Taking It Back

vantexan

Yesterday at the morning meeting we were told that the mgrs had a conference call Thursday, and were told the company is hurting financially, that June and July's numbers weren't good. Said they were going to have to cut back where they could on the schedule, watch everything closely, and we needed to do everything possible to reduce costs. In light of the announcement last week about how profits were much better than expected I was surprised to hear this. I'm wondering if they are trying to figure how to get back as much as they can of the little bonus they just gave us.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I really don't believe much of what the managers say these days.

If the company is so concerned about costs, then don't pay lobbyists 11 million dollars in a years time, get rid of the overpaid deadweight at the top and quit spending money on Nascar racing and football.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yesterday at the morning meeting we were told that the mgrs had a conference call Thursday, and were told the company is hurting financially, that June and July's numbers weren't good. Said they were going to have to cut back where they could on the schedule, watch everything closely, and we needed to do everything possible to reduce costs. In light of the announcement last week about how profits were much better than expected I was surprised to hear this. I'm wondering if they are trying to figure how to get back as much as they can of the little bonus they just gave us.

A negotiating tactic. Whenever FedEx pays out, you can be assured that they will take it back by some other means.

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe Fdx is doing fine being propped up by Ground and Freight. May Expresses numbers are below par. Anyone have the break-down.

ex fed exer

first of all, at fed ex after good morning it's pretty much lies.

2nd, if the company needs to cut back start with Fred S. he can afford it if the company staops paying congress to screw the workers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
first of all, at fed ex after good morning it's pretty much lies.

2nd, if the company needs to cut back start with Fred S. he can afford it if the company staops paying congress to screw the workers.

Think about it. Right now, at most stations, there are a lot of people ready and just waiting for the chance to sign cards....they have had it with the lies and BS, and they absolutely know what Smith has been up to. Even if Fred keeps his RLA deal, nobody is buying the FedEx line of crap, and they're going to want more money and an end to the games regarding top-out and retirement. People are genuinely pissed, and starting to act-out, unless of course you work at LT FedExer's or FedExDriver's stations. Everyone is happy there and they just want that bad old union to go away so they can get back to ice cream cones and double rainbows every day.

The whole house of cards is coming down, and it's falling a lot quicker than the morons in Memphis think it is. I can hardly wait for more hype about how we're about to go under and cannot afford an extra penny of expense. Incidentally, I hear that there is a backlog of freight from Asia that both UPS and FedEx are cashing-in on because there is a big-time shortage of ocean container space coming out the Far East. Oops, you weren't supposed to know that. "We're melting!!, We're melting", Oh, What a world!!" According to Fred, the flying Communist Muslim space alien Teamster monkeys will be descending from the skies at any moment to take your jobs. Don't believe one effing word of their lies.

vantexan

Maybe Fdx is doing fine being propped up by Ground and Freight. May Expresses numbers are below par. Anyone have the break-down.

Actually according to the company the growth in profits this quarter is due to overseas shipments. That's Express. But according to our mgr we are really hurting. Not what they are telling Wall Street. Back in the 90's after we'd gone around 3 years without a raise Fred S told us in the Worldwide Update newsletter that if topped out employees were given a 2% raise it would cost the company $30 million a year, which he said they couldn't afford. About that same time FedEx announced for the first time they had netted a $250 million profit in one quarter.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually according to the company the growth in profits this quarter is due to overseas shipments. That's Express.

See my previous comment about a lack of ocean container space. Shippers are sending stuff by air because they have to, not because they want to. Check-out some of the low-grade shipments coming-in International. That type of stuff almost always goes by ship, and then by train to the destination city. FedEx is packing every single plane coming out of China to the max. Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

vantexan

See my previous comment about a lack of ocean container space. Shippers are sending stuff by air because they have to, not because they want to. Check-out some of the low-grade shipments coming-in International. That type of stuff almost always goes by ship, and then by train to the destination city. FedEx is packing every single plane coming out of China to the max. Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Sorry, you posted while I was editing mine. I wonder howl long a windfall like that can last?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry, you posted while I was editing mine. I wonder howl long a windfall like that can last?

I don't know. The container lines have been cutting back on sailings and the trade imbalance has a bunch of empty ocean containers over here when they are needed in Asia. Also, the container ships take an extra day over previous schedules in order to save fuel. Again, if Fred's lips are moving, he's lying.

LTFedExer

People are genuinely pissed, and starting to act-out, unless of course you work at LT FedExer's or FedExDriver's stations. Everyone is happy there and they just want that bad old union to go away so they can get back to ice cream cones and double rainbows every day.
Where did I say everyone in my station is happy? Where did I even say my station would stay non-union if a vote was taken now?

Again you put words in other peoples mouths. I speak for myself and myself only. I have never said or even assumed what would happen in my station if we voted today. I AM glad I don't work in your station. Sounds like you got the runt of the litter.

