Take Charge Points on MYChoice Signups

40andOut

I also note a bit of hypocrisy in all this:

Many on here will be quick to point out how the actions-or lack thereof-of a member can affect the entire organization. So, my not working on the clock or skipping lunch should not just be viewed from how it impacts me, but everyone else as well, from the person's whose route I run (or may have to cover my route), to the driver-hopefuls who are hoping a demand for drivers would lead to them being promoted.

Does not a similar principal apply here?

AND

One question: if I could work your route, would you be upset if I turned in leads from the customers on your route?

Yes I would very much mind! Obviously you have never had your route messed up by an over-eager cut driver looking for sales points. Sales will call your customers and ask things like: Would you like us to pickup an hour later? Would bringing the packages downstairs help us to gain delivery volume etc. etc.

If you actually cared how your actions affected the regular driver you would not sell him out for a $5 sales lead that you may or may not get credit for. Talk about hypocrisy! Some of us like to see our families. Stop the BS about job security etc. We all know that overtime is coming out of our ears, and yet UPS won't create more routes.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Yes I would very much mind! Obviously you have never had your route messed up by an over-eager cut driver looking for sales points. Sales will call your customers and ask things like: Would you like us to pickup an hour later? Would bringing the packages downstairs help us to gain delivery volume etc. etc.

If you actually cared how your actions affected the regular driver you would not sell him out for a $5 sales lead that you may or may not get credit for. Talk about hypocrisy! Some of us like to see our families. Stop the BS about job security etc. We all know that overtime is coming out of our ears, and yet UPS won't create more routes.

So we-the drivers-are to be in the business of sabotaging our business? How in the world can you consider getting another company to ship with UPS "selling out" anyone who works for UPS? Come again?

If it would affect the driver currently doing that pickup, the center has the option to send a 2nd driver. There are two pickups on my route that receive this, and there were a couple more, but they recently downgraded their shipping with us, at least in this locale.

I like seeing my family, too, btw. And I do, and still care about growing the business on my route. Dodging work, yeah that's your business. Do you even realize what a 200-piece pu could do to your dispatch, and the STOPS that are taken off to accommodate that? The route I am on used to get only 60-70 stops per day, because it picked up like a 1000 pieces (envelopes, but even with the small piece allowance-). Dude, do you even understand our business?

Last edited:

40andOut

So we-the drivers-are to be in the business of sabotaging our business? Never said that. I am just not for over-eager cut drivers who have no idea how the particular route works suggesting unneeded service enhancements in order to pad their wallet and not having to deal with the consequences.

How in the world can you consider getting another company to ship with UPS "selling out" anyone who works for UPS? Come again?
Never said that. Not all sales leads actually "get another company to ship UPS".

If it would affect the driver currently doing that pickup, the center has the option to send a 2nd driver. There are two pickups on my route that receive this, and there were a couple more, but they recently downgraded their shipping with us, at least in this locale.
Then you work for an entirely different UPS than I work for. My center would never consider sending in a second driver for pickup unless I was blown out. BTW how do you think the 2nd driver would feel about being saddled with a late pickup commit because of a cut driver wanting to get an I-Pad?

I like seeing my family, too, btw. And I do, and still care about growing the business on my route. Dodging work, yeah that's your business.
Dodging work? NO. Keeping my route efficient? yes.
Do you even realize what a 200-piece pu could do to your dispatch, and the STOPS that are taken off to accommodate that? The route I am on used to get only 60-70 stops per day, because it picked up like a 1000 pieces (envelopes, but even with the small piece allowance-). Dude, do you even understand our business?
"Dude" I have worked 25 different routes, over 30 years, retail, residential, industrial parks, malls, inner city, suburban and rural. I understand how our business actually works (in reality). Knowing your customers business and servicing their actual needs is what is important, not offering unneeded services to other driver's customers in order to pad your wallet.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Dude, "knowing" your customers' needs-and especially servicing them-means always asking them what their needs are, and then doing something about it, which is the whole point of a sales lead. We should be doing this regardless of whether we get compensated with program points or t-shirts. I didn't ask if you have driven for a long time, I asked do you know what our business is? I don't think you do.

We don't "keep our routes efficient" by making sure businesses don't expand on our routes, or bury our heads so we don't know when they want to and offer to help. Reasoning like that leads to companies becoming obsolete and dying; customers leave, less business, cut routes, leading to more inefficiency. Grow the business, get more bus iness, make the areas tight and thick with our packages, and then adapt, or rather, get management to adapt to the needs. When I call management and let them know a pickup is still processing orders and may be a while, they tell me to keep going and then send another driver to pick them up later, based on the businesses closing time. That's taking care of the customer, not "It's 5:30 and you ain't wrapped? C'ya!"

Does your center manager care about 9.5s? Mines does, and goes out of his way to prevent them; he also understands that you don't turn away good business opportunities, and he for sure doesn't seem to care of the operational headaches he'd incur if a large business might want to plop down in his center's areas. My goodness, I really don't know what to make of this?! Why don't you move on? You obviously could care less about what you are doing! I do, which is why I was telling people about MyChoice even before the promotion, as I already stated up-thread.

