr day. If I need a kindle fire or IPad I'll just buy it with managements mistakes.

j4ck4zz

oops!
2013-06-06 14.17.31.jpg

Brokedownandbrown

I'm the uneducated, overpaid, time stealing box monkey, I'm not in sales, I believe I'm in the service sector. I no of no one that has requested this service.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

No AJ, getting sales leads is not your job and I can prove it.
I have never submitted a sales lead and I still work here, 27 years and counting.
It was your very mindset, disseminated by an over zealous Center Manager who proclaimed my turning in a sales lead to be a condition of employment, that made me this way.
I for one, will not allow them to dump any more in my lap than is contractually viable.

I always thought what ever management asked me to do in relation to my job-and this definitely relates-was my job, so long as they compensate me for it (that is, on the clock). "Work as directed", yes? It's nice, though, that there is additional material compensation involved in this particular directive.

I think many drivers don't turn in leads, despite it technically being part of the job (working as directed). However, there are far bigger fish to fry, with a more direct impact on operations-not to mention pursuing leads could slow down "the operation"-that, by and large, this doesn't really get much attention. The reason no one will be disciplined for this is: one, it has not been negotiated into the contract, and two: they discipline one they'd have to show they'll discipline all, and it isn't worth it. Far better to get us to realize it is not only part of our jobs but a beneficial one to both parties and do it ourselves, without force.

One question: if I could work your route, would you be upset if I turned in leads from the customers on your route?

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I also note a bit of hypocrisy in all this:

Many on here will be quick to point out how the actions-or lack thereof-of a member can affect the entire organization. So, my not working on the clock or skipping lunch should not just be viewed from how it impacts me, but everyone else as well, from the person's whose route I run (or may have to cover my route), to the driver-hopefuls who are hoping a demand for drivers would lead to them being promoted.

Does not a similar principal apply here?

I have probably passed out hundreds of these MyChoice stickers this week, and the thought occured to me: what if seventy people decide to start regularly asking for the two-hour delivery commits? Dispatch will know that morning this exists; are there any teeth to missing a MyChoice commitment (I already know the board prompts you when the commit approaches, similar to air commits)? If so, what change could be effected? It may take months for the full effect of every driver taking his hour lunch to be had; a very high demand of time-committed stops, not so much.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I am curious about something else:

If a consumer complains about the time you deliver their package ("Do you know how long I've been waiting for you?"), do you just blame UPS and their lack of hiring drivers? How does that help the consumer? What can they do about that, short of stop using UPS?

What about the customer who always ask, "Hey Mr. Brown! Got anything for me today?" Don't you hate that question? I do.

I was recommending MyChoice before this promo, before it was made "part of my job" by management making it a part of the sales lead program (saying that makes me realize perhaps the point of this promo is to get the drivers more involved by making it a part of the job, like sales leads are). I saw how it could benefit consumers, who in turn might ask for UPS vs FedEx or the USPS, who currently don't have anything that matches this, or is even close. I was just being a "good driver service provider" and help out, like I do when I re-attempt deliveries for people who aren't home, or come back to a pick-up that needed more time (or at least notify the center team, who can then dispatch another driver to pick up the extra pieces, usually the air guy...or send me, thus more OT!).