Macramento85

I was injured on the job mostly due to fatigue and handling so much of the weight as is the case for most 22.4 drivers. (9-5 list doesn't protect us so we need up getting these cherry picked bull:censored2: routes) The question I have is if a doctors orders explicitly state no driving commerciall vehicles, nothing over 5lbs, no over head work, no bending down work what "work" is there that I can do? Are they allowed to have me come in and do the same training on computer for the next 30 days or is that a bit redundant to justify? Where is the line drawn/call made that there isn't any work for me to do within the docs recomendations?

Dr.Brownz

I was injured on the job mostly due to fatigue and handling so much of the weight as is the case for most 22.4 drivers. (9-5 list doesn't protect us so we need up getting these cherry picked bull* routes) The question I have is if a doctors orders explicitly state no driving commerciall vehicles, nothing over 5lbs, no over head work, no bending down work what "work" is there that I can do? Are they allowed to have me come in and do the same training on computer for the next 30 days or is that a bit redundant to justify? Where is the line drawn/call made that there isn't any work for me to do within the docs recomendations?

GET A LAWYER. THIS COMPANY IS RUN BY IMMORAL :censored2:S THEY WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE TO MAKE A NUMBER ON A REPORT

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I was injured on the job mostly due to fatigue and handling so much of the weight as is the case for most 22.4 drivers. (9-5 list doesn't protect us so we need up getting these cherry picked bull* routes) The question I have is if a doctors orders explicitly state no driving commerciall vehicles, nothing over 5lbs, no over head work, no bending down work what "work" is there that I can do? Are they allowed to have me come in and do the same training on computer for the next 30 days or is that a bit redundant to justify? Where is the line drawn/call made that there isn't any work for me to do within the docs recomendations?
They can put you on TAW for 30 days then you go on disability

542thruNthru

Let me guess. You want to be able to just stay home and get paid to play video games. Well the company doesn't have to allow that unless the doctor says so.

They can have you sit in the office everyday doing nothing if they want. As long as you're getting paid and they are not violating the doctors restrictions not much you can do.

PPH_over_9000

They can put you on for longer than 30 days. It's just most areas have language that after 30 days they have to make it a permanent position.

And that more local information will be found in supplements and/or riders, correct? Because this is what the national master agreement has to say about TAW, and nowhere is there a mention of a 30-day limit:

Article 14

Section 2. Temporary Alternate Work The Company may continue a modified work program on a nondiscriminatory basis. This program is designed to provide temporary work opportunity to those employees who are unable to perform their normal work assignments due to an on-the-job injury. Employees shall be provided their guaranteed hours with a start time no more than two (2) hours earlier or two (2) hours later than their normal start time for the duration of TAW, provided the work is available. The Company will make reasonable efforts to ensure that the assignment is within this window. These guaranteed hours will be reduced as medical restrictions dictate. Pay rates for TAW assignments will be at the employee’s regular rate of pay.

With the exception of feeder drivers, when an employee is released to return to work after a work injury of six (6) months or greater, the Employer shall provide, if requested by the employee, a work hardening schedule in which the employee can work their guaranteed hours for up to five (5) days. When possible, package drivers will provide advance notice of return to work so as to be counted toward the eight hour requests.

The Employer will develop a list of possible TAW assignments by location. It is understood that this list may not be all-inclusive and management maintains the right to determine the availability and designation of all TAW assignments. The Employer shall provide the names and assignments of employees on TAW upon the Local Union’s request.

In areas that have existing TAW programs providing better employee benefits and protections than guaranteed by this Article, such protections and benefits will not be diminished by this Article.

Any such program that has been, or is in effect, as of the effective date of this Agreement, shall be reduced to writing, a copy of which must be submitted to the National Safety and Health Committee and the affected Local Union. If either party wants to include nonwork related injuries or illnesses under the TAW program the parties will meet and agree upon such amendment. The Employer shall also meet with the Local Union upon request to discuss any changes the Local Union may propose in the TAW program. Any unresolved issues will be referred to the National Safety and Health Grievance Committee for resolution.