In addition, I have my own route, and I take care of my customers as best I can. They know I care, despite there being days when I haven't run as well or efficiently as I could have or would like to. I care about my customers; when they "apologize" for blowing my truck out, I point out that's a good thing because they are busy; when they have a downtime I make less money, or could lose my job, which makes them chuckle because of the truth in that statement. They don't care how "efficient you are", but can you help them grow. I've always perceived that, and you-in your "25 years of driving all types of routes"-have not? Maybe you move around too much...

I hated covering other drivers' routes and hearing about the shoddy service provided so the driver could remain "efficient", i.e. get off and home as fast as possible, or customers kept in the dark for similar reasons. Do you not understand people will go someplace else if someone else speaks to their needs? How well can UPS speak to their needs if YOU, face of the company, don't want to do that part of your job! Forget sales leads, you've just basically stated you don't encourage your companies to ship with us because it may give you-and all your fellow UPS workers who already work a lot of OT-"more work"! What the hay?!?

You've let the bitterness in working in tough conditions obscure what we should be doing, sales lead or not. But you know what they say, "More happiness in giving than in receiving." Try giving your customers better service, i.e. more than what they are getting from you now-and that's growing their businesses, not just getting packages there on time-and see if the profuse thanks you will receive time and time again doesn't cheer you up. I've experienced that many times, not that I needed that from them to be who I am (which is why I could do that for them in the first place)!

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

How does one delete a post, outside of "editing" it away?

In any case, please let's stop using the phrase "I am a dishonest box monkey; a dumb truck driver" That stuff is going to ya'll heads!

'Lord Brown's bidding'

"Unneeded service enhancements?" The business ain't about A route, whether it is yours, mines, or anyone else's....And yes I most likely would "suffer the consequences" as I am often one who is out late anyway, and have been asked to get an OCA on someone elses's route because they've already went home. However, I ain't upset because the customer decided to ship with us, and not keep it simple. Good grief, man....

40andOut

APettyJ

​You make a great deal of incorrect assumptions. By the way, I have spent more years on one route than your entire UPS career.

Last edited by a moderator:

UPSGUY72

"Unneeded service enhancements?" The business ain't about A route, whether it is yours, mines, or anyone else's....And yes I most likely would "suffer the consequences" as I am often one who is out late anyway, and have been asked to get an OCA on someone elses's route because they've already went home. However, I ain't upset because the customer decided to ship with us, and not keep it simple. Good grief, man....

Still wet behind the ears I see.

They ain't service enhancement. They are gimmicks all to get more people to request UPS as a shipper.

The things that really are useful cost money. Example People aren't going pay to have there package rerouted. The smart people that want there package shipped to there office because no one will be home do it when they order the item.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

APettyJ

​You make a great deal of incorrect assumptions. By the way, I have spent more years on one route than your entire UPS career.

As do you, starting with, " Obviously you have never had your route messed up by an over-eager cut driver looking for sales points." Yes , I have....'cept I don't look at heavy pickups as a problem; it's OT, and it doesn't happen (that way) every day; tomorrow I can get off early, or the day after that.

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Still wet behind the ears I see.

They ain't service enhancement. They are gimmicks all to get more people to request UPS as a shipper.

The things that really are useful cost money. Example People aren't going pay to have there package rerouted. The smart people that want there package shipped to there office because no one will be home do it when they order the item.
He said "service enhancements", that wasn't my phrase!

As for paying to re-route a package, had a quick chat with a lady from Greensboro SC today who is up here for a little while who said she'd have done that very thing if she had known of the service; she had to come up here on very short notice. as it was, she had to pay for a replacement to be sent via EAM. that probably cost more than $5....

Every night i go to bed and wash myself of this day. I intentionally stay wet behind my ears, as best i can...

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

AJ, out of sheer curiosity, was/is your father a UPS driver? Perhaps in upstate New York somewhere?
My father is a letter carrier; he forbade me to follow in his footsteps and guided me to brown instead.....although I got your joke. Listening to some of the things ya'll face in your centers, I have wondered sometimes if I work in a BOG, then when another driver comes up to me fussing about some 'craziness' from our dispatcher, I realize, 'No, It's just me.."

Last edited:

NXA

Got a sheet of stickers yesterday in the mail with my "secret special promo code" written on them. This is of course when I got home after a 11.5 hr day. If I need a kindle fire or IPad I'll just buy it with managements mistakes.

I got the card, and the pamphlet of businesses I have no interest in, but I didn't get the stickers. How do I get some stickers? upsers.com doesn't have it (or I can't find it) and when I go to the mychoice website, I need a login. Then I call the number to get my password and the idiot computer asks for a 15-digit account number while the card they sent me has 16 digits.

So.... I'm an idiot. Can somebody point me in the right direction to get some stickers?

Lobofan5

Got a sheet of stickers yesterday in the mail with my "secret special promo code" written on them. This is of course when I got home after a 11.5 hr day. If I need a kindle fire or IPad I'll just buy it with managements mistakes.

I, on the other hand, am trying to get enough points to get my teenage an Ipad for her birthday and am actually kind of close to making the goal. If there is anyone reading this that would take the time to sign up and put my code in...I'd appriciate it. The program is free and UPS doesn't send you spam mail...but it is hard to convince people the importance of putting in the promotion code and I'm sure I've lost sign ups to that fact.

Anyway..if any of you want to help a partner out and sign up at ups.com/my choice and put my promotion code in "BBGB29BD4" during the registration process it would be much appriciated.

Please don't flame me for this! My kid wants an IPAD and I'm broke!!!