Taking your own package home

demetriddp

abomination of nature
Hey I'm a package handler and I was wondering if anyone knows if they mind when we find our own package and if we take it home? I could also take the barcode off and leave a note for the driver that he can scan it as delivered maybe?

Any info is appeciated, thanks.

JonFrum

Demetriddp, before you walk off with the package, have it delivery scanned by someone other than you, and tell a supervisor what you are doing. Otherwise a manager or supervisor who lacks common sense may try to fire you for theft.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Where I am, not only do we want the Driver to scan it, we also require that somebody in the Center's office has to write out a receipt to give to the guard as you leave the property.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Demetriddp, before you walk off with the package, have it delivery scanned by someone other than you, and tell a supervisor what you are doing. Otherwise a manager or supervisor who lacks common sense may try to fire you for theft.
And no truer words were ever spoken, been there seen that happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have several employees who live on my delivery route and they will ask me to look for their pkg(s). When I find them I will pull the PAL and give them their pkg in front of a supervisor. I will then Find BC when I get to within GPS range of their house so that I stay in trace and don't end up on some stupid report.

My son and I recently got new cell phones and they had to be signed for so I had them sent to me. I had them on the pkg car and called my son to have him come get his. I gave him his phone and then sheeted both pkgs when I went home for my break, again using the Find BC feature.

You should never simply take your pkg and walk out of the bldg w/o at least checking with a supervisor. It is most likely not a big deal but it is always better to be safe than unemployed.

CFLBrown

I have several employees who live on my delivery route and they will ask me to look for their pkg(s). When I find them I will pull the PAL and give them their pkg in front of a supervisor. I will then Find BC when I get to within GPS range of their house so that I stay in trace and don't end up on some stupid report.

My son and I recently got new cell phones and they had to be signed for so I had them sent to me. I had them on the pkg car and called my son to have him come get his. I gave him his phone and then sheeted both pkgs when I went home for my break, again using the Find BC feature.

You should never simply take your pkg and walk out of the bldg w/o at least checking with a supervisor. It is most likely not a big deal but it is always better to be safe than unemployed.

I'd scan the package in the building and have them sign for it. You did not deliver the package to their house on that day, you shouldn't treat it as such. If they come back to you with the 'stupid report' and ask why you broke trace, you'll show X packages delivered before you left the building. Not a big deal.

demetriddp

abomination of nature

The thing is I work from 11pm to 4am so there are no drivers there when I leave. Is there any other way for it to get delivery scanned? Anyway I'll ask my sup about it but I have a feeling he'll tell me I can't do it.

over9five

Staff member
I'd scan the package in the building and have them sign for it. You did not deliver the package to their house on that day, you shouldn't treat it as such. If they come back to you with the 'stupid report' and ask why you broke trace, you'll show X packages delivered before you left the building. Not a big deal.

I would also use this method.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I have picked up shipments when I went in to work, they told me to go to the area where it was and find someone to have me sign for it. When I drive feeders, I am not home for the signature and some of mine need it.

demetriddp

abomination of nature
What do you need at 4am? Why don't you just wait till it's delivered?

I guess cause i'm impatient and I usually sleep during the day so I'd rather get it as soon as possible. Also saves me trouble of worring about where people in this house put it after it gets delivered.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
couple of things

taking off the bar code for someone else to scan and deal with is never a good idea. basically you are walking out of a ups building with a package that does not show a delivery scan, which makes it stealing. period. you will be terminated, and maybe the union might be able to work out a deal to get your job back, but i would not bet on it.

much safer to get an oms to scan the thing, you sign for it then take it home. in a lot of centers, there are no security, but in those that have it, you will need a note saying you did sign for it to show security.

always better to ere on the side of caution. nothing worse to have suspicion cast on you, it causes a lot of issues that you dont need and want.

d

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
So you work night sort...if there are clerks on duty who have a board open, then they can sign it. The problem is, the will call boards can only be open for so long. It, for some reason, is considered another route. So, if there's no clerks there with a will call board, then your sol. I would say wait for it to get delivered, or show up just before the driver leaves and let the guy get a signature stop before he gets out the door.

LiL"Comet"

Deme when you know you have pkg coming in give the tracking # to oms clerk (if you have one) to put on hold for you (will/call). Then once you have tracked it seen it being held maybe you can see if your customer counter clerk will sign for it for you and give it to your sup. to secure in his/her office for you.

Not sure of your situation in center if you feel comfortable enough have your ecs clerk sign for it put in a location where you know it will be...
Cust. counter clerk sign for you (not your name but there's) put in oms office w/ note hold for _____.

Your supervisor should help you resolve this so you can get your pkg with no problems just be very safe about how you receive the pkg :peaceful:

rod

Retired 22 years
I worked safe enough that I was able to take my package home with me every night although I did have a couple of close calls stepping over the shifter in my old 8 cube:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks for the advice but I will continue to do it the way that I do.

sendagain

Just let the driver get your stop before he leaves the building: easiest stop of his day. I used to send my package to a made up address on my route and sign for my delivery while I was out on route. I got my package and a stop credit as well.

However, when I bought a Dell computer. I told them to make sure they sent the packages UPS. They turned around and sent it by the post office and I had a long drive to go and pick up my computer from them. Those idiots at Omaha Steaks aren't much better. Sure is some crap help working out there these days.