Tax Filing Question..

BlackCat

When the day comes when we receive our retro check how are we supposed to file our returns when technically some of that money was EARNED in 2013.

Are we supposed to amend this years return to show more earnings in 2013?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When the day comes when we receive our retro check how are we supposed to file our returns when technically some of that money was EARNED in 2013.

Are we supposed to amend this years return to show more earnings in 2013?
You might have to amend 2013 and 2014 the way it's going.:biting:

BlackCat

I would think the answer by Scratch is the correct one, but i cant find an answer.

All I find is

Reporting Income
The gross income on your tax return includes earned income such as wages, salaries, tips, sales commissions and self-employment income. You must also report income you receive from interest, dividends, capital gain distributions, gambling winnings, disability income or unemployment income as taxable income

I mean technically we earned it in 2013, just haven't received it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I did my taxes a few days ago, and I was surprised that I will get some of my money back. Not related to BlackCat's original question, I deducted union dues, work shoes, and socks as work expenses.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I would think the answer by Scratch is the correct one, but i cant find an answer.

All I find is

I mean technically we earned it in 2013, just haven't received it.
The first paycheck in January is always money earned in Dec. of the year before. Same situation.

EasyTrucker

I did my taxes a few days ago, and I was surprised that I will get some of my money back. Not related to BlackCat's original question, I deducted union dues, work shoes, and socks as work expenses.

Socks are not required to do the job so shouldn't be in your deductions.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Avalon

Avalon
I asked my accountant this. She said no matter when it was earned you file it in the year it was taxed. In this case it will be taxed in 2014 (probably) so it is to be taxable income on the 2014 w2 (probably 2014).

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I asked my accountant this. She said no matter when it was earned you file it in the year it was taxed. In this case it will be taxed in 2014 (probably) so it is to be taxable income on the 2014 w2 (probably 2014).

Sent using BrownCafe App

Your retro check will be added to your total earnings for 2014.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Union dues, uniform accessories and maintenance, and footwear. I use $10/week for uniform maintenance. I do not include my cellphone as it is not worth the time and effort to determine the work-related portion of my bill.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's no different than a stock you purchase and sell. You don't pay taxes in the year you bought it and it went up or claim a loss, only in the year you have realized gains or loss.

Avalon

Avalon
My brother is a cop. He said razors, shaving cream, electric razors can all be written off if your job has facial hair requirements.
I have not verified this for myself, but it may be something to look into.

Sent using BrownCafe App