@Macramento85 At the very least, I would advise you to get your union hall involved. They can handle the contractual side of this situation, that's what they're there for. If the company tries to force you onto disability, your BA will likely suggest you get an attorney and he or she can help put you in contact with a practice that's worked with your Local in the past. It will have to be your decision to do this, however, and it's a decision that I feel is not to be taken lightly.

As far as what you can do, it doesn't sound like your restrictions allow you to do very much... but luckily every building has an office and phones that need answering. You'll likely be doing some kind of office work.

542thruNthru

And that more local information will be found in supplements and/or riders, correct? Because this is what the national master agreement has to say about TAW, and nowhere is there a mention of a 30-day limit:

Article 14

Section 2. Temporary Alternate Work The Company may continue a modified work program on a nondiscriminatory basis. This program is designed to provide temporary work opportunity to those employees who are unable to perform their normal work assignments due to an on-the-job injury. Employees shall be provided their guaranteed hours with a start time no more than two (2) hours earlier or two (2) hours later than their normal start time for the duration of TAW, provided the work is available. The Company will make reasonable efforts to ensure that the assignment is within this window. These guaranteed hours will be reduced as medical restrictions dictate. Pay rates for TAW assignments will be at the employee’s regular rate of pay.

With the exception of feeder drivers, when an employee is released to return to work after a work injury of six (6) months or greater, the Employer shall provide, if requested by the employee, a work hardening schedule in which the employee can work their guaranteed hours for up to five (5) days. When possible, package drivers will provide advance notice of return to work so as to be counted toward the eight hour requests.

The Employer will develop a list of possible TAW assignments by location. It is understood that this list may not be all-inclusive and management maintains the right to determine the availability and designation of all TAW assignments. The Employer shall provide the names and assignments of employees on TAW upon the Local Union’s request.

In areas that have existing TAW programs providing better employee benefits and protections than guaranteed by this Article, such protections and benefits will not be diminished by this Article.

Any such program that has been, or is in effect, as of the effective date of this Agreement, shall be reduced to writing, a copy of which must be submitted to the National Safety and Health Committee and the affected Local Union. If either party wants to include nonwork related injuries or illnesses under the TAW program the parties will meet and agree upon such amendment. The Employer shall also meet with the Local Union upon request to discuss any changes the Local Union may propose in the TAW program. Any unresolved issues will be referred to the National Safety and Health Grievance Committee for resolution.

@Macramento85 At the very least, I would advise you to get your union hall involved. They can handle the contractual side of this situation, that's what they're there for. If the company tries to force you onto disability, your BA will likely suggest you get an attorney and he or she can help put you in contact with a practice that's worked with your Local in the past. It will have to be your decision to do this, however, and it's a decision that I feel is not to be taken lightly.

As far as what you can do, it doesn't sound like your restrictions allow you to do very much... but luckily every building has an office and phones that need answering. You'll likely be doing some kind of office work.
I can't speak for every where but the 30 days thing is something spread by the members. The reason for this is because after 30 days a grievance can be filed for the position that the member on TAW is doing to be put up as a permanent position.

Management does it's best to keep you on TAW because once you go on "lost time" the center gets charged $5,000.

We've had members on TAW for 5 months sometimes. It all depends on your restrictions. If you can't do anything at all at some point someone is going to say to your manager. "Why do you keep coding this employee as safety for 8 hours a day? What are they doing?"

If you have light restrictions than they can find things for you to do and can more easily explain why you're still on TAW.

I don't know about every supplemental agreement but I believe the only TAW language is in the NMA.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I can't speak for every where but the 30 days thing is something spread by the members. The reason for this is because after 30 days a grievance can be filed for the position that the member on TAW is doing to be put up as a permanent position.

Management does it's best to keep you on TAW because once you go on "lost time" the center gets charged $5,000.

We've had members on TAW for 5 months sometimes. It all depends on your restrictions. If you can't do anything at all at some point someone is going to say to your manager. "Why do you keep coding this employee as safety for 8 hours a day? What are they doing?"

If you have light restrictions than they can find things for you to do and can more easily explain why you're still on TAW.

I don't know about every supplemental agreement but I believe the only TAW language is in the NMA.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I was on TAW for almost a year once!