Tattoos?

1080Driver

Its never been an issue in my center or building as far as I know (20yrs). We have guys (me included) with visible tats & its never come up. It may be hard for them to enforce it now since we have an on-car supe with visible tats & he doesn't try covering them up. Just another Flavor of the Month

The Milkman

Its never been an issue in my center or building as far as I know (20yrs). We have guys (me included) with visible tats & its never come up. It may be hard for them to enforce it now since we have an on-car supe with visible tats & he doesn't try covering them up. Just another Flavor of the Month

What's the big deal on Tats?? I did my Job well with or without them.. A Tat does not change your work ethic..Appearances can be deceiving but all that matters is the person under the skin that counts...:peaceful:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
For better or worse, everything is offensive to somebody. So they decided to nip it in the bud and have the driver cover all the tats.
How can the person claim individuality when "everyone" is getting them

I have noticed several things that have to do with body art and piercings.

1, very few people ever go get them by themselves, it is usually something done in a crowd of "well wishers" or those that keep daring you on.
2. No matter how nice the artwork, you cant cover ugly. As a matter of fact, adding art or especially body piercings only add to the intensity of ugly. Just like stupid, you cant fix ugly.
3. The number one selective surgery in the USA is tattoo removal. Learn from the stupidity of others instead of your own stupidity. Its far cheaper.

d
thats great but thats your opinion,, seems your very upset about people that get tattoos,, using words like stupid and ugly. its ok tho,, those scary tattoo people wont come and get you,, on a side note relative to the topic and not sir soapbox danny,, i have had vis tats for 15 yrs,, i had management people with exposed tats over the years,, in my center, if you had the tats prior to the flavor of the month then they are fine, no need to cover, the policy is diff for new hires tho...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Interesting.

I know my brother finds his son-in-law's tat offensive. The tat is his daughters name right across his back. And the son-in-law likes to go shirtless.

The offensive part you ask? HE got the tatoo to show his love for his wife after she caught him cheating on her...... again.........

d

Its not the tattoo itself that your brother finds offensive....its the dishonest motive behind it, as well as the lack of taste shown by the son-in-law for going shirtless.

If the son-in-law was a hardworking, faithful husband who loved his wife and treated her with respect, I doubt that the tattoo would be as much of an issue.

over9five

Staff member
Interesting.

I know my brother finds his son-in-law's tat offensive. The tat is his daughters name right across his back. And the son-in-law likes to go shirtless.

The offensive part you ask? HE got the tatoo to show his love for his wife after she caught him cheating on her...... again.........

d

No offense, but I think she is the stupid one for taking him back.......again.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Lets cut the crap. I dont care if you get a tat or not. I could care less what you do with your body. Its yours. You only get one. What you do with it is totally up to you. And I dont have the right to tell you what to/not to do with it.

Now, when your "rights" start interfering with mine, or someone else's rights, then that is where the rub lies. You claim that your rights trumps the right of someone else, and you will fight to the death because you got "bolls"?

I see it as the employer has rights as to the product he displays to the customer. It is the customer that tells UPS what they want (usually, but again there are numerous exceptions). And it is up to UPS to take care of the customer and share holder and provide what it is they want.

If there is nothing said at your center about tats, fine. If there is, deal with it. They have the right to determine what appearance standards they want.

d PS, Over, I could not agree more.

CRASH501

TATU_12.10 AND THE_BOYS 022.jpgI will not be wearing long sleeves upon mmy return to UPS , as I never have
TATU_12.10 AND THE_BOYS 022.jpg

soberups

I see it as the employer has rights as to the product he displays to the customer. It is the customer that tells UPS what they want (usually, but again there are numerous exceptions). And it is up to UPS to take care of the customer and share holder and provide what it is they want.

If there is nothing said at your center about tats, fine. If there is, deal with it. They have the right to determine what appearance standards they want.

But they do not have the right to arbitrarily change the rules after the fact.

Its one thing to inform prospective new hires that visible tats are not allowed. Its another thing entirely to tell somebody who was hired as a driver 20 years ago with a visible tat on his arm that he must now start wearing long sleeved shirts just because some cubicle-dweller got a wild hair up his butt about tats and decided to make a new rule.

Otherwise, the company would be free to start dictating all manner of personal appearance standards to us. Can you imagine what it would be like if the people who ran this company were allowed to dictate to us how our hair must be styled, or what color of makeup that women had to wear?

The Milkman

Its one thing to inform prospective new hires that visible tats are not allowed. Its another thing entirely to tell somebody who was hired as a driver 20 years ago with a visible tat on his arm that he must now start wearing long sleeved shirts just because some cubicle-dweller got a wild hair up his butt about tats and decided to make a new rule.

Otherwise, the company would be free to start dictating all manner of personal appearance standards to us. Can you imagine what it would be like if the people who ran this company were allowed to dictate to us how our hair must be styled, or what color of makeup that women had to wear?