SmithBarney

I don't know. The container lines have been cutting back on sailings and the trade imbalance has a bunch of empty ocean containers over here when they are needed in Asia. Also, the container ships take an extra day over previous schedules in order to save fuel. Again, if Fred's lips are moving, he's lying.

Nothing new Container lines have had a major container imbalance for the last 20 years, because we import tons (or tonnes) more than we export..
Thus the reason you can buy a single trip container at port for $1000-$2000 Cause we have stacks and stacks of these things.
Its cheaper for them to build new ones in china, than it is to ship it back empty.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Nothing new Container lines have had a major container imbalance for the last 20 years, because we import tons (or tonnes) more than we export..
Thus the reason you can buy a single trip container at port for $1000-$2000 Cause we have stacks and stacks of these things.
Its cheaper for them to build new ones in china, than it is to ship it back empty.

Yes, but the lack of available space is the big issue. Low-value shipments that normally wouldn't go air are now onboard FedEx and UPS planes instead. Fred would prefer you to think that we are flying half-empty 777's and doing so at a loss. The poverty plea is falling on deaf ears these days. Most people know better than to believe anything that comes out of MEM.

Cactus

Yes, but the lack of available space is the big issue. Low-value shipments that normally wouldn't go air are now onboard FedEx and UPS planes instead. Fred would prefer you to think that we are flying half-empty 777's and doing so at a loss. The poverty plea is falling on deaf ears these days. Most people know better than to believe anything that comes out of MEM.

Remember if Fred's lips are moving, he's lying.

FedEx2000

The problem isn't the planes coming out of APAC, those are so full they leave freight on the ground everyday, it's the domestic flights that aren't filling up.....b/c couriers don't turn in sales leads like they used to, sales people only worry about large accounts/don't follow up on the leads that are turned in, and b/c Ground can get to most places in the lower 48 in 3 days for a fraction of the Express cost....in addition to the sluggish economy here.
And please don't tell me turning in sales leads isn't a courier's job, b/c it has been part of the courier's job for quite some time now, most just choose not to do so even though there are payouts for it.....all you have to do is ask if they would like someone from sales to contact them and see if we can offer better pricing and get a business card, doesn't take a lot of time.....$144K paid out in Q4 of FY'10, $670K for all of FY'10.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The problem isn't the planes coming out of APAC, those are so full they leave freight on the ground everyday, it's the domestic flights that aren't filling up.....b/c couriers don't turn in sales leads like they used to, sales people only worry about large accounts/don't follow up on the leads that are turned in, and b/c Ground can get to most places in the lower 48 in 3 days for a fraction of the Express cost....in addition to the sluggish economy here.
And please don't tell me turning in sales leads isn't a courier's job, b/c it has been part of the courier's job for quite some time now, most just choose not to do so even though there are payouts for it.....all you have to do is ask if they would like someone from sales to contact them and see if we can offer better pricing and get a business card, doesn't take a lot of time.....$144K paid out in Q4 of FY'10, $670K for all of FY'10.

Here's a wake-up call for you. Couriers don't turn-in sales leads because there isn't any benefit for doing so. In many cases, additional volumes just mean working harder. FedEx gets the revenue, and you get nothing but a puny payout. The current morale issue isn't helping either. At my ramp, they fill the planes up with Ground volume if there isn't enough Express freight.
No knock on you, because you seem like a good guy, but when is FedEx going to "get it" and see that they no longer have a motivated workforce? When you treat employees like crap, they no longer care very much, and that's exactly what is happening at FedEx.

Last edited:

Cactus

If they want us to turn in sales leads then they need to come up with a solid commission payout and not for the sales staff but to the courier who got the lead and has the daily customer contact. Any professional sales person would die laughing at what they wanna pay us. It's just more work for the compernsation equivalant of a hamburger and a small Coke.

FedExer267

The only drivers that turn in sales leads at Ground are the actual contractors. I get asked all the time why I dont and I tell my Contractor simple you don't pay me what I am worth now why would I want to work more and why should I pad your pocket and the sales guys pocket when I can't even get a paid vacation. My Contractor is so afraid of firing us because he dosen't want to pay unemployment I pretty much say whats on my mind. Now if he actually valued his employees a little more gave us bonuses or paid vacations I may sing a diffrent tune til then he will get what he pays for.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If they want us to turn in sales leads then they need to come up with a solid commission payout and not for the sales staff but to the courier who got the lead and has the daily customer contact. Any professional sales person would die laughing at what they wanna pay us. It's just more work for the compernsation equivalant of a hamburger and a small Coke.

Sales comes in about every other month with donuts, and then they walk along the belt pumping the couriers for leads. On our breakroom bulletin board is an incredibly lame display that looks like it belongs in a second grade classroom, with liitle pieces of paper with the names of the couriers who have the most leads turned-in. I think there are 4 names up there. What does that tell you about the participation level?