Tax Retun information needed

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My wife and I go to a local small business owner. $85, out in a half hour and I don't have to do ANYTHING but sit there.

She usually gets us a nice pretty penny back
One of my best friends works for an accounting firm. $90 an hour. I'm hoping its not too many hours

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
One of my best friends works for an accounting firm. $90 an hour. I'm hoping its not too many hours
I would shop around for a fixed rate tax preparer with a good reputation. my daughter and son in law ( contractor) paid $250 but the tax person saved them over 5 grand the first year. pretty good investment.

person who gets paid by the hour will never give you an iron glad quote. they always say something like "it shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours " but then you get the bill.......

( I used to prepare tax forms professionally )

oldngray

nowhere special
H&R Block has a free federal tax program. They make money by charging you for the state but still a good deal. Same software they would use if you go to an H&R Block office and pay them several times as much for them to fill in the blanks.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I use HR Block home edition. I sold a small business last year and sold some stock. Walked me through all of it. I paid an accountant years ago and I had to do all the leg work. Might as well punch in my own numbers.

oldngray

nowhere special
I use HR Block home edition. I sold a small business last year and sold some stock. Walked me through all of it. I paid an accountant years ago and I had to do all the leg work. Might as well punch in my own numbers.

The hard part is gathering together all of the records you need. As long as you keep those organized doing taxes isn't difficult. Much cheaper to punch those numbers in yourself.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My wife is a CPA and is going into her peak season now. She does many returns on the side for friends, family and neighbors. Blows my mind how much people are willing to pay her to do simple tax forms because they are afraid to try them themselves.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The first year my wife and I were married we got ripped off by h&r block for like $250, and got the smallest return we've got since we've been married.
i was trained by h and r block and would only use them for simple returns. if you ask around you should find a competent tax person who can help you use every available deduction. ask as many people as you can. chamber of commerce, other business leaders. usually the same name will pop up more than others.

I tell people that if a tax person cant save you at least their fee ( compared to previous returns ) then they are not worth hiring. I only did simple returns. the tax code is so complicated that I didn't have the confidence to do more complicated returns. even 7 out of 10 IRS reps will give you a different answer to a tax question. scary.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
My wife is a CPA and is going into her peak season now. She does many returns on the side for friends, family and neighbors. Blows my mind how much people are willing to pay her to do simple tax forms because they are afraid to try them themselves.
most people are intimidated by the tax book and forms but the instructions are mostly easy to understand. every line of the tax form is explained in the book. all you have to do is go step by step. if you run into a problem you can always call the IRS automated line for a explanation.

sure it takes time the first time but you will get a lot of satisfaction out of it. then in the following years you can use previous years as a template to help speed you thru the return.

we had to itemize but it still only took me an hour to do my federal and state returns. turbo tax is real easy. you can not proceed with the return if you make a mistake. they walk you thru it step by step and even give you suggestions to max out your deductions. that alone helps it pay for itself. plus you get your refund if any a lot quicker.