Scary Thought:surprised:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I think this issue is complicated by the fact that the lion share of the drivers are hired from the part time ranks, during which time they aren't prohibited from displaying tattoos.
The same issue applies to jewelry, hair styles, and facial hair.
I have a hard time believing that anybody outside of an off street hire is not familiar, or didn't notice the appearance guidelines for UPS drivers.
These guidelines were outlined for me 17 years ago when I made the transition from part time to full time driver.
Fortunately I never considered any type of body art or growing a mullet.
I may have sported a goatee in recent years, but it's not allowed, so be it.
For those considering these forms of "expression" realize your actions will come with a degree of consequences.
I don't believe for a second that any panel or arbitrator will protect anybodies right to violate the personal appearance guidelines, past practice or not.
But good luck to all who care to challenge it.
It won't be me, I have bigger fish to fry.

soberups

I think this issue is complicated by the fact that the lion share of the drivers are hired from the part time ranks, during which time they aren't prohibited from displaying tattoos.
The same issue applies to jewelry, hair styles, and facial hair.
I have a hard time believing that anybody outside of an off street hire is not familiar, or didn't notice the appearance guidelines for UPS drivers.
These guidelines were outlined for me 17 years ago when I made the transition from part time to full time driver.

Nothing was said to me at all about tattoos when I got hired as a part-timer 24 years ago.

In my location the company started informing prospective new hires about the no-visible-tats-for-drivers rule about 10 years ago.

They also tried to apply the new rule to drivers who had been hired with visible tats and had been wearing short sleeved shirts for years without anything being said. Our local was successful in getting these drivers "grandfathered" in, although they must cover up any new tats.

I personally have no dog in this fight, since my one and only tattoo is on my upper arm and cannot be seen without taking my shirt off and I have no intention of getting another one. My only concern is that we cannot allow a precedent to be set for allowing the company to arbitrarily change rules after the fact without first negotiating with the union. Otherwise, we open the door to all sorts of petty and ridiculous rules being created by the same corporate morons who already make our lives miserable with the flavor-of-the-week metrics that they are continually shoving down our throats.

I absolutely agree with reasonable rules about maintaining a professional appearance. I just dont trust UPS to be reasonable.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Nothing was said to me at all about tattoos when I got hired as a part-timer 24 years ago.

I wasn't informed when starting as a part timer 25 yrs ago either.
Not sure that it was necessary at that point.
These appearance guidelines didn't apply to me as a part timer.
I wonder what percentage of part time hires stick around for a full time opportunity.
I was made aware when I received uniforms as a part time air driver 20 yrs ago.
I was, once again, informed during my qualifying period 17 yrs ago as I transitioned from part time to full time.
Isn't that the point where the onus is on the company to detail expectations and the employee to decide if they will be able to comply?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Websters defines the word arbitrary as "Resulting from personal inclination entirely, decided by chance or whim". So it really has no bearing on the decision to require the employees cover up tattos. Things, for better or worse, change. What used to be the stray service member that had a tat on his upper arm, or more rarely on the forearm is not what we are talking about. ITs the guy/gal that has the legs, hands, face tatted. Not to mention multitudes of piercings.

So the need for new rules and regulations has happened. The employees that have demanded more "self impression and individuality" have pushed the envelope to the point that some sort of action had to take place.

THe company can legally change what it deems proper appearance standards and has done so in the past. All they have to do is equally apply the rules across the board to everyone. I am sure exceptions will be made for those that are grandfathered in, but those will be in the minority.

Again, understand, this would never been an issues had it not been for the few wanting to "show their ink" regardless of taste or acceptance by the company. And now they want to force the issue.

d

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Websters defines the word arbitrary as "Resulting from personal inclination entirely, decided by chance or whim". So it really has no bearing on the decision to require the employees cover up tattos. Things, for better or worse, change. What used to be the stray service member that had a tat on his upper arm, or more rarely on the forearm is not what we are talking about. ITs the guy/gal that has the legs, hands, face tatted. Not to mention multitudes of piercings.

So the need for new rules and regulations has happened. The employees that have demanded more "self impression and individuality" have pushed the envelope to the point that some sort of action had to take place.

THe company can legally change what it deems proper appearance standards and has done so in the past. All they have to do is equally apply the rules across the board to everyone. I am sure exceptions will be made for those that are grandfathered in, but those will be in the minority.

Again, understand, this would never been an issues had it not been for the few wanting to "show their ink" regardless of taste or acceptance by the company. And now they want to force the issue.

d
piercings are not allowed,, that was made clear from the beginning of my career ,,tattoos were NEVER addressed,, maybe they can have a from this point on perspective on new driver hires and thats fine,, had you told me almost 27 yrs ago no visible tattoos were allowed i would have not got them, but you cant change the game now...on a side note i wish ups would fire all fat people,, they disgust me

over9five

Staff member
I think you people that say UPS can't change its mind and say ALL tats must be covered no matter how long you've been displaying them are deceiving yourselves. It's their game, they can do what they want.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Have what I consider a non-offensive tat on my left bicep. Went thru about a half dozen center manager's who never said a thing about it being visible. Along comes the witch, says I have to cover it up. Stopped in at the adult toy store on my area and purchased some nipple pasties. Used those for a few weeks and she changed her tune. Have not had a problem since!