Talking Numbers: Buy UPS or FedEx?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't purchase stock in a company I work for. If the company gets in financial problems not only is your stock on the line, so might your job. There's plenty of other things to invest in out there if you're looking for a dividend stock.

OptimusPrime

The ease of buying thru payroll deduction. Suddenly your $50 a week is a thousand shares.

What are the dividends like? I mean amount wise. Was thinking of maybe taking my tax check(a couple grand) and sinking it into UPS stock. Then just rolling the dividends into buying more for the next 25 years of my employment.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
What are the dividends like? I mean amount wise. Was thinking of maybe taking my tax check(a couple grand) and sinking it into UPS stock. Then just rolling the dividends into buying more for the next 25 years of my employment.

57 cents a share at present. I get a 570 check every 3 months. I do not do dividend re investment.

BleedsBrown

you want SOLID dividends? One word.... Altria... thats al you need to know

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Do a little more research before investing based on what a couple people tell you.

bluehdmc

There are a lot of other stocks you can buy and have the dividends reinvest, some you only have to buy 1 share.

Google "Dividend reinvestment plans" and "direct stock purchase plans"

It's a good idea to diversify anyway. I buy UPS through payroll deduction, more for the ease than anything else, the 5% discount isn't really that great. You also have to declare 5% of the selling price when and if you sell as ordinary income.

I also buy IBM, Caterpillar, and GE, with direct stock purchase plans. I don't invest big bucks, just a steady $25 to $50 a month withdrawn directly out of my bank acct.

Some of these are through Bank of New York Mellon which is the agent for UPS employee stock purchases, some are through ComputerShare which recently purchased BNY Mellon.

I just find it's relatively pain free, and I get the advantage of dollar cost averaging and before you know it you have build up a nice little nest egg.

The "day traders" will tell you all about the deals they've made but I really don't have the time to research stuff. As I said before you know it you have a nice nest egg. (The day traders also don't usually brag about their losses.) I like the idea of buying companies that I like. A big part of the UPS thing is the convienence, and current dividends are I think 3% which beats savings accts.

Returntosender

If you do? Wait for the dip in the price. Earlier in the month the stock was in low 70s. If you choose the DSEPP their is 2 year hold before you sell. You are allowed to blocks of 100 shares though Mellon, which don't require the 2 year hold. If you want dividends, here's a website for you. Definitive Dividend Stock List - Dividend.com

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you do? Wait for the dip in the price. Earlier in the month the stock was in low 70s. If you choose the DSEPP their is 2 year hold before you sell. You are allowed to blocks of 100 shares though Mellon, which don't require the 2 year hold. If you want dividends, here's a website for you. Definitive Dividend Stock List - Dividend.com

It has been a while since I have used DSEPP but I thought it was based on the lowest price of the quarter.

Although I own some UPS...if you want a good dividend return look at symbols APU or CLMT. As we speak (although it's down day) APU is 39.80/share and the dividend is 80 cents. Clmt 31.21/share with a dividend of 62/share. Both stocks are quarterly dividend just like UPS with a much better return!!!!!!

Returntosender

It has been a while since I have used DSEPP but I thought it was based on the lowest price of the quarter.
Not anymore. The plan purchases on the last day of the UPS quarter at 5% off on that day closing price. The current participants of the plan imo would be lucky if the last day price is 